Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
explorer101 said:
I do not like you Capt without any reason, you are awesome. Thanks for highlighting it. Somehow I love Canada and Canadians. These people are fantastic.......
Thank U Sir!

ainpfamily

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hey qorax .. can you guide about any firm/guys in Calgary :)?
thanks,

qorax said:
U got to do some serious networking here -- I know of guys/firms who'd assure 100% employment to newcomers - yes, also for IT. Few of our Friends-Circle r working thru them... fetched their jobs in less than a month.

Qorax

gmr

Jul 24, 2010
canada_loveLY said:
Good one Jagdish,

You are right....there are actually no jobs these days for IT people. I am also finding similar problem after having similar experience.

lovely

What is your skills ......?

David_TVO

Star Member
Jan 29, 2011
qorax said:
Dear David,

U... I don't agree with your connotation that there could be something wrong in the system. In fact it's the contrary -- it'd be foolish to blame the system...
If I don't succeed here, after 10 yrs., there's something wrong in me - not with anyone else, let alone the Govt ...Most of those vids that u showcase r of ppl who lack the commonest traits for succeeding -- they much need to beef-up their ppl skills, presentation skills, language skills, GA & their overall personality. To succeed in a foreign land [not just Canada] ...cry, the media hype et all -- but, the moot point remains that I have failed myself ...Qorax
Dear Qorax,

Thanks for sharing your views with me.

Your opinions do run counter to the current research and policies debates centering around Canadian immigration. Today's immigrants are more skilled and have a higher level of education than the previous generation, yet they earn far less and show less upward economic mobility. There is "a widening income gap between newcomers and Canadian-born people, and a jobless rate among recent immigrants that was already more than double that of native-born people. If you have one segment of the population that doesn't have the opportunities that the other has, it raises fundamental questions," (Craig Alexander, Deputy Chief economist at Toronto-Dominion Bank)

This is a serious concern for the Canadian economy especially when you consider that this trend may extend to the children of Canadian immigrants.
Statistics Canada: Economic integration of immigrants' children
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/75-001-x/2007110/article/10372-eng.htm

And, it appears that the problem is systemic:
Transatlantic Academy: The declining fortunes of Canada's economic immigration program
http://www.gmfus.org/galleries/ct_publication_attachments/TA_OShea_CandadaEconImmigrationProgram.pdf

Derek Hum & Wayne Simpson, University of Manitoba: Economic Assimilation of Canadian Immigrants:
http://pcerii.metropolis.net/Virtual%20Library/FinalReports/HumSimpson05.pdf

In my previous post, I do not believe that I indicated that successful integration is the sole responsibility of the government. You are right to indicate that the greatest determinant of success is the individual, his or her skill sets, and the person's determination to succeed. But, to say that "it'd be foolish to blame the system ... If I don't succeed here, after 10 yrs., there's something wrong in me - not with anyone else, let alone the Govt ." Is not only unfair, but as demonstrated by recent studies, it is also inaccurate.

It is right to question the system and look for improvements. Immigration is the life blood of Canada, and immigration policy must be constantly adjusted to make sure that we are getting the most effective results. The statistics point to problems that need to be addressed. And, Canada is addressing these problems. If we accept your view that the system bares no responsibility, then why is Canada reviewing immigration policy? Of course, this latest review may result in a more stringent point system and tougher screening. But, the goal is to make integration more successful, which in turn means that skilled immigrants should end up in their fields with higher incomes which in turn will produce the greatest economic benefit for the country. Every immigrant that returns to their native country is a huge loss for Canada. The resources devoted to screening, processing, and settlement are wasted. It is a cost the country cannot afford.

Re:
"Most of those vids that u showcase r of ppl who lack the commonest traits for succeeding -- they much need to beef-up their ppl skills, presentation skills, language skills, GA & their overall personality. To succeed in a foreign land [not just Canada] ..."

