+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will not having GIC put me at an disadvantage

Dynamo12

Jan 14, 2024
I just recieved my pal for a post baccalaureate diploma in accounting program at university of bc, they do not accept advance payment owing to which I am stuck with non sds, since I will be applying for non sds only I am left with the option of either getting a gic and still apply under non sds or not getting it and showing the funds in my local bank account, does it affect my visa approval chances if I don't get a gic account made. I don't feel very comfortable blocking money in a gic account.

Also I am using my sibling as a sponsor whose bank statements i am using i am 26 yo, does it affect me in any way..??

I also applied earlier without a PAL, but my application was withrawn since it did not include attestation letter as is required

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
I just recieved my pal for a post baccalaureate diploma in accounting program at university of bc, they do not accept advance payment owing to which I am stuck with non sds, since I will be applying for non sds only I am left with the option of either getting a gic and still apply under non sds or not getting it and showing the funds in my local bank account, does it affect my visa approval chances if I don't get a gic account made. I don't feel very comfortable blocking money in a gic account.

Also I am using my sibling as a sponsor whose bank statements i am using i am 26 yo, does it affect me in any way..??

I also applied earlier without a PAL, but my application was withrawn since it did not include attestation letter as is required
IRCC didn’t say specifically, since they list below the requirements (webpage didn’t say “all” items must be complied):

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/get-documents.html#doc3

Proof of financial support
You must prove that you can support yourself and the family members who come with you while you are in Canada.
You can prove your funds with
  • proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, if you’ve transferred money to Canada
  • a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
  • proof of a student or education loan from a bank
  • your bank statements for the past 4 months
  • a bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars
  • proof you paid tuition and housing fees
  • a letter from the person or school giving you money, or
  • proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program
If your country uses foreign exchange controls, you must prove that you’ll be allowed to export funds for all of your expenses.
Others may have a different interpretation, though.

Ross88

Star Member
May 27, 2023
Canadian GIC is easier to verify than anything foreign, and if in CAD no risk that the local currency exchange rate changes putting you below the threshold.

Dynamo12

Jan 14, 2024
IRCC didn’t say specifically, since they list below the requirements (webpage didn’t say “all” items must be complied):

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/get-documents.html#doc3

Others may have a different interpretation, though.
That's what logic dictates, unfortunately IRCC is known to use logic while making decisions. I've made my decision based on the same assumption that any of them would be fine.. Hoping IRCC would approve the visa without a need for GIC, since I applied for one without it.. I don't see the point in blocking my money abroad untill I am certain that I will recieve a visa. Even if there are forex fluctuations, I have shown enough to cover for that as well.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Doesn’t help that you’re 26, an adult, and your sibling is sponsoring you …..
Think about that