+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience change post ITA?

Lrawar

Feb 24, 2023
Hey, I have 4 years 11 months of work experience with a company, but the first three months were an unpaid internship, which technically I cant claimim points for.

My question is, should I state the start date with the company after the unpaid internship or since I started working with the company post ITA?

In my previous work permit application & express entry profile I used the initial start date(including the internship). Is it better to stay consistent with the dates or are changes OK post ITA?

Any recommendations would be helpful here!

MaxFederico

Star Member
May 6, 2018
You need to include the period that you were paid in the work experience, and the part that you were not paid, in the personal history and mention it as internship.

Lrawar

Feb 24, 2023
Hi, thank you for your reply! What if my employment letter from the employer mentions the start date which inlcudes the 3 month internship? And do you think it's OK to make changes to the dates post ITA?

MaxFederico

Star Member
May 6, 2018
If the letter doesn't mention the 3-month unpaid internship, you need to get a new one with that info included and submit it instead.

Regarding making changes to the dates post ITA, it is ok and there is no issue with that.

Lrawar

Feb 24, 2023
And if i'm not able to get a new one, what is the best solution? Would keeping the dates as is and adding a LOE be sufficient? I do have contracts and pay stubs to support my entire work experience.

MaxFederico

Star Member
May 6, 2018
If you can't get a new letter, just like what you said, in the work history, put the start date when the paid period started, and then move those three months to the personal history.

An LOE would also be good to include in your Client Information, although it's not really necessary.