I would take issue with your above statement, but this is a matter of personal opinion. However, your view does run contrary to the comments submitted to our blog (http://www.tvo.org/cfmx/tvoorg/theagenda/index.cfm?page_id=3&action=blog&subaction=viewPost&post_id=14228&blog_id=323); comments from people with similar stories to those told in our videos. I will be revisiting these people in two years, and time will tell if they had "the right stuff."

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I would like permission to post a portion of your comments to our blog. Please let me know.

Sincerely,

David
Voices of New Canadians Web Series
http://www.tvo.org/cfmx/tvoorg/theagenda/index.cfm?page_id=3&action=blog&subaction=viewPost&post_id=14228&blog_id=323

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
David_TVO said:
Dear Qorax,

Thanks for sharing your views with me.

Your opinions do run counter to the current research and policies debates centering around Canadian immigration. Today's immigrants are more skilled and have a higher level of education than the previous generation, yet they earn far less and show less upward economic mobility. There is "a widening income gap between newcomers and Canadian-born people, and a jobless rate among recent immigrants that was already more than double that of native-born people. If you have one segment of the population that doesn't have the opportunities that the other has, it raises fundamental questions," (Craig Alexander, Deputy Chief economist at Toronto-Dominion Bank)

This is a serious concern for the Canadian economy especially when you consider that this trend may extend to the children of Canadian immigrants.
Statistics Canada: Economic integration of immigrants' children
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/75-001-x/2007110/article/10372-eng.htm

And, it appears that the problem is systemic:
Transatlantic Academy: The declining fortunes of Canada's economic immigration program
http://www.gmfus.org/galleries/ct_publication_attachments/TA_OShea_CandadaEconImmigrationProgram.pdf

Derek Hum & Wayne Simpson, University of Manitoba: Economic Assimilation of Canadian Immigrants:
http://pcerii.metropolis.net/Virtual%20Library/FinalReports/HumSimpson05.pdf

In my previous post, I do not believe that I indicated that successful integration is the sole responsibility of the government. You are right to indicate that the greatest determinant of success is the individual, his or her skill sets, and the person's determination to succeed. But, to say that "it'd be foolish to blame the system ... If I don't succeed here, after 10 yrs., there's something wrong in me - not with anyone else, let alone the Govt ." Is not only unfair, but as demonstrated by recent studies, it is also inaccurate.

It is right to question the system and look for improvements. Immigration is the life blood of Canada, and immigration policy must be constantly adjusted to make sure that we are getting the most effective results. The statistics point to problems that need to be addressed. And, Canada is addressing these problems. If we accept your view that the system bares no responsibility, then why is Canada reviewing immigration policy? Of course, this latest review may result in a more stringent point system and tougher screening. But, the goal is to make integration more successful, which in turn means that skilled immigrants should end up in their fields with higher incomes which in turn will produce the greatest economic benefit for the country. Every immigrant that returns to their native country is a huge loss for Canada. The resources devoted to screening, processing, and settlement are wasted. It is a cost the country cannot afford.

Re:
"Most of those vids that u showcase r of ppl who lack the commonest traits for succeeding -- they much need to beef-up their ppl skills, presentation skills, language skills, GA & their overall personality. To succeed in a foreign land [not just Canada] ..."

I would take issue with your above statement, but this is a matter of personal opinion. However, your view does run contrary to the comments submitted to our blog (http://www.tvo.org/cfmx/tvoorg/theagenda/index.cfm?page_id=3&action=blog&subaction=viewPost&post_id=14228&blog_id=323); comments from people with similar stories to those told in our videos. I will be revisiting these people in two years, and time will tell if they had "the right stuff."

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I would like permission to post a portion of your comments to our blog. Please let me know.

Sincerely,

David
http://www.tvo.org/cfmx/tvoorg/theagenda/index.cfm?page_id=3&action=blog&subaction=viewPost&post_id=14228&blog_id=323
Dear David,

There's no question that a country's immigr. policies shouldn't/wouldn't be periodically studied, deliberated, reorganized/revamped... yes, with changing socio-economic pattern/s - ppl's, as well as the host-nation's, outlook/requirement varies -- thus, Canada [like any/many other immigrant-friendly nations] is correct to have a 'reLook'@it.

