Here is my timeline:
Arrived in Canada: Nov 14 2009
PR Card Approved: Nov 10, 2011
Applied for Citizenship: Jan 2014
Judge hearing: June 11, 2015
Decision made accepted: August 7, 2015
Received Federal Court papers: Sept 16, 2015
Won Federal Court Case: Dec 7, 2015

So this is what happened: I had a hearing with a CIC Judge, and afterwards she approved my application for citizenship, and my online status on the CIC website changed to decision made, and the CIC call center said my application was approved and I was now being scheduled for my oath ceremony. September 16, I received Federal Court papers, which after contacting my lawyer, found out that the reviewing officer did not agree with the CIC judges decision on granting me citizenship. The papers were for Leave and Judaical Review. December 7, the Federal Court dismissed the reviewing officers case against me and now the CIC Judges decision still stands that I am granted citizenship. When I checked my online status on the CIC website, it is still saying "in process."

Has any one had something similar to this happen? I'd like to know if anyone knows how long it will take for me to receive my oath letter? Thanks!

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
No idea what happens next for you, but that is a pretty amazingly fast timeline considering the steps that you had to go through.

medielmawla

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Omar Hazem said:
Here is my timeline:

So this is what happened: I had a hearing with a CIC Judge, and afterwards she approved my application for citizenship, and my online status on the CIC website changed to decision made, and the CIC call center said my application was approved and I was now being scheduled for my oath ceremony. September 16, I received Federal Court papers, which after contacting my lawyer, found out that the reviewing officer did not agree with the CIC judges decision on granting me citizenship. The papers were for Leave and Judaical Review. December 7, the Federal Court dismissed the reviewing officers case against me and now the CIC Judges decision still stands that I am granted citizenship. When I checked my online status on the CIC website, it is still saying "in process."

Has any one had something similar to this happen? I'd like to know if anyone knows how long it will take for me to receive my oath letter? Thanks!

I have my friend the same situation like you he appealed and he won against cic after he saw the CJ and he granted his citizenship then cic appealed again he went to federal court again and he won for the second time he saw another CJ couple days ago he received refusal letter from CJ he's going to file another application .
I hope yours is different good luck

Omar Hazem

Sep 1, 2015
links18 said:
No idea what happens next for you, but that is a pretty amazingly fast timeline considering the steps that you had to go through.

thank you, I was pretty surprised it went that fast as well.

Omar Hazem

Sep 1, 2015
medielmawla said:
Omar Hazem said:
Here is my timeline:

I have my friend the same situation like you he appealed and he won against cic after he saw the CJ and he granted his citizenship then cic appealed again he went to federal court again and he won for the second time he saw another CJ couple days ago he received refusal letter from CJ he's going to file another application .
I hope yours is different good luck
My lawyer told me that its now a done case, and no one can file another appeal since it was the officer making the appeal against the CIC Judges decision. The federal court said that her decision stands. I hope your friends next application goes better for him its such a stressful situation.

amazingTOO

Oct 21, 2015
you are the hero, did you ask the cost from CIC on the court?
its obvious that chris alexander's dog did bite you in the very end of his position.
btw, what's ur office?
unlike a JR did by you, it was did by CIC, so they dont have any more chance to not approve you if they lose.
if a JR did by you normally they use another CJ to decide, if they keep being axxhole, they will refuse you by another reason, but its not your case.

Omar Hazem

Sep 1, 2015
amazingTOO said:
you are the hero, did you ask the cost from CIC on the court?
its obvious that chris alexander's dog did bite you in the very end of his position.
btw, what's ur office?
unlike a JR did by you, it was did by CIC, so they dont have any more chance to not approve you if they lose.
if a JR did by you normally they use another CJ to decide, if they keep being axxhole, they will refuse you by another reason, but its not your case.
my office is Halifax NS, I have not seen very many people active on here with the Halifax office so I have no idea what's next for me. I didn't try to get my money back from CIC because I'm just happy it's over now. I checked two weeks ago and in my online status it changed to decision made but there are no new updates. does anyone know how long it will take to get the oath letter after decision made in Halifax office?

Exports

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
WISH YOU ALL THE BEST!
Hope you receive the oath letter soon. Your CJ hearing was soon probably due to less no. of CJ hearings in your local office.

