+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will a part time spring/summer semester affect my PGWP?

ginsang

May 3, 2015
Hi everyone I am new here!

I am a graduate student of a 2-year master program. My first (2014 fall, Sept-Dec) and second (2015 winter, Jan-April) semester are full time, 2015 spring/summer session (May-June this year) is part time, then the last semester 2015 fall will change back to full time. Will the part time spring/summer session affect my 3-year PGWP? Thank you. :)

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

ginsang said:

I am a graduate student of a 2-year master program. My first (2014 fall, Sept-Dec) and second (2015 winter, Jan-April) semester are full time, 2015 spring/summer session (May-June this year) is part time, then the last semester 2015 fall will change back to full time. Will the part time spring/summer session affect my 3-year PGWP? Thank you. :)

Yes, it will.

th3.rdx

Jul 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ginsang said:

It is mentioned in CIC website that you should keep your status as a full time student or it can result in a refusal . But in actual as long as you are a genuine student and sometimes all the courses aren't available or you have failed a course or withdrawn . Then it doesn't makes any effect whatsoever .

You should complete your rest of studies as a full time or contact your prgram co-ordinator if you still have some problems in going full time or courses aren't available.

I donnt think it will make any effect if you have a genuine reason or you consulted it with your coordinator . You can forward a letter from your co ordinator or explain in SOP , if anything wents wrong .

But nothing worse gonna happen if you are full time most of the time..

Hope that helps :)

ginsang

May 3, 2015
th3.rdx said:
It is mentioned in CIC website that you should keep your status as a full time student or it can result in a refusal . But in actual as long as you are a genuine student and sometimes all the courses aren't available or you have failed a course or withdrawn . Then it doesn't makes any effect whatsoever .

You should complete your rest of studies as a full time or contact your prgram co-ordinator if you still have some problems in going full time or courses aren't available.

I donnt think it will make any effect if you have a genuine reason or you consulted it with your coordinator . You can forward a letter from your co ordinator or explain in SOP , if anything wents wrong .

Thank you. I did not fail or withdraw a course, just because if I do part time in summer (one or two courses), I can maintain full time (three courses) for my final semester. Does anyone have similar experience?

th3.rdx

Jul 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is not any issue ..... Students who complete study with a part time status.

Or If they were part time more than 50 % times in the completion of course.

Then it can negatively effect your PGWP.

Still i will suggest you to go and talk with your program co-ordinator he/she will tell you the same .
Its not any issue ;)

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

ginsang said:
Thank you. I did not fail or withdraw a course, just because if I do part time in summer (one or two courses), I can maintain full time (three courses) for my final semester. Does anyone have similar experience?

If you want your PGWP to be refused straightaway, you can be part time anytime. By rules, you can be part time only in the last semester when only few courses left to complete the course.

Fodrigoal

Feb 24, 2017
th3.rdx said:

th3.rdx said:
This is not any issue ..... Students who complete study with a part time status.

Or If they were part time more than 50 % times in the completion of course.

Then it can negatively effect your PGWP.

Still i will suggest you to go and talk with your program co-ordinator he/she will tell you the same .
Its not any issue ;)
J5M said:
Hi,

If you want your PGWP to be refused straightaway, you can be part time anytime. By rules, you can be part time only in the last semester when only few courses left to complete the course.

So, who is right in this case? th3.rdx or JRM? Part-time for reasonable and genuine reasons (like course canceled in the middle of the term, my case) in only one term that isn`t your last = PGWP denial, or l as long as you are a genuine student and do all the other terms full time you should be ok?

Please help me, I`m super worried! Thanks

varunnarayan

Jun 15, 2015
Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-0
Let me clear the confusion o'er here and give you the right info.
No, Part time during summer will not affect your PGWP because it's not a scheduled academic term. Summer is a vacation period which is not considered by CIC. Yes, You can work full-time and study part time on the side during summer. That's an added advantage .However , You'll need to be full time during academic term which is fall/Winter. Most guys here are diploma seekers who don't have this option. Diploma courses don't have academic breaks due to its non professional aspect. You don't need a professional Engineer/Prof to teach you a diploma course. So,You're safe. This info was given to me by my counsellor as well as my immigration lawyer.

Shaon

Nov 25, 2017
Let me clear the confusion o'er here and give you the right info.
No, Part time during summer will not affect your PGWP because it's not a scheduled academic term. Summer is a vacation period which is not considered by CIC. Yes, You can work full-time and study part time on the side during summer. That's an added advantage .However , You'll need to be full time during academic term which is fall/Winter. Most guys here are diploma seekers who don't have this option. Diploma courses don't have academic breaks due to its non professional aspect. You don't need a professional Engineer/Prof to teach you a diploma course. So,You're safe. This info was given to me by my counsellor as well as my immigration lawyer.
Hello everyone. I am a little bit tensed for a reason. I am a full time diploma student in Niagara college. After finishing my first semester I changed my program at the same college at the same level. There is a prerequisite course in my New program. But that will only offer in Fall semester. So in short I will study back to back 4 semesters as a full time student and need to take to that prerequisite course in Fall semester which will be my final semester. Because only that course I need to graduate. Only for that semester I will be part time. Will it have a negative impact on my pgwp? My international officer said it's cic rules that i can be part time in last semester to meet the graduation requirements if I had studied full time rest of the time. Is there anyone who was in the same situation but got pgwp? Any help any suggestions will be helpful. Thank you.

rtdjin3000

Sep 2, 2019
Hi,
I am graduating this August from my Masters program from UNB, Fredericton. I am applying for my PGWP. My program is a 12months program with 2 semesters (fall+winter) of study and a summer term as project/internship. Internships are not an integral part of the program though. The dean told that I don’t need a coop work permit to work full time during summer. I did the internship in Toronto and submitted the project. I have graduated now.

I was going through some post here and got the idea that It is fine and will not affect my PGWP application.

My query is, although CIC treats summer as a default break, do I need to mention this unique situation in my Letter of Explanation?