+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work as a Medical doctor in canada

lauramd

Apr 16, 2020
I am a international medical doctor, working at an emergency room hospital and specialized in Psychiatry.
]I would like to know what are the options to migrate to canada and work as a MD.
I have a son who is a permanent resident in Vancouver

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a international medical doctor, working at an emergency room hospital and specialized in Psychiatry.
]I would like to know what are the options to migrate to canada and work as a MD.
I have a son who is a permanent resident in Vancouver
They key thing to be aware of is that you will not be able to work as a doctor when you first arrive in Canada. You will need to go through a multi-year process in order to be allowed to practice as a doctor in Canada.

https://physiciansapply.ca/how-to-become-a-practising-physician-in-canada/

In terms of options for immigrating, you either need to qualify on your own through an economic immigration stream like Experss Entry (if you qualify) or you can be sponsored by your son (if he meets the minimum income requirements and is also able to be selected to be a sponsor).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How old are you? Where did you train and work?

Unless you are from a few countries you will have to pass you licensing exams, match to an open residency (if one is available) and then repeat a 5 year residency in psychiatry. For most IMGs the issue is not finding a leftover residency because there are very few left. Psychiatry residency are not usually very popular so you have a better chance but you will have to live where you get selected and if you are older the hospitals usually don’t want to invest in retraining IMGs. Not sure if it will be the same for psychiatry. Overall you are probably looking at 7 years minimum until you can be a practicing physician again If everything goes perfectly.

You would need to qualify to immigrate first either through express entry or your child sponsoring you.