Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Ever really wondered why Canada needs us -
The Immigrants ?

Canada is a country of outstanding natural beauty - offering a high standard of living and unlimited outdoor adventures & cosmopolitan cities. Almost a million sq-miles of mountains, prairies, lakes, fiords & rivers. A large country – the world's second largest – in both size and spirit, Canada's booming economy and shortage of skilled workers means it puts-out the welcome mat for newcomers from throughout the world.

Canada has huge natural resources and is a sparsely populated country – just 3.3 people per sq-km compared to the US (29.1), the UK (242) and Japan (335.3). To demonstrate just how much space there is for us – the tiny territory of Macau, the former Portuguese colony but now a province of China, has the world's highest density at 17,684 per sq-km, while at the other end of the scale - Namibia has just 2.

Between 1956 & 1976, 63.6% of immigrants came from the UK & Europe, while only 11.9% from Asia. By 2004, however, the flows had almost completely flipped - with only 17.8% of immigrants coming from the UK & Europe, while 48.6% from the countries of South, East and Southeast Asia.

Why [more] immigrants?
There are two [2] main reasons Canada needs a continuous flow of immigrants:

ONE, the country's low fertility rate of 1.6 children per woman – which is well below the ‘replacement' rate of 2.1. The fertility rate was 3 children or more per woman from the mid-1940s to the mid-1960s. It then fell rapidly; and has remained below the rate for natural replacement for the last 30 years.

TWO, the other reasons are the advancing ages of the workforce and a serious worker shortage in a number of fields, particularly in construction but also including engineers, doctors and nurses.

Paul Darby, Director of the Conference Board of Canada, estimates a shortfall of three million skilled workers by the year 2020 and, according to a survey by Canada's Federation of Independent Business, one out of 20 jobs remains unfilled because of an inability to find suitably skilled labour.

This, it says, represents about 250,000 to 300,000 vacant jobs in small and medium-sized businesses alone. The worst off are employers looking for skilled construction workers who reported 7.7 per cent of jobs are going unfilled. Business services and agriculture sectors are also suffering, particularly in Manitoba, Ontario and Alberta.

Distinguished by rapid growth in industries such as construction, oil & gas, and services, the kind of workers most in demand now are the skilled trades, according to Cheri Tredree, National Recruitment Manager with Manpower Canada. "That is the case right across Canada, skilled trades encompasses a variety of roles from welders and carpenters to hairdressers and chefs," she adds.

Canada's 'Baby-Boomers'
-Ever wondered what this term really means?

Seniors, as Canada calls its elderly citizens, constitute the fastest growing population group. The proportion of seniors in the overall population went from 1 in 20 in 1921, to 1 in 8 in 2001 - when it was estimated that 3.92 million Canadians were 65 years of age or older, two-thirds more than in 1981.

As the "baby boomers" (born between 1946 and 1965) age, the seniors population is expected to reach 6.7 million in 2021 and 9.2 million in 2041 (nearly one in four Canadians). In fact, the growth of the seniors population will account for close to half of the growth of the overall Canadian population in the next four decades. In 2001, over 430,000 Canadians were 85 years of age or older – more than twice as many as in 1981, and more than 20 times as many as in 1921.

So, does Canada need us - the Immigrants?
U can bet on it that they do; and shall continue to do so for quite some time.

Now u know...
Qorax

mappleleaf

Star Member
Jan 29, 2011
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
very true! It make sense....with facts.

lakhvinder.kaur

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2010
New Delhi India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Sept-2013
Very Informative sir.
Thanks for enlightening us. +1 for you.

I have one question if situation is so then why they have decided to reduce the intake by 20% for this year.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
lakhvinder.kaur said:
Very Informative sir.
Thanks for enlightening us. +1 for you.

I have one question if situation is so then why they have decided to reduce the intake by 20% for this year.
Uh Ma'am, We dealt it earlier -- To Reduce the Backlog... the total yearly intake remains the same... just that the fresh apps r reduced.
Qorax

nano24482

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/02/2010
Doc's Request.
20/04/2010
AOR Received.
27/08/2010
File Transfer...
27/04/2010
Great Post Qorax!!!

This is a matter of simple economics as to why countries need immigrants. Most of western countries have lower birth rate and higher life expectancy, resulting in less amount of working population. Not to forget that older population need more care and it is paid of by government so they want tax from the working population(which is less in west). Hence all western countries including Canada, US and Europe need immigrants to fill those places.

As to the person who asked why CIC decided to reduce influx by 20% there can be myrid of reasons which can include clearing of backlog of Pre Feb 2008 applicants, market predictions, proper management/training of immigrants and not to mention xenophobic public(maybe elections will be approaching).

