+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

withdraw my refugee

gabi1988

Jun 5, 2014
hi i would like to ask about withdraw refugee.. i applied for claimant refugee from 1 year and for now i don't have any decision about my case now i want to withdraw my refugee and travel to another country but i have a problem my passport is expire and i don't know if i can renew my passport ... i would like to ask how can i travel if i can't renew my passport ?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Whats the rush? Its only been 1 year. If you r a genuine refugee then this is the best country to be

gabi1988

Jun 5, 2014
i need to travel to see my wife and my case is take long time ... because simply it takes two or three months but for me it takes long time

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gabi1988 said:
i need to travel to see my wife and my case is take long time ... because simply it takes two or three months but for me it takes long time
I was under the impression from you earlier thread that you wanted to leave Canada for marriage to your fiancee who now it seems is actually your wife?

gabi1988 said:
hi i would like to ask about withdraw refugee.. i applied for claimant refugee from 1 year and for now i don't have any decision about my case now i want to withdraw my refugee and travel to another country but i have a problem my passport is expire and i don't know if i can renew my passport ... i would like to ask how can i travel if i can't renew my passport ?
1. Contact the consulate of your country in Ottawa and ask about the passport renewal process as this has nothing to do with CIC or any Canadian authorities. Upon passport renewal you just buy a ticket show up at the airport present yourself to CBSA and let them know you are a refugee claimant that is leaving and no longer want to proceed with the claim. You will fill out some paperwork and might be at the airport for a few hours. Anyway applying for passport renewal constitutes a ground for CIC to apply to the courts for your claim to be vacated. When you apply for a passport you are re-availing yourself the protection of your country where you previously claimed you faced persecution.

2. You can also write to CIC and state you are withdrawing the refugee claim and they can advise you as to the next steps. Of course you should really deal with your lawyer to handle the withdrawal unless you are representing yourself which for any immigration appeal/ hearing is usually a bad idea.

3. Since you have departure order in place that is stayed by the current refugee claim you should not leave without notifying CIC/CBSA - if you do leave without notification it will become a deportation order when you are a no show for the hearing and they will assume you are in hiding in Canada.

4. Refugee claims are processed in different timelines - depending on the merits of your claim, the capacity of the processing office, your background checks etc so 12 months is not an issue if Canada's protection is really what you seek since you have it at this time. Also note that a select group of nationalities are prioritized for refugee processing because they come from countries with a solid foundation in the rule of law e.g US, EU Member states on the basis that a claimant should not be facing the same/similar persecution as say a Kurd or Afghani. Canada doesn't want you hanging out here dragging out an asylum claim whilst on welfare etc while there is rule of law in say the Czech Republic.

5. You can add family member details to your refugee claim and eventual application for PR status. This fiancee/wife issue will eventually become a major problem for you if you continue with your claim as its not clear if you provided CIC with the truth. Credibility is key to immigration especially in the refugee process and misrepresentation is a criminal offence.