+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will residence in another country jeopardize PR/citizenship application?

lilua

Jun 11, 2013
Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
While listing my addresses in last 4 years what will happen to the days in transit (was in a flight from one country to another(2/3 days)). What address I should write there? How to report those days?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lilua said:
While listing my addresses in last 4 years what will happen to the days in transit (was in a flight from one country to another(2/3 days)). What address I should write there? How to report those days?
How about en-routing from one airport code (such as YVR, LHR, etc.) to another?

Winnipeg-mb

Aug 15, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It could be an issue, yes. Getting PR in another country after getting PR in Canada could mean that you are planning on leaving Canada and making your home somewhere else. It still wouldn't stop you from getting citizenship but it could mean that immigration gets suspicious that you are lying about your days spent in Canada and gives your an RQ which would delay your application. It could also become an issue if you fail the test and need to go to an interview with a judge.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all,
I have all the symptoms, Here my story,
1] We immigrated in Canada in 09/2007 got our PR right away. my husband , my daughter and I got PR for US just right before our 1095 days. We stayed in Canada for 4 yeas out of 5 year. We have to move to US in 10/2011 due to my in-lows health, it is our culture son must take care of his old and sick parents [who are US citizen].
2] We applied for Citizenship in 10/2010 end of 1095 days, my husband got finger print 12/2011, Test 07/2012, then told by agent we are in queue for judge hearing and that would take up to 35 months. But then in 09/2012 we got RQ my husband and me but not my daughter who was minor at that time.
I was wondering what will happen in interview with judge. Will you please advise me what should I do?- and kind of document should I gather to prove my point. Can judge refuse us to grant citizenship?
Thanks in advance.

Winnipeg-mb

Aug 15, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Winnipeg-mb said:
It could be an issue, yes. Getting PR in another country after getting PR in Canada could mean that you are planning on leaving Canada and making your home somewhere else. It still wouldn't stop you from getting citizenship but it could mean that immigration gets suspicious that you are lying about your days spent in Canada and gives your an RQ which would delay your application. It could also become an issue if you fail the test and need to go to an interview with a judge.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all,
I have all the symptoms, Here my story,
1] We immigrated in Canada in 09/2007 got our PR right away. my husband , my daughter and I got PR for US just right before our 1095 days. We stayed in Canada for 4 yeas out of 5 year. We have to move to US in 10/2011 due to my in-lows health, it is our culture son must take care of his old and sick parents [who are US citizen].
2] We applied for Citizenship in 10/2010 end of 1095 days, my husband got finger print 12/2011, Test 07/2012, then told by agent we are in queue for judge hearing and that would take up to 35 months. But then in 09/2012 we got RQ my husband and me but not my daughter who was minor at that time.
I was wondering what will happen in interview with judge. Will you please advise me what should I do?- and kind of document should I gather to prove my point. Can judge refuse us to grant citizenship?
Thanks in advance.
Please anybody..Leon, Mona_Barca, steaky.....I am getting anxious....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The judge can not refuse to grant citizenship if your PR is still in good standing and you can prove that you had 1095 days when you applied. However, if your interview drags on, be aware that at some point, you will not meet the residency obligation for your PR any more. For PR, you must stay in Canada 730 days any 5 year period. That means you are allowed up to 1095 days outside (3 years) so if you had stayed in Canada for an unbroken 2 years before 10/2011, you would have to come back to Canada no later than 10/2014 to keep your PR. If you had not stayed in Canada for an unbroken 2 years before 10/2011, you would have to come back sooner.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Winnipeg-mb,

What documents did your husband submit with his RQ? The Judge will be looking for similar documents - if you show up without these he/she may give you time to get them or he/she could make a decision on what is available to him/her. If the judge is not satisfied that you have demonstrated being present for 1095 days then he/she will reject the application. You can appeal to the Federal Court. You need to be proactive on this. As Leon pointed out you need to watch your PR status - you have to be a PR until oath date. Your 5 year rolling period has already moved forward and you will soon lose any days you had in Canada prior to Sep 2008!!