Dr.Hasib

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Toronto,ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21 Jan 2012
My country(Bangladesh) is highly populated. So if "low fertility rate" in Canada is a big concern then they should issue PR visa to more Bangladeshis as quick as possible..lol

lakhvinder.kaur

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2010
New Delhi India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Sept-2013
qorax said:
Uh Ma'am, We dealt it earlier -- To Reduce the Backlog... the total yearly intake remains the same... just that the fresh apps r reduced.
Qorax
No sir this is not about new application intake its about about yearly intake of immigrants, actually couldn't find that link... below news post will give some idea wat i was asking..

Canada, 8th March: The restriction on number of skilled immigrant workers to be allowed into Canada this year is being criticized by the Canadian Construction Association.

The CCA (Canadian Construction Association) says such a move by CIC(Citizenship and Immigration Canada) will lead to shortage of skilled workforce in the nation.

As per the latest official data obtained from the Canada immigration department-CIC, the nation will allow 55,900 skilled immigrants in the year 2011, reveals Richard Kurland, an immigration lawyer based in Vancouver.

And this is nearly 20 percent less than the number of immigrants allowed into Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker scheme in the year 2010.

Last year, the number of skilled immigrants allowed to come to Canada was said to be around 70,000.

Such reductions are terrible, reveals president of CCA, Michael Atkinson, adding that the Canada immigration department must work towards reforming the system.

No wonder, the CIC, taking a cue from the existing scenario, has already begun consultation from the public in order to introduce reforms in the Federal Skills Worker Program.

Atkinson stated that the CCA is hopeful that public consultations regarding the Canada Skilled Worker Program will result in making the program more favorable for the construction industry of Canada.

vermajagdish

Feb 2, 2011
Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Nov-2009
File Transfer...
17-Feb-2010
Med's Request
14-Dec-2010
Med's Done....
29-Dec-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-Jan-2011
VISA ISSUED...
23-Feb-2011
LANDED..........
03-05-2011
very informative post by Qorax & Lakhvinder. You guys rock. Thanks a lot.

I still wonder in spite of all this shortages I am still struggling for a entry level Job in IT sector (considering my 7+ years of experience in India). Seems like no one is looking at us or Canada is not able to utilize the skill set of immigrants to an extent it can. Lets hope for the best.

Regards,
Jagdish.

lakhvinder.kaur said:
No sir this is not about new application intake its about about yearly intake of immigrants, actually couldn't find that link... below news post will give some idea wat i was asking..

Canada, 8th March: The restriction on number of skilled immigrant workers to be allowed into Canada this year is being criticized by the Canadian Construction Association.

The CCA (Canadian Construction Association) says such a move by CIC(Citizenship and Immigration Canada) will lead to shortage of skilled workforce in the nation.

As per the latest official data obtained from the Canada immigration department-CIC, the nation will allow 55,900 skilled immigrants in the year 2011, reveals Richard Kurland, an immigration lawyer based in Vancouver.

And this is nearly 20 percent less than the number of immigrants allowed into Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker scheme in the year 2010.

Last year, the number of skilled immigrants allowed to come to Canada was said to be around 70,000.

Such reductions are terrible, reveals president of CCA, Michael Atkinson, adding that the Canada immigration department must work towards reforming the system.

No wonder, the CIC, taking a cue from the existing scenario, has already begun consultation from the public in order to introduce reforms in the Federal Skills Worker Program.

Atkinson stated that the CCA is hopeful that public consultations regarding the Canada Skilled Worker Program will result in making the program more favorable for the construction industry of Canada.

canada_loveLY

Mar 12, 2011
Good one Jagdish,

You are right....there are actually no jobs these days for IT people. I am also finding similar problem after having similar experience.

lovely

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
lakhvinder.kaur said:

Ma'am,

It's not just the FSW, new immigrants r entering Canada via the various other streams. And that keeps the total intake in balance. Unfortunately, none of the FSW entrants take those construction & trade jobs -- these r mainly filled-in by the FC class immigrants. Then there is also the HC ground & Refugee claimants.

There r guys here who move-in applications of 5-6 [unrelated/untrained 'relatives'] upon their landing [as they become 'eligible'] & those 5-6 bring-in another 5-6... and the chain continues. Most labr jobs [errands, handyman etc.] r done by those new immigrants -- not u & me. Yes, the Govt. has started noticing these & systematically plugging the loopholes.

For the record, 2010 saw tha max intake of new immigrants here... that's when the new changes to FSW also got mooted in. But, give it to the Govt. they r smart, aware & long-term planners. Canada knows that it needs a steady stream of immigrants to make its economy running... Everytime a policy change rings-in, it's well thought for & planned. Overall they know what they r doing -- and who is needed while who isn't.

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
vermajagdish said:
very informative post by Qorax & Lakhvinder. You guys rock. Thanks a lot.