But, I tend to differ on what the street-guy suggests, which so very pationately the media [unfortunately] portrays/peps-up, as well -- [1]there r just no jobs; [2]our foreign quals r not valued; [3]a doctor is driving a taxi; [4]I'm here 10yrs & still doing temps.; [5]I was a GM in my homeland & here I'm flipping burgers; [6]they find us fit for migrating, but they do not see us fit for jobs; [7]the Govt. ought to do something... etc.

These r 'fit' stories of the inept... and such ppl r found everywhere - not just in Canada - and they remain that way till mortified! And these r the vids that u show. But, which isn't an accurate picture. 'Coz these guys r born to fail, wherever they go. Why? I wrote about it earlier.

It all depends on how we look at ourselves, the surroundings we occupy, the company we keep and the synergy we possess. I for one, haven't come accross anyone in my circle of mates who isn't successful - after coming to Canada. The system is great - it has brought us here, has opened the door, given us care - and all came with the same set of selection criterion -- then what makes one succeed while the other languishes?

-What makes one MIT alumni go great leaps - while another whines?
-How do u justify so many licensed/practising immigrant doctors?
-Why there r HODs in orgs who r yet PRs [under 4yrs in Canada]?
-Who made those successful immigrant businessmen?
-Where did those happily self-employed newcomers get inspired from?
-Howcome the bank hired a newcomer, when there were many in-born applicants?

I could produce equal & enough vids of the above guys to those who cry wolf!

And the analogy/prognosis remain that many of those 'street-guys' wouldn't find employment in my company as well. They didn't when I myself was an expatriate in a fab country earlier -- neither do they now, when I have the means & wherewithals to employ scores here!

Yes, these types r everywhere - not only in Canada - and I've seen them all over the Globe!
Canada isn't falling short - isn't failing them - no way -- they fail Canada!

Qorax

imu

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dr.Hasib said:
My country(Bangladesh) is highly populated. So if "low fertility rate" in Canada is a big concern then they should issue PR visa to more Bangladeshis as quick as possible..lol
dr. hasib,
where are you from? its funny and interesting idea ! however , a proposal can be your choice !

phdmaker

Jan 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
imu said:
dr. hasib,
where are you from? its funny and interesting idea ! however , a proposal can be your choice !
:)

9jcanada

Champion Member
Oct 16, 2010
Calgary Alberta
App. Filed.......
12/01/2011
AOR Received.
10/06/2011
Med's Request
09/02/2012
Med's Done....
14/02/2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
26/03/2012
VISA ISSUED...
04/05/2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
Thanks Qorax and David for the interesting and educative debate. You guys have covered enough grounds on the issue, so no need to rehash what's already been said. However, I think there are valid points on both sides. It will be unfair to suggest that the current situation re recognition of foreign qualifications is the best that can be. Neither, can we say that immigrants don't have the higher load to bear vis~a~vis tuning the challenges into opportunities. Both sides have huge role to play.

God bless Canada.

9j

peanuts

Sep 11, 2010
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
november 2009 to NS, may 2010 to VO
Doc's Request.
february 2010
AOR Received.
february 16, 2010; may 26, 2010
IELTS Request
copy submitted to CIO with initial app
File Transfer...
february 2010
Med's Request
august 2010
Med's Done....
august 18-19, 2010- med done: august 23- sent
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
september 22-received; october 1-sent; october 27- DM
VISA ISSUED...
visa received nov 11, 2010
LANDED..........
June 02, 2011 thank you God...
good to see different views.....

reddish

Star Member
Feb 14, 2011
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-2009
Doc's Request.
27-10-2009
IELTS Request
02-02-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2009
Med's Request
07-06-2011
Med's Done....
11-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15 -08- 2011
LANDED..........
Nov. 2011
I would like to align myself with Qorax on this debate because I have 4 migrats friends in canada we all attended same university and trained as engineers, they are all successful as they are working as engineers and earning over 80k/yr. So success is dependent on individual, friends/contacts, ability to adapt to change and willingness to move with the CHEESEEEEEEE

David_TVO

Star Member
Jan 29, 2011
Dear Qorax,

Do I have your permission to post a portion of your comments to our blog:

The post would be as follows:

Qorax writes:
I don't agree with your connotation that there could be something wrong in the system. In fact it's the contrary -- it'd be foolish to blame the system for my misfortune/s -- for which I'm alone to be blamed.

