+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

wife in canada --- need to sponsor

redman19

Oct 23, 2016
So we just moved to Canada in May , my wife came on a visit visa , we were planning to come for a vacation , but I got fired from my job back in Dubai . So we had no other choice , as she cant go back to her home country in Syria. So myself (born in Canada), wife and two kids (both Canadian) , came here and we are residing in BC since then.

Before applying for sponsorship , I wanted to collect the documents , so I requested for a police certificate through in Dubai through an office in Ottawa , it takes 4-6 months to complete.

So I called immigration they said I can apply without it , and mention that its under process.

So now my question is , do I need to apply the sponsor application for first - Application to sponsor , before sending the remaining documents , and also what fees do I need to pay , do I need to pay everything upfront , or do I need to pay the 75 dollars first , and then once I submit her application for sponsorship I pay the remaining fees?

Can someone help me please? Ps my wife is currently in Canada with me as I mentioned.

redman19

Oct 23, 2016
Also please note that my wife and I have been married for 7 years and have two kids , do we still need to provide all those pics asked for in the sponrship questionnarie

Sous02

Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-16
Doc's Request.
22-08-2016
AOR Received.
06-05-16
File Transfer...
28-05-16
Med's Done....
Up front/passed
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
You need to pay everything but the right for permanent resisidence fee. It is better to pay even that first but you can do it later. There are no shortcuts I am afraid. Although with a seven year marriage and two children you can go for quality over quantity in proving your relationship

redman19

Oct 23, 2016
Understood , I have all the pictures required. In addition , do I need to send both the sponsorship form in addition to the whole package , or just the application to sponsor form first , in addition , how long does it usually take as her visit visa expires in 2018 .

Also , how long does she need to wait to get the PR , and then to get a passport , and can she travel if she has a PR , or get a temporary travel document , or should she travel with her passport

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You send in the sponsor forms and the applicant forms together.

You have to prove that the relationship is genuine and was not entered into just so she could come to Canada. Because of the length of your relationship, and the fact you have two children, this should be easy to prove, but you should still send in a variety of proof.

There is no way to tell how long the application will take, really. A relationship like yours will most likely be done more quickly than the average.

She travels on her own current passport. When she becomes a citizen she can get a Canadian passport.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
redman19 said:
So we just moved to Canada in May , my wife came on a visit visa

her visit visa expires in 2018
CBSA usually grants 6 months visitor status upon entry. Unless your wife was issued a visitor record at the border granting her a longer stay, her visitor status expires next month. It doesn't matter how long her TRV is valid for. She needs to make sure that she applies to extend her stay BEFORE her current status expires.

redman19 said:
Understood , I have all the pictures required. In addition , do I need to send both the sponsorship form in addition to the whole package , or just the application to sponsor form first , in addition ,

how long does it usually take as her visit visa expires in 2018 .

Also , how long does she need to wait to get the PR ,

and then to get a passport ,

and can she travel if she has a PR ,

or get a temporary travel document , or should she travel with her passport
The entire application needs to be sent together. If you only send the sponsor forms, the app will be returned to you.

How long depends on many factors. Most of the time, people are advised to apply outland. However, since her home country is currently a warzone, you may want to consider an inland application. IRCC is trying to speed up the processing times for inland but it may take up to 2 years for the app to be processed. She can submit an Open Work Permit application along with the inland application; she will receive the OWP after about 4 months and it is generally valid for 2 years, unless her passport is expiring before then. If you decide to apply outland, she will need to continue to extend her visitor status throughout the process.

No one can say for sure how long the PR app will take.

When you say "get a passport", are you asking about a Canadian passport? If so, with the PR processing time, the citizenship residency requirement and the citizenship processing time, she is at least 5 years away from that.

I assume you are asking whether being a Canadian PR will allow her to travel places without a visa. You will find that the vast majority of countries will evaluate her only as a Syrian citizen and therefore require a visa.

Travel Documents are for refugees. If she travels, it will be on her Syrian passport.

redman19

Oct 23, 2016
Thanks for your reply . Where do I apply for the extension is there a specific form I need to fill and send over ? Can you please advice me? So I will do the extension first , and then apply for her correct?

redman19

Oct 23, 2016
She was given a visitor visa , that expires in 2018 , with multiple entry and exit , do I still need to apply for extension

redman19

Oct 23, 2016
The Visitor visa expires on 23/01/2018, it was issued on 08/04/2016. This is already documented in the passport . Is this extension only applicable if you came as a visitor and they stamped your passport for an entry and u only have 6 months from that date?

redman19

Oct 23, 2016
Also this vistor visa was put on her passport before entering Canada , it was done by the candian embassy and its valid until 2018 ...do I still need to apply for extension

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
redman19 said:
The Visitor visa expires on 23/01/2018, it was issued on 08/04/2016. This is already documented in the passport . Is this extension only applicable if you came as a visitor and they stamped your passport for an entry and u only have 6 months from that date?
A visitor visa allows a person to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. It does not grant status in Canada.

She was granted visitor status by CBSA when she entered Canada. As I already stated, unless she was issued a visitor record, she was given the standard 6 months.

If she doesn't apply to extend her status before her current status expires, she will be in Canada illegally. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

I suggest you really start researching all of this, as you don't seem to know even the basics.

redman19

Oct 23, 2016
I am really confused now. When she entered Canada , she already had a visitor visa on her passport issued by the Canadian embassy , which expires in 2018 , and its a multiple entry visa .

She did not receive a visitor visa at the boarder , as the country of origin is entitled for a visitor visa . She was given a Temporary resident visa , so does the 6 month rule apply to her as well?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
redman19 said:
I am really confused now. When she entered Canada , she already had a visitor visa on her passport issued by the Canadian embassy , which expires in 2018 , and its a multiple entry visa .

She did not receive a visitor visa at the boarder , as the country of origin is entitled for a visitor visa . She was given a Temporary resident visa , so does the 6 month rule apply to her as well?
Again, a TRV is what allows a person to travel to Canada. It does NOT GRANT STATUS IN CANADA. Visitor status, as granted by CBSA upon entry, is what allows a person to be in Canada.

Yes, the rules apply to her, just as they apply to every single other visitor to Canada.

Seriously, go to the IRCC website and start reading.