I still wonder in spite of all this shortages I am still struggling for a entry level Job in IT sector (considering my 7+ years of experience in India). Seems like no one is looking at us or Canada is not able to utilize the skill set of immigrants to an extent it can. Lets hope for the best.

Regards,
Jagdish.
U got to do some serious networking here -- I know of guys/firms who'd assure 100% employment to newcomers - yes, also for IT. Few of our Friends-Circle r working thru them... fetched their jobs in less than a month.

Qorax

David_TVO

Star Member
Jan 29, 2011
qorax said:
Ma'am,
For the record, 2010 saw tha max intake of new immigrants here... that's when the new changes to FSW also got mooted in. But, give it to the Govt. they r smart, aware & long-term planners. Canada knows that it needs a steady stream of immigrants to make its economy running... Everytime a policy change rings-in, it's well thought for & planned. Overall they know what they r doing -- and who is needed while who isn't.

Qorax
I am not sure if "overall they know what they r doing -- and who is needed while who isn't." is a completely factual representation of the current immigration system in Canada. I think, like most western countries, Canada is struggling to create an immigration policy that produces better results, not only for the Canadian economy, but for those that have chosen Canada as their new home.

It is taking far too long to place skilled immigrants in their career fields. This is having a negative impact on the immigration process. However, I do believe the Canadian government is working towards creating a better policy when it comes to skilled immigrants. But, more must be done to recognize foreign qualifications.

Here is a video featuring five highly skilled immigrants who have been in Canada for several years, but still have not found full time work in their chosen fields.

Voices of New Canadians: Finding a Job
http://www.tvo.org/TVO/WebObjects/TVO.woa?videoid?760336315001

David_TVO
Voices of New Canadians Web Series
http://www.tvo.org/cfmx/tvoorg/theagenda/index.cfm?page_id=3&action=blog&subaction=viewPost&post_id=14228&blog_id=323

All links represent content created by TVOntario, Ontario's publicly funded educational broadcaster. All content is produced as a public service and is commercial free. You are free to share, or embed the content.

slavasz

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19/10/2009
Doc's Request.
18/12/2009
AOR Received.
19/04/2010
IELTS Request
submitted with docs
File Transfer...
22/12/2009
Med's Request
04/09/2011
Med's Done....
05-09-2011/
Interview........
waved 19/04/2010
Passport Req..
24/05/2012
VISA ISSUED...
13/07/2012
LANDED..........
29/08/2012
The fact of life is, David, that the politicians rule the country, not economists.
However, it seems that they listen to the latter more and more.

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not like you Capt without any reason, you are awesome. Thanks for highlighting it. Somehow I love Canada and Canadians. These people are fantastic.......

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
David_TVO said:
I am not sure if "overall they know what they r doing -- and who is needed while who isn't." is a completely factual representation of the current immigration system in Canada. I think, like most western countries, Canada is struggling to create an immigration policy that produces better results, not only for the Canadian economy, but for those that have chosen Canada as their new home.

It is taking far too long to place skilled immigrants in their career fields. This is having a negative impact on the immigration process. However, I do believe the Canadian government is working towards creating a better policy when it comes to skilled immigrants. But, more must be done to recognize foreign qualifications.

Here is a video featuring five highly skilled immigrants who have been in Canada for several years, but still have not found full time work in their chosen fields.

Voices of New Canadians: Finding a Job
http://www.tvo.org/TVO/WebObjects/TVO.woa?videoid?760336315001

David_TVO
Voices of New Canadians Web Series
http://www.tvo.org/cfmx/tvoorg/theagenda/index.cfm?page_id=3&action=blog&subaction=viewPost&post_id=14228&blog_id=323

All links represent content created by TVOntario, Ontario's publicly funded educational broadcaster. All content is produced as a public service and is commercial free. You are free to share, or embed the content.
Dear David,

U guys run a great show -- but, it's a show that is. I tend to agree that there'd be many who'd yet not settle down well after 10 odd yrs. But, I don't agree with your connotation that there could be something wrong in the system. In fact it's the contrary -- it'd be foolish to blame the system for my misfortune/s -- for which I'm alone to be blamed.

If I don't succeed here, after 10 yrs., there's something wrong in me - not with anyone else, let alone the Govt. It'd do me good to look inwards, rather than the escapes! Similar to yours, I can produce tons of vids of ppl making it good here,@much lesser timeframe. Yes, credentials' valuation is a sore point - but, do we need those credentials always?

Most of those vids that u showcase r of ppl who lack the commonest traits for succeeding -- they much need to beef-up their ppl skills, presentation skills, language skills, GA & their overall personality. To succeed in a foreign land [not just Canada] we need to have many other traits than just our credentials! We can sure blame the system, create a hue & cry, the media hype et all -- but, the moot point remains that I have failed myself - opportunities does knock the door - however, did I have the wisdom?

Qorax