+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will there be any complication in citizenship?

harupit200281

Star Member
Jun 4, 2009
Hi All,

History:
My wife got PR in 2005. After that she did not spend much of time in Canada. She went back to canada during pregnancy, to give birth to our daughter. Hence, our daughter is now Canadian Citizen. I applied for after birth of my daughter and became PR in June 2010. We visit Canada once a year and spend a month in Canada. In 2011, we planned that we will move to Canada for good. My wife applied for renewal of her PR on humanitarian ground in 2011. I applied to Canadian schools for my masters and all. But I was rejected by a top school in Canada. I do have proof emails and all from school. Later, I was accepted in one of the world's top 5 schools in france and I decided to go ahead with that course. During these two years my wife stayed back in Canada. I spent nearly 100K on my masters and was in debt. Still, I tried to look for job in Canada after my masters. But unfortunately, I did not get a single call for interview. The biggest hurdle was Canadian experience. Hence, taking a logical step, I accepted an offer from my campus. The position was based in Dubai and pay was wonderful (roughly CAD 150K taxfree). Last July my wife joined me in Dubai for a year and yesterday she went back to Canada. Now that I have paid back the debt I am thinking to move to Canada in August.

When my wife landed in Canada yesterday evening, she was sent to immigration. An officer advised that the whole history of our file is on the records. He was of opinion that my wife applied on humanitarian ground stating that we are moving to Canada for good and we did not move to canada. But circumstances were such that actually I did not move to Canada. My wife and daughter were in Canada for whole two years.

My original plan was that my wife goes to Canada in June and I will follow her in August. My PR is supposed to expire on 25Jun 2015. I did not complete my residency obligation. Counting the days that I was in School and the days I spent in Canada, it will be somewhere around 680 days if I move in August and stay till my PR expires. However, now, once the officer questioned my wife on airport, I have doubts whether I should resign from my high paying job, and come to canada.

I have two options.
1. Resign from my from Dubai and look for new job in Canada and continue life in Canada. I am afraid if airport authority will deny my entry. I will end-up losing from both sides if that happens.

2. On the safe side, I may decide to stay back in dubai and let my wife complete one more year in Canada and apply for the Citizenship once she completes one more year in Canada. Will there be any problem if she alone applies for citizenship? (with the background that she applied on humanitarian ground for renewal of PR on the promise that we will move to canada?)

Thank you all in advance for your input and views. Based on your inputs I will either decide to resign in a week or ask my family to comeback to Dubai for good.

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
first of all my best wishes to you and your family on hearing your situation. what you did so far was a wise decision. Never quit job before knowing whats best for you in future. you can enter or exit canada at your will until your PR is valid which you said will expire in 2015. What is your field of job maybe then i can guide your scope of how soon you can get a job. If you have enough saving do come to canada but remember canada is no more a hop to come and get citizenship and leave. you have ylto spend your life here. you and your wife if you get eligible before july 2015 well and good otherwise with new law you need 6 years of stay in canada and past 4 yeras have atleast 6months stay every year

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
harupit200281 said:
2. On the safe side, I may decide to stay back in dubai and let my wife complete one more year in Canada and apply for the Citizenship once she completes one more year in Canada. Will there be any problem if she alone applies for citizenship? (with the background that she applied on humanitarian ground for renewal of PR on the promise that we will move to canada?)
Unfortunately she will likely get RQ'ed and that will delay her application.

Also keep in mind that with bill C-24 passed, the rules have changed to 4 out of 6 years. This will come into effect next summer. If you wife does not apply before the law comes into effect, she may have to wait even longer before she applies.

harupit200281

Star Member
Jun 4, 2009
Thank you Blueshirt and Keesio for your inputs.

@ blueshirt: I am basically a Chemical Engineer with 10+ years of experience. MBA from one of top 5 b schools. Basically focus on EPC companies in Oil and Gas sector. But I dont want to go back to technical side. That is the area where I will get job easily and get paid well. I want to leverage my MBA and that seems difficult as I have only 2 years of experience in Strategy. Again, my plan is not to get citizenship and go back. But to settle here, country throws a lot of impediments I dont know why. When I apply lower level jobs, no one calls me because probably my experience is more and when apply for job suitable to my experience, they want Canadian Experience. This is Chicken and Egg story. :(

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My friend, you need to make up your mind. Do u need
1-to be in Dubai with a good paying job.....
or
2- in Canada with a Canadian citizenship later on but maybe not the job you dream of.
You need decide NOW.
If you choose 1 then enjoy your life in Dubai and forget about Canada, in which case your family too will have to join you and make Dubai home.
If you choose 2 then you need to come back to Canada NOW and forget about your sweet job. Of course it's not gonna be easy given the short time you spent in Canada. In this case here is the plan.
Do not quit your job, since you're not sure they will let u in in Canada. Take a vacation and fly back to Canada and get ready to answer all kind of questions at the border. Have all documents with you about your schooling....refusal in Canada school.....and also your family ties to Canada. Once you re in Canada you need to talk to a lawyer because you will have hard time renewing your PR card.
It's gonna be a long process because just the fact of having spent some days in Dubai triggers RQ.
Whatever you do you need to act fast. You may as well consult a lawyer he may have a better insight.
Good luck

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
harupit200281 said:
Thank you Blueshirt and Keesio for your inputs.

@ blueshirt: I am basically a Chemical Engineer with 10+ years of experience. MBA from one of top 5 b schools. Basically focus on EPC companies in Oil and Gas sector. But I dont want to go back to technical side. That is the area where I will get job easily and get paid well. I want to leverage my MBA and that seems difficult as I have only 2 years of experience in Strategy. Again, my plan is not to get citizenship and go back. But to settle here, country throws a lot of impediments I dont know why. When I apply lower level jobs, no one calls me because probably my experience is more and when apply for job suitable to my experience, they want Canadian Experience. This is Chicken and Egg story. :(
Yeah, I hear you. I sponsored my wife and she became a PR last year. Because she didn't go to school in Canada and she works in the health care industry, she needs to take multiple exams and do all the credentialing juts to have the ability to proactive in Ontario. It's been almost a year and several thousands of dollars later and she is till not done. What a pain. It's ironic because she has studied/worked in the US and Canada uses the same course and test material from the USA but they won't recognize her education and license by default. Too much barriers here. I don't know why because you always hear about the shortage of health care professionals here. It is no surprise many rather go to the US where the pay is higher and the barriers are lower.

QAI

Apr 12, 2008
ya making $150k in Canada is no joke. Jobs in Canada not stable either sadly. If I were you I would never quit the high paying job and try to work things out from Dubai. Doesnt matter if it takes longer, atleast you have a source of income. Rushing to Canada and burning all boats back home won't get you much. Btw in hamilton, I met a cab driver who had a degree in mechnical engineering, he was a manager in hamilton steeles mill. He was let go from his high paying job and now was driving taxi to make ends meet. Life is really tough in Canada unlike what is perceived by the newcomers.
You can also try contacting CIC and see what they have to say.