Winnipeg-mb

Aug 15, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
Winnipeg-mb,

What documents did your husband submit with his RQ? The Judge will be looking for similar documents - if you show up without these he/she may give you time to get them or he/she could make a decision on what is available to him/her. If the judge is not satisfied that you have demonstrated being present for 1095 days then he/she will reject the application. You can appeal to the Federal Court. You need to be proactive on this. As Leon pointed out you need to watch your PR status - you have to be a PR until oath date. Your 5 year rolling period has already moved forward and you will soon lose any days you had in Canada prior to Sep 2008!!
Leon said:
The judge can not refuse to grant citizenship if your PR is still in good standing and you can prove that you had 1095 days when you applied. However, if your interview drags on, be aware that at some point, you will not meet the residency obligation for your PR any more. For PR, you must stay in Canada 730 days any 5 year period. That means you are allowed up to 1095 days outside (3 years) so if you had stayed in Canada for an unbroken 2 years before 10/2011, you would have to come back to Canada no later than 10/2014 to keep your PR. If you had not stayed in Canada for an unbroken 2 years before 10/2011, you would have to come back sooner.
Thank you very much Leon and Msafiri,
With RQ we sent all our Residential leases, my daughter's and my school documents/certificates. our pay stabs and tax summary for 4 years right from 2007 to 2011. the only thing we left out was our first 15 days in Canada. we didn't have any documentation for it, we stayed with my husband's friend of friend until we got out own apartment. Do you think that will be a problem? Though we stay in Canada 4 years out of 5 years as PR. We got our renewed PR on 02/2012.
Thanks again

shy_guy

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
11-08-2014
Med's Request
11-08-2014
Med's Done....
10-09-2014
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-07-2015
Hi Leon or Senior members,

I have a query for my friend (who was Bangladesh citizen at time of PR and now Hungary citizen at time of PR renewal).

she obtained PR Canada (spousal category) some 4 and a half year ago. But after landing she went to Hungary (she had a residence permit there and was working) with his Canadian passport holder Husband, She lived there for 2 years and then return to Canada with him with full intention of living in Canada now. Meanwhile, she has now obtained Hungary citizenship and revoked her original Bangladesh citizenship for that.

Now she has to apply for PR card renewal, so the question stands , does CIC will give her refusal or tough time coz now she has a new citizenship (Hungary) during this Canadian PR period ?

yr97

Apr 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shy_guy said:

I have a query for my friend (who was Bangladesh citizen at time of PR and now Hungary citizen at time of PR renewal).

she obtained PR Canada (spousal category) some 4 and a half year ago. But after landing she went to Hungary (she had a residence permit there and was working) with his Canadian passport holder Husband, She lived there for 2 years and then return to Canada with him with full intention of living in Canada now. Meanwhile, she has now obtained Hungary citizenship and revoked her original Bangladesh citizenship for that.

Now she has to apply for PR card renewal, so the question stands , does CIC will give her refusal or tough time coz now she has a new citizenship (Hungary) during this Canadian PR period ?
No.. Also, if she's outside Canada with her Canadian citizen husband, these days do not count as absences to maintain her PR status. She can be a PR and live outside Canada her whole life, as long as it's with a Canadian spouse, she can return to Canada at anytime and renew her PR card(because her status is valid)

shy_guy

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
11-08-2014
Med's Request
11-08-2014
Med's Done....
10-09-2014
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-07-2015
yr97 said:
No.. Also, if she's outside Canada with her Canadian citizen husband, these days do not count as absences to maintain her PR status. She can be a PR and live outside Canada her whole life, as long as it's with a Canadian spouse, she can return to Canada at anytime and renew her PR card(because her status is valid)
thanks alot (+1)

ajohal3

Star Member
Aug 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 18, 2011
AOR Received.
Sep 19, 2011
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
NO
Med's Request
Sep 19, 2011
Med's Done....
Sep 23, 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
14-02-2012 (In Person)
LANDED..........
14-02-2012 (Peace Bridge)
Hi Shy_Guy,

I have a similar case, got Citizenship of another country after getting PR in Canada and now going to renew my PR card. Did CIC give any trouble to your Bangladeshi Friend for this?

shy_guy said:

ajohal3

Star Member
Aug 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 18, 2011
AOR Received.
Sep 19, 2011
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
NO
Med's Request
Sep 19, 2011
Med's Done....
Sep 23, 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
14-02-2012 (In Person)
LANDED..........
14-02-2012 (Peace Bridge)
I got no problem at all. I declared my new Citizenship and the new Citizenship was added to my renewed PR Card. It took IRCC a while to issue me the renewed PR Card though. I applied in February 2017, got AOR and delay in processing letter (Secondary Review) in April 2017. Also got a request for documents in April 2017 to submit colored copies of each page of Passports held within last 5 years. Finally got my PR Card in December 2017.
Hi Shy_Guy,

I have a similar case, got Citizenship of another country after getting PR in Canada and now going to renew my PR card. Did CIC give any trouble to your Bangladeshi Friend for this?