+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

will I lose OHIP if I quit job

Faah1234

Jan 17, 2020
Hey guys can someone please help me tried calling service Ontario but it seems they don’t even have the answer for me. I applied for my OHIP AND got the card in August, I recently put in my 2 weeks notice and my last day of work is December 1st. My pgwp expires on dec 22, 2025 so does my health card. Will I lose OHIP on December 1st since I won’t have a job, I’m still looking and more worried about OHIP because I have serious health issues. When I lived in BC the health card was not dependent on the job. Can someone please help thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey guys can someone please help me tried calling service Ontario but it seems they don’t even have the answer for me. I applied for my OHIP AND got the card in August, I recently put in my 2 weeks notice and my last day of work is December 1st. My pgwp expires on dec 22, 2025 so does my health card. Will I lose OHIP on December 1st since I won’t have a job, I’m still looking and more worried about OHIP because I have serious health issues. When I lived in BC the health card was not dependent on the job. Can someone please help thank you.
To qualify for OHiP you had to show that your full-time job will last over 6 months. This is to ensure that the people on WP are contributing to the tax base if receiving OHIP. Do you have another job lined up if you quit before the 6 months? If you quit you are also not entitled to EI.

Last edited:

Faah1234

Jan 17, 2020
To qualify for OHiP you had to show that your full-time job will last over 6 months. This is to ensure that the people on WP are contributing to the tax base if receiving OHIP. Do you have another job lined up if you quit before the 6 months? If you quit you are also not entitled to EI.
yes i know i dont qualify for EI, just concerned that what can i do if i stop working on the 1st. How can I ensure i can get some things covered is there private insurance? I still don’t have a job lined up I’m applying and none of the companies have called me for an interview.
I started working in June and December would be 6 months