Mine also scheduled for CJ Hearing but no timeline given yet and still in queue ( Toronto Scarborough Office ) and it is almost 5 months now after the test in Aug 15. Mine is non-routine with self declared less number of days than 1095. Will wait few more days and make decision to withdraw and reapply.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
Omar Hazem said:
my office is Halifax NS, I have not seen very many people active on here with the Halifax office so I have no idea what's next for me. I didn't try to get my money back from CIC because I'm just happy it's over now. I checked two weeks ago and in my online status it changed to decision made but there are no new updates. does anyone know how long it will take to get the oath letter after decision made in Halifax office?
Congrats !!!, Mubarak !!!

I really dont understand this damn and stupid logic of sending files to Citizenship judges and then NOT accepting his / her decision.

If the CIC Officers are the ultimate decision makers, what's point in keeping "Powerless" Citizenship Judges, its criminal wastage of tax payers money. Its high time, CIC start using the expertise of High School passed students to help them optimize their workflow. ;D ;D

Why applicants has to endure the BS of CIC, the take years to process and a year to assign to CJ, then some petty officer disputes its. Unnecessary forcing candidates to use legal services.

In such cases the candidate should be allowed to claim legal expenses from CIC. Probably that will make CIC more responsible & efficient.

Omar Hazem

Sep 1, 2015
Exports said:
WISH YOU ALL THE BEST!
Hope you receive the oath letter soon. Your CJ hearing was soon probably due to less no. of CJ hearings in your local office.

Mine also scheduled for CJ Hearing but no timeline given yet and still in queue ( Toronto Scarborough Office ) and it is almost 5 months now after the test in Aug 15. Mine is non-routine with self declared less number of days than 1095. Will wait few more days and make decision to withdraw and reapply.
thanks so much, I really hope I get it soon. I hope you get a time line soon for your hearing. Do you think your application will process faster if you take it out and reapply? Maybe you should just wait and see if your hearing will be soon?

Omar Hazem

Sep 1, 2015
Canadiandesi2006 said:
Congrats !!!, Mubarak !!!

I really dont understand this damn and stupid logic of sending files to Citizenship judges and then NOT accepting his / her decision.

If the CIC Officers are the ultimate decision makers, what's point in keeping "Powerless" Citizenship Judges, its criminal wastage of tax payers money. Its high time, CIC start using the expertise of High School passed students to help them optimize their workflow. ;D ;D

Why applicants has to endure the BS of CIC, the take years to process and a year to assign to CJ, then some petty officer disputes its. Unnecessary forcing candidates to use legal services.

In such cases the candidate should be allowed to claim legal expenses from CIC. Probably that will make CIC more responsible & efficient.
thanks so much. I know, I don't understand the point of an officer asking the judge to make a decision and then when they make a decision then they refuse her decision? Isn't that what they asked her to do? It's not organized at all. When I first started my immigration process I have always had issues right from the beginning. I was thinking of asking my lawyer if I can get my legal fees back, because I'm all honesty there was no point to make me go through all of the stuff I went through, and come out in the end winning against the officer. I had a friend tell me there is no point to try and get my money back because I will probably lose and end up wasting more money and time. What is your opinion?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Omar Hazem said:
Here is my timeline:

Omar Hazem said:
thanks so much. I know, I don't understand the point of an officer asking the judge to make a decision and then when they make a decision then they refuse her decision? Isn't that what they asked her to do? It's not organized at all. When I first started my immigration process I have always had issues right from the beginning. I was thinking of asking my lawyer if I can get my legal fees back, because I'm all honesty there was no point to make me go through all of the stuff I went through, and come out in the end winning against the officer. I had a friend tell me there is no point to try and get my money back because I will probably lose and end up wasting more money and time. What is your opinion?
First, congratulations. Hopefully you will be scheduled for the oath soon. Ordinarily those who were approved by a CJ and then have, in effect, won in the Federal Court, are given expedited processing in being scheduled for the oath. Halifax probably does not have nearly the number of oath ceremonies as other offices in large metropolitan areas like Montreal, the GTA, or Vancouver, so the timing will not be as quick but the oath should be scheduled fairly soon.

As for questions about the appeal process for CJ approved applicants:

Just as you had the right to appeal if the Citizenship Judge ruled against you, so too CIC has the right of appeal if the CJ rules contrary to what CIC asserts is the correct decision.

