+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will a previous F1 Visa Refusal have a negative impact on my Canadian Student Visa Permit application?

WakeUpp

Aug 27, 2023
Hi to all. I studied in the US under a F1 Visa and left the country within the allowed grace period. After, I applied to study another program and on the interview the Visa Officer determined that I don’t needed to study that program and cancelled my student visa, but left the visitor visa active. After a couple months, my visitor visa expired, went to the embassy and got it approved.

I’m seriously considering going to study to Canada, but I’m a little bit worried about my student visa permit application since I heard that American & Canadian embassies frequently exchange information.

Will a previous Visa Refusal have a negative impact on my Canadian Student Visa Permit application?

Side Note: I haven’t committed any crimes or violations of the law neither in the US or my home country.

Thank you all!

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi to all. I studied in the US under a F1 Visa and left the country within the allowed grace period. After, I applied to study another program and on the interview the Visa Officer determined that I don’t needed to study that program and cancelled my student visa, but left the visitor visa active. After a couple months, my visitor visa expired, went to the embassy and got it approved.

I’m seriously considering going to study to Canada, but I’m a little bit worried about my student visa permit application since I heard that American & Canadian embassies frequently exchange information.

Will a previous Visa Refusal have a negative impact on my Canadian Student Visa Permit application?

Side Note: I haven’t committed any crimes or violations of the law neither in the US or my home country.

Thank you all!
Immigration in the US and Canada do share info along with many other countries.

A previous refusal from the USA could have an impact but it depends on the context of why it was refused, in your case I don't think it is a big problem. I don't know if the USA is the same but in Canada IRCC wants to see that the courses you plan to take is a normal progression in your studies to further your qualifications. If they don't think it does then the app will be refused. So it is important to make sure that courses chosen will do that.

With your application you are required to disclose all visa refusals world wide. You should include a letter explaining the reason for the refusal.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

Thank you all!
Yes. They are 5 eyes countries and share immigration and security information. It is especially magnified if you are of Indian origin at the moment due to Nijjar's assassination by the hands of Indian agents.

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021

Thank you all!
Acknowledge the US Visa refusal and explain why you want to study in Canada in the program you chose. Declare the visa refusal in your application form. That's all you can do.