+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife's first and last name changed - please help

amvk

May 13, 2011
hello all

i am canadian pr , i recently got married in india and my wife's first and ofcourse last name both are changed , so i have some questions on how to apply for sponsorship, my wife's passport and all documents are in her old name but marriage certificate issued by civil court mentions her new name

so should she first change her name in passport in india, PAN CARD and then i should apply for her immigration

pls help

thanks

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She doesn't have to change her name if she doesn't want to. But if you want the PR card issued in her married name, then the passport must also be changed.

amvk

May 13, 2011
well - we have already decided to change her name , all the older documents like her passport , pan card , educational documents etc are all in old name , so i guess first we have to work on changing her name in passport etc and only then apply for immigration , some one pls confirm

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amvk said:
well - we have already decided to change her name , all the older documents like her passport , pan card , educational documents etc are all in old name , so i guess first we have to work on changing her name in passport etc and only then apply for immigration , some one pls confirm
It's only the passport you need to worry about for immigration purposes. They can see from the marriage certificate what her maiden name is so her school records, etc. don't need to be changed.

asiddiq

Mar 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul 2010
Doc's Request.
Remed & PCC on 02-08-2011
AOR Received.
Aug 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Request
02-08-2011 (Remed)
Med's Done....
07-08-2011
Interview........
Interview Waived
Passport Req..
24 Oct 2011, Submitted 30 Oct
In addition to rjesseme's advice, you could also attach an Affidavit from a lawyer about her name changes from old one to the new one.

Accordingly, name in passport needs to be changed if you decide to do so. Try to get a fresh one, in stead of amendment. When applying for a new passport, as she is your wife, put your name as her husband ( I m not sure if it asks in your country to put husband's name after marriage, In some country girl's father name is put before marriage)

As you might require to attach her educational certificates as supporting reference ( Her background / educational information will be in the application), it's also suggested you mention her other names ( alias) in the sponsorship application, write a note of changes of her name and an affidavit from a lawyer.

Hope it helps.

amvk

May 13, 2011
Thanks - here is my plan of action

1. First change her name in passport in india (get a fresh passport)
2. Make a affidavit from lawyer regarding name change
3. Apply for Police clearance cert - for her

so once i have her new passport and other document , i can then start the process , send the sponsor application to Mississauga case processing center

some one pls confirm - thanks

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yes.
You need to get her medical done as well.
There is a question about previous names used in the forms, so you must list her maiden names and previous names there.

asiddiq

Mar 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul 2010
Doc's Request.
Remed & PCC on 02-08-2011
AOR Received.
Aug 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Request
02-08-2011 (Remed)
Med's Done....
07-08-2011
Interview........
Interview Waived
Passport Req..
24 Oct 2011, Submitted 30 Oct
make sure you do the affidavit first, then apply for fresh passport.
Also, if possible, circular that your wife's name changes in local newspaper ( English and local language), that will be great.

And medical as said by other forum member.