If I don't succeed here, after 10 yrs., there's something wrong in me - not with anyone else, let alone the Govt. It'd do me good to look inwards, rather than the escapes!. Yes, credentials' valuation is a sore point - but, do we need those credentials always? We need to have many other traits than just our credentials! … We can blame the system, create a hue & cry, the media hype et all -- but, the moot point remains that I have failed myself - opportunities does knock the door - however, did I have the wisdom?
---------------

Please let me know when you have the chance.

David
Voices of New Canadian Web Series

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
David_TVO said:
Dear Qorax,

Do I have your permission to post a portion of your comments to our blog:

The post would be as follows:

Qorax writes:
I don't agree with your connotation that there could be something wrong in the system. In fact it's the contrary -- it'd be foolish to blame the system for my misfortune/s -- for which I'm alone to be blamed.

If I don't succeed here, after 10 yrs., there's something wrong in me - not with anyone else, let alone the Govt. It'd do me good to look inwards, rather than the escapes!. Yes, credentials' valuation is a sore point - but, do we need those credentials always? We need to have many other traits than just our credentials! ... We can blame the system, create a hue & cry, the media hype et all -- but, the moot point remains that I have failed myself - opportunities does knock the door - however, did I have the wisdom?
---------------

Please let me know when you have the chance.

David
Voices of New Canadian Web Series
Dear Sir,

U r the 1st pax I came accross who'd request a nod to post blog to blog... everyone here is quoting everyone else - left, right & center! Thank u for your gesture... YES, be my guest -- pls pick anything from anything I write over the net, within the context.

U guys r doing a great job!

Qorax

prsh_patel

Feb 9, 2010
Vadodara
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2009
Doc's Request.
30-01-2010
AOR Received.
30-03-2010
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
3rd Feb 2010
Med's Request
08-07-2010
Med's Done....
13-07-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-07-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2010
LANDED..........
Jan 2011
qorax said:
Dear Sir,

U r the 1st pax I came accross who'd request a nod to post blog to blog... everyone here is quoting everyone else - left, right & center! Thank u for your gesture... YES, be my guest -- pls pick anything from anything I write over the net, within the context.

U guys r doing a great job!

Qorax
Comon guyz (Qorax/David), we had enough intellectual discussion on the blog, we are too little to be judgmental in clash of the titans...now shake your hands, and tell us whats the plan to meet up....i think we planned to meet on 19th March but i think its postponed now as qorax is in Dubai...plan again n plan soon....very eager to meet you guyz....god give us strength to contribute some progress to Canadian economy regardless of what we are doing...Along Canada, we'll progress too...

David_TVO

Star Member
Jan 29, 2011
prsh_patel said:
Comon guyz (Qorax/David), we had enough intellectual discussion on the blog, we are too little to be judgmental in clash of the titans...now shake your hands, and tell us whats the plan to meet up....i think we planned to meet on 19th March but i think its postponed now as qorax is in Dubai...plan again n plan soon....very eager to meet you guyz....god give us strength to contribute some progress to Canadian economy regardless of what we are doing...Along Canada, we'll progress too...
We were not fighting, so no need to make up. I respect Qorax views; this is why his opinions will soon be posted to our blog. I hope others don't think we were arguing. Just an exchange of ideas and opinions, which is one of the greatest things about this forum.

If you are planning a meet up in Toronto, I would love to come - and hope you would welcome my camera as well.

Just spent hours at an Iranian festival in Toronto where thousands turned out to celebrate the Festival of Fire (Charshanbe Suri). I have to start cutting the footage now, then off to bed. Good night everyone.

David