+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my common law partner relatives with criminal records affect me?

PresidentMacAwesome

Feb 28, 2015
Hello all,

I just recently got an ITA, they have asked a few questions about my common law partner, her family members and so on. The thing is her brother and sister has criminal records but my partner doesn't, do you think this will affect me in CIC decision?

Could they not give me the PR because of my partner's relatives?

Thank you.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PresidentMacAwesome said:
Hello all,

I just recently got an ITA, they have asked a few questions about my common law partner, her family members and so on. The thing is her brother and sister has criminal records but my partner doesn't, do you think this will affect me in CIC decision?

Thank you.
Unlikely to affect your PR application. The system asks for the basic details of parents and siblings of all applicants but not their PCCs.

PresidentMacAwesome

Feb 28, 2015
Thank you Asivad, has anyone else had any experience or issues related to this? The thing is I am already here in Canada and applying as a FSW, why would they need so much information about my common law partner?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PresidentMacAwesome said:
Thank you Asivad, has anyone else had any experience or issues related to this? The thing is I am already here in Canada and applying as a FSW, why would they need so much information about my common law partner?
They need information about the immediate blood relatives of PA, spouse and dependent children because all of these people can later be sponsored under family class immigration to Canada. No other reason to get their details.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It won't affect your application. The question about immediate relatives is standard, but as Asiv has already said, their criminal background is irrelevant.

(If it were an issue, I wouldn't be here in Canada; I have a couple of immediate relatives who have not so clean PCCs ;) ).

Reactions: Islander5548

Nithin123

Jan 1, 2020
If my brother is having a minor criminal record in Canada, will it affect the application of my student visa?Please reply.

6010Abc

Nov 6, 2023
Hello all,

Thank you.
What was your situation? Can you please explain , i know its very old thread