Both the procedure prior to the SCCA and after (this part of Bill C-24 tok effect August 1, 2014) included the right of appeal, from a Citizenship Judge's decision, for either the applicant (if the CJ denied approval) or CIC (now IRCC) if the CJ granted approval. The CJ's decision is an independent one. It is not CIC's decision.

And, indeed, since you were scheduled for the CJ hearing in June 2015, the referral to the CJ almost certainly consisted of CIC's argument against approving your application. That is, CIC opposed your application. The CJ granted approval despite CIC's arguments against approval. CIC must have concluded the CJ made an error in the decision, and so sought leave to appeal from the Federal Court. You say that you won the Federal Court case, which I would take to mean that CIC's appeal was dismissed.

As for CIC "asking the judge to make a decision and then when they make a decision then they refuse her decision? Isn't that what they asked her to do?" CIC (again now IRCC) does not ask the CJ to make a decision. CIC refers a residency case to a CJ if CIC is NOT satisfied the applicant met the residency requirement. CIC cannot deny citizenship based on a failure to meet the residency requirement. (If CIC could, obviously you would have been denied.) That decision, by law, must be made by a Citizenship Judge . . . and again, the losing side has a right to seek review in the Federal Court (the PR applicant if the CJ denies approval; CIC if the CJ grants approval).

Note, for example, of the last nine citizenship decisions in 2015, published by the Federal Court, eight were indeed appeals by the Minister. (And yes, this seems very unusual . . . hard to say for sure, though, since the Citizenship Commission stopped publishing its Annual Report more than five years ago; that report had detailed the number of all cases appealed, the number of Mandamus actions, and the outcomes. This was among many sources of information which ceased to be provided the public under the Harper governments.)

Seeking costs:

Foremost, costs are rarely awarded by the Federal Court in citizenship cases. I cannot recall more than a very few exceptions (I have read almost all official citizenship appeal cases resulting in a formal, published decision, decided in the last five or six years), but have seen Federal Court justices reiterate that they will rarely award costs in such cases.

In any event, in almost all cases the Federal Court addresses and decides whether or not to award costs as part of the decision as to whether or not to grant review.

If as you report, the decision has been made, and no costs were awarded, my understanding is that ends that. That is, that there are no additional proceedings to pursue in an effort to obtain costs.

Recent Cases:

From mid-November or so, until the third week of December, there were nine official decisions published in cases involving the appeal of a CJ's decision. Eight of these nine appeals were by the Minister. Five of the nine went against the Minister.

1. MOHAMMAD WASEF ABU-TALEB Citizenship-Applicant appeal; review allowed (second time around, second time review allowed) (Justice Harrington)

2. SUNG HOON GOO Minister appeal; application for review dismissed (Justice O'Keefe)

3. HYE YOUNG LEE
Minister appeal; application for review dismissed (Justice O'Keefe)

4. MUSSARRAT KHAN Minister appeal; application for review granted (Justice Phelan)

5. TABUSSUM NASIM Minister appeal; application for review granted (Justice Mactavish)

6. ABDELLATIF GOUZA Minister appeal; application for review dismissed (Justice Bell)

7. LINA KETTANI
Minister appeal; application for review dismissed (Justice Bell)

8. ABDUL-SATTAR Q MAHDI Minister appeal; application for review granted (Justice Mactavish)

9. FLORIAN MICHEL MAURICE VILLAUMÉ Minister appeal; review granted (Justice Harrington)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Some clarifications/corrections, and further observations regarding the appeal process:

Above I referred to a "right of appeal." Technically the SCCA (Bill C-24) amended the Citizenship Act so that, since August 1, 2014, it is a right to seek leave to appeal.

This is prescribed in Sections 22.1 and 22.2 of the Citizenship Act (this should link).

This makes a significant difference in what cases go to a hearing in the Federal Court, and thus which appeals are reflected in the officially published decisions.

Moreover, Section 22.1(3) gives the Minister the right of appeal as to a decision by a Citizenship Judge, whereas otherwise parties only have a right to seek leave to appeal.

