+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work after LMIA

harpreet ss

Star Member
Apr 21, 2012
Hey everyone,
If we have one year experience and we are eligible for CEC programme do we still have to work for a company if we got LMIA for Permanent Residence OR
We can quit that job and start work for different corporation?
Thanks in advance

cyt0plas

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you are a Permanent Resident, you may work for whoever you wish.

Until you are a Permanent Resident, if you have an employer-specific work permit, you are limited to that employer.

harpreet ss

Star Member
Apr 21, 2012
I got it but I have an PGWP ie open work permit and that LMIA is just for to support my PR not to get a new work permit.Why I am confused about it because on top of the LMIA it says the TSWP employee will work after PR.Correct me if I am wrong?
Thanks in advance

cyt0plas

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harpreet ss said:
I got it but I have an PGWP ie open work permit and that LMIA is just for to support my PR not to get a new work permit.Why I am confused about it because on top of the LMIA it says the TSWP employee will work after PR.Correct me if I am wrong?
Thanks in advance
As a permanent resident, you are legally free to work wherever you want. It's poor form, however, to leave an employer as soon as you get an LMIA, and it makes employers less likely to get LMIAs for anyone in the future.

There's nothing on the LMIA application that I can see that says you will work afterwards. Did the employer make a contract of his own with you to work after getting LMIA?

harpreet ss

Star Member
Apr 21, 2012
No there is no contract with my employer but my consultant told me that I have to work with employer till I get my PR.

cyt0plas

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harpreet ss said:
No there is no contract with my employer but my consultant told me that I have to work with employer till I get my PR.
Yes. Ethically, if the employer gets you a LMIA, you should probably stick with them for a while. Legally, the day you land, you can do what you want.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
Just a question.

Did you applied as currently working with LMIA? Then you shouldn't change the job.

Did you applied as "job offer with LMIA"? Then you can change job but if/when you notify it to CIC could be a problem. Any change in your conditions while PR application is ongoing should be notified to CIC, don't do it is misrepresentation, so bad for your application.

Somewhere in your application you did fill out the name of your current company as current employ (at least in your work story), so if changed to a new employer you have to update this form/forms.

So far you can change employer with PGWP, but this can arise suspicions about the validity of your LMIA 600 points.

You'll loose the right to use LMIA points if you used as "currently working with LMIA" .

If you get the points as "job offer with LMIA", VO can suspect your former employer job offer could not still being valid. VO can contact your former employer to confirm job offer validity, if you left the company I don't know if your employer will keep the job offer based in a LMIA which cost him money.

I'm assuming your current employer under PGWP get a LMIA and provides a job offer.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but it's not worth to take any chances that could jeopardize your PR application, specially when EE processing times are 3-6 months.

If the work change is after get PR (after landing), then it's up to you.