+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience different from degree

nabil123

Jan 12, 2015
Hi all,

Given that

1. I have a bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering from a Singaporean university and graduated in 2013,

2. I work as a business analyst (not in ICT) at a financial firm here in Singapore, with substantial programming work for analytics and,

3. Thus, I have zero work experience in electrical engineering, but some experience in programming at my current job,

What NOC occupation will I be given experience points under? Would it be 2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers

Will it be an issue that I have a job in an occupation different from my degree?

dlasantha

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
colombo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 nov 2014
Doc's Request.
Not Yet
IELTS Request
Done
There is no relationship between the Degree (Education) and the work experience.

For ex. you may have your degree in Civil Engineering and working for finance NOC. Still your Job role is matching to the NOC duties , you can claim points and apply under NOC specified, while receiving full point for education

nabil123

Jan 12, 2015
Thanks for your answer dlasantha. Given my current job description in Singapore above, what would you recommend is the NOC I should apply for? Note that I am not in an IT role but rather I pull out data from several databases with SQL and produce analytics using business intelligence software, which is used by commercial teams. So I am in a commercial team.

dlasantha

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
colombo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 nov 2014
Doc's Request.
Not Yet
IELTS Request
Done
I'm afraid that I want be able to give you proper answer on this.

but I would advice to see the NOC database published by Canadian Human Resource ministry to see what will match to you.

shyamkumar

Dec 10, 2014
nabil ji ,it is ok to have work experience different from degee but visa officer may not satisfied with your documents ,may be doubtful .it happened in past

nkalra

Champion Member
Sep 8, 2011
nabil123 said:
Hi all,

Given that

1. I have a bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering from a Singaporean university and graduated in 2013,

2. I work as a business analyst (not in ICT) at a financial firm here in Singapore, with substantial programming work for analytics and,

3. Thus, I have zero work experience in electrical engineering, but some experience in programming at my current job,

What NOC occupation will I be given experience points under? Would it be 2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers

Will it be an issue that I have a job in an occupation different from my degree?
1st part of your question has already answered by folks.

2nd part of your question I don't know exactly this will fall under 2174 or not, but as an advice be very careful when getting your JD on paper from your employer. As this is the main thing in FSWP to get into the race. Especially this noc 2174 is the most controversial noc I would say as it is very much in line with 2173,75 and other counter part noc. As I am being in IT I can tell you how easy it is to manipulate the JD to match 2174 for the person working in 2173 ;D you know what I mean even the VO are aware of that, I have seen many people application getting rejected under this NOC due to JD mismatch.
ATB!