Thus, for example, in the MOHAMMAD WASEF ABU-TALEB case, which I referenced and linked above, the PR applicant was denied approval by the CJ and then he ". . . was granted leave to have [the decision] judicially reviewed," and then was given a hearing in Federal Court to consider the merits of his appeal. This is the only one among the last nine citizenship application cases published in 2015 which is not an appeal by the Minister.

In contrast, in the SUNG HOON GOO case, the Federal Court simply refers to the Minister's application "to set aside the decision of a citizenship judge."

Thus, this probably explains why eight of the last nine published decisions in 2015 are appeals by the Minister. When the Minister appeals, there is a hearing and a formal decision gets published. When applicants seek leave to appeal, leave is probably being denied many of them, no Federal Court hearing.

That is, while I do not know for sure what is actually occurring in the current appeal process, it appears that many or most or at least a significant number of PR applicant requests for leave to appeal are being summarily denied, that is, without there being a hearing. In contrast, the Minister's appeals (of CJ decisions) go to a hearing.

Thus there are more published decisions in cases appealed by the Minister.

This was not apparent to me until I revisited the last dozen or so cases in 2015. I have not seen any commentary about this, not from the Canadian Bar or in coverage of the lawsuits regarding Bill C-24 filed by various lawyers and associations, including either the Galati or Waldman litigation.

I am not a Canadian lawyer, so I am far from sure what to make of this. Except it strikes me as rather unfair.

In particular, it is disconcerting to me that the Minister has a broader right to review than those individuals who are denied approval by a CJ. This, it seems to me, is something to be challenged. But the way in which the Citizenship Act is currently structured there is no avenue for challenging this. The PR who is denied leave to appeal is precluded, by section 22.1(2)(d), from further challenging the decision to deny leave. (In contrast, if leave is granted, there is the possibility of a further appeal to the Federal Court of Appeal if the Federal Court justice certifies a "serious question of general importance.")

Indeed, frankly I do not understand how it is fair that the Minister, who largely controls the information received by the Citizenship Judge, who has a full opportunity to submit information and argument to the CJ, is provided greater access to review than those individuals who are the subject of the CJ's decision, the vast majority of whom probably go to the CJ hearing without the advice let alone representation of legal counsel.

Beyond the imbalance of procedural rights itself, there are additional important ramifications:

Indeed, this change dramatically affects the nature and scope of information available to those who, like myself, look at the Federal Court decisions to learn about what issues are addressed and how they are decided in residency cases. As I have otherwise noted, I have read nearly every single citizenship application decision decided and published in the last five years, or so, and a large number of those decided prior to that. This, I think, constitutes an incredibly important body of information about how the process works, and it has been particularly illuminating in regards to what factors loom large in cases where CIC challenges the applicant's declarations of presence.

Going forward, it appears that the majority, perhaps the vast majority of applications for leave to appeal by PR applicants will be summarily denied, no hearing, no published decisions. The public will be denied access to a great deal of information about what really matters in determining residency cases.

The legacy impact of what Harper's government wrought in terms of reducing government transparency is undoubtedly greater, perhaps even far greater, than many of us railed about during the last many years.

This is not so much about unintended consequences. My sense is that when Harper's inner circle drafted Bill C-24 they were probably well aware of this consequence and intended it. It is about undisclosed objectives, and illustrates why it is so important that major legislation, like Bill C-24, go through a thorough vetting process, allowing broad public consultation, extensive and extensive debate, before it is voted on. All that was, at the least, truncated by the Harper government, and to some extent consultations, committee studies, and debate were simply shut down.

I recognize there are many other aspects to changes made while Harper was Prime Minister that many participants here find problematic. But to my perspective, this is one of the more disconcerting changes made. This has a direct impact on the fairness of the process. There are various opinions about what the requirements should be, whether the presence requirement should be 3/4 or 4/6 for example. There are advantages and disadvantages for certain immigrants respectively. One offers a faster path to citizenship (the 3/4 rule) and the other allows for significantly more flexibility (the 4/6 rule).

But from my perspective provisions which directly limit or reduce access to fair procedure are a separate and more problematic sort of beast. Without fair process, the integrity of the system is undermined and everyone's rights are at risk of being compromised.

Omar Hazem

Sep 1, 2015
Thanks so much for all that information it was so nice of you to post all of that, and really helpful stuff.

It's now been 3 weeks since I have decision made on my online status, and a month since I won the case, so I really hope the ceremony is scheduled soon.