+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my US VISA overstay effects getting a CANADIAN Work Permit?

Sep 23, 2016
Hi, In 2013 i was traveling to a pacific island on a work permit(job) i had a 5 years multiple US transit
visa and i had my transit via USA but when i landed in USA my job agent was suppose to meet me and give me
my necessary documents/tickets to travel to this place where i was offered a job but sadly i was a victim of fraud and
these so called agents vanished away with no contact(its a long story) then i was stranded in USA for 4 months unable to return home but
finally i was able to return home but i have a 3 months overstay in US. I was granted visa for 1 month and i didn't had a way to return home until
i got a ticket but i was never deported or anything nor i dont have any ban.

1.)Anyway my question is im being offered a new Job in Canada and if i apply will the Canadian immigration rejected my application because of my US overstay?

2.) Even i get the work permit from the embassy in my home country will the CBSA let me in when i land in Canada?

Please I hope if there is anyone with accurate information regarding this matter would answer
Cause im being offered a really good job but this issue is really stressful so yah!

Thank you!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
worldtraveler123 said:
Hi, In 2013 i was traveling to a pacific island on a work permit(job) i had a 5 years multiple US transit
visa and i had my transit via USA but when i landed in USA my job agent was suppose to meet me and give me
my necessary documents/tickets to travel to this place where i was offered a job but sadly i was a victim of fraud and
these so called agents vanished away with no contact(its a long story) then i was stranded in USA for 4 months unable to return home but
finally i was able to return home but i have a 3 months overstay in US. I was granted visa for 1 month and i didn't had a way to return home until
i got a ticket but i was never deported or anything nor i dont have any ban.

1.)Anyway my question is im being offered a new Job in Canada and if i apply will the Canadian immigration rejected my application because of my US overstay?

2.) Even i get the work permit from the embassy in my home country will the CBSA let me in when i land in Canada?

Please I hope if there is anyone with accurate information regarding this matter would answer
Cause im being offered a really good job but this issue is really stressful so yah!

Thank you!
1) Probably yes.

2) If a visa is granted, CBSA probably won't deny entry. Nothing is guaranteed.

irvah

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Applicants seeking a visa to enter Canada are checked against US immigration databases under a bilateral treaty signed in 2012.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/laws-policy/agreements/can-usa-agreement.asp

I would not worry if there is no criminal background.

The overstay could affect you if you would hide the time overstayed in the USA.

Rosa1883

Sep 20, 2016
Need urgent help

Hello,
I am on 90 days reatoration period and I applied for study permit during those days . Can I stay in canada while I am waiting on my application result? Or do I have to leave Canada after finishing those 90 days . I don't want to take a chance because it's my restoration period.