July/15/10
Passport Req..
April/14/11
VISA ISSUED...
May/17/11
LANDED..........
May/25/11
Hi everyone,

I need some help with information, my wife will be applying soon to be a citizen. She is a PR for 7 years and a costa rican native.

My question is, a few years ago my wife assumed my last name, and this was years after we got married, she wants her citizenship and passport to show her first name and her assumed last name. How does this work? what can I send to prove this? marriage certificate does not show her assumed name. thanks for your help.

Gary

garytheoiler

Jun 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec/13/10 App. Rec.........: Dec/15/10
AOR Received.
Feb/01/11
File Transfer...
Jan/17/11
Med's Done....
July/15/10
Passport Req..
April/14/11
VISA ISSUED...
May/17/11
LANDED..........
May/25/11
Hi everyone,

I need some help with information, my wife will be applying soon to be a citizen. She is a PR for 7 years and a costa rican native.

My question is, a few years ago my wife assumed my last name, and this was years after we got married, she wants her citizenship and passport to show her first name and her assumed last name. How does this work? what can I send to prove this? marriage certificate does not show her assumed name. thanks for your help.

Gary
Bump

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

Gary
Did you actually check the application package or even Google "Canada citizenship name change"?

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
Hi everyone,

Gary
When I applied for my citizenship, I submitted our marriage certificate because like your wife, I want my married name to be on my citizenship certificate and passport. My Pr card was still in my maiden name when I applied but there was no problem with it. My health card is in my maiden name too. (no problem). My driver's license and my passport from the Philippines is in my married name.

When I had my test and interview, there was no problem at all.

There is a question on the form when you fill it out- What name would you like to use? (something like that) then you would put FIRST NAME and the MARRIED NAME.

So just submit your marriage certificate. If her Costa Rican passport is in her married name then that's even better.

Reactions: garytheoiler

garytheoiler

Jun 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec/13/10 App. Rec.........: Dec/15/10
AOR Received.
Feb/01/11
File Transfer...
Jan/17/11
Med's Done....
July/15/10
Passport Req..
April/14/11
VISA ISSUED...
May/17/11
LANDED..........
May/25/11
When I applied for my citizenship, I submitted our marriage certificate because like your wife, I want my married name to be on my citizenship certificate and passport. My Pr card was still in my maiden name when I applied but there was no problem with it. My health card is in my maiden name too. (no problem). My driver's license and my passport from the Philippines is in my married name.

When I had my test and interview, there was no problem at all.

There is a question on the form when you fill it out- What name would you like to use? (something like that) then you would put FIRST NAME and the MARRIED NAME.

So just submit your marriage certificate. If her Costa Rican passport is in her married name then that's even better.
Thank you for your reply, that really helped me. Only thing I am worried about is that her PR card and foreign passport reflect her maiden name and not her assumed last name. All her IDs like drivers license, health card bank information is all updated though.

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
Thank you for your reply, that really helped me. Only thing I am worried about is that her PR card and foreign passport reflect her maiden name and not her assumed last name. All her IDs like drivers license, health card bank information is all updated though.
I think it will be ok. As I have said My pr card is in my maiden name. As long as you submit marriage cert. and her driver’s license, healthcard with her married name, it should be ok.