+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why immigrate to Canada?

jpartogi

Sep 1, 2009
Hi,

Looking at various topics here, I was wondering what are the reasons people want to immigrate to Canada and not other country? What is it that makes Canada so attractive than other countries? The answers can get quite subjective, so don't abuse it.

Regards,

ranjus

Apr 29, 2004
My personal reasons -

1. Only 3 people per sq km
2. Assimilation of all the cultures
3. Live with no fear of terrorism
4. Pristine untouched nature.
5. Recent survey says Canadians have cleanest hands :)

strong

Aug 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
regarding your question, I was thinking same ways when I came here 10 years ago..
But in canada caz winter is to longggg I feel home sick all the time and feel depration too. and vacation is just 2 weeks, when you start working for few years. but I heard Astralia have 4 weeks.
anyhow If you want to move to canada just watch for this matter, life here is just workinggggggg, and you have to like and enjoy Snow if you want to come here....
Good luck

casachucky

Mar 9, 2008
Canada is great to be if you have Children. The schooling system is the best.
Also the medical system is great in Canada. The downside is the Weather.

jpartogi

Sep 1, 2009
casachucky said:
Canada is great to be if you have Children. The schooling system is the best.
Also the medical system is great in Canada. The downside is the Weather.
Can you explain more what's so good about the schooling system and medical system?

strong

Aug 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am sure europe is much better than canada or USA, yes school system or health might be better than middel east but for sure not better than europe even in europe university and health is free also.
any how I did not find anything much better than europe. just better than middel east..
europe don't accept immigrant just refugee.... thats why everybody want to come canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Having lived in Europe as well, I can't really say that Europe is better than Canada. It's just different. Canadian healthcare is criticised for having waiting lists. Guess what, there are waiting lists in Europe too. In some European countries, the universities are free, in some you pay a little. In Canada, you pay a little more. In Canada, you don't pay to finish high school. In some European countries, you can't even complete high school unless you had good grades in elementary school and your parents put you in the right school after elementary. In Canada you have little job security but more opportunities to advance. In Europe, you have more job security but hard to find a job. So.. not better. Different.

strong

Aug 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yes Leon, you are right it is just different. I think I am so home sick here and that is why I put some negative but I know people in canada they are so cold and not friendly maight be in front of you they are nice but if you have some dificulty and need help they are just thinking about their life...
may be they know anyhow goverment would help them anyways for any needs, but for emotionaly nobody help each other and if we don't have family here will be just heal...
again I am getting so home sick, sorry...

jpartogi

Sep 1, 2009
Leon said:
In Canada you have little job security but more opportunities to advance. In Europe, you have more job security but hard to find a job. So.. not better. Different.
Does that mean Canadian companies more likely to fire employees? Can you explain a little bit more about that?

Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is much easier for Canadian companies to fire employees. In Europe, the labour laws are so strong that if you are hired on somewhere, it can be very hard to fire you, even if the company is doing badly. Because of that, it's hard to get hired and the companies cheat by hiring people on contracts or using manpower agencies. Once people are hired, they sometimes stay in the same job forever, even if they don't really like it because they are afraid it will be hard for them to get another job.

In Canada, the employee doesn't have that many rights. The company is doing badly and they send you home with 1 day notice on unpaid vacation. "Sorry buddy, times are tough, we'll call you when there's work." You are free to look for another job while you wait for the call, unless of course if you are on a work permit, then you'd have to get it changed before you take another job. You do not know if they will call you back in a week or in 2 months. They could theoretically call you back in 2 months, have you work for a day and then send you back on vacation. This is referred to as a temporary lay-off. They can also cut your hours any time they feel like or they can just lay you off permanently but then they need to pay you your notice. It's more likely that they'll use temporary lay-off because if you have another job by the time they call you to come back, they never have to pay you for your notice period.

Because it's so easy to get rid of people, it's also easy to get another job. The employer knows that if he doesn't like you or your work or he doesn't need you anymore, he can get rid of you easily so he has little to lose by hiring you. This makes the job market very fast. You can have a job today, unemployed tomorrow, new job next week.

It's actually considered good for your CV in Canada if you have changed jobs every 3-5 years. That means you've stayed long enough to gain experience but not long enough to get lazy. If you'd stayed in the same job very long, it might be seen as a sign of being lazy, unmotivated, afraid to try new things, afraid of challenges etc.

jpartogi

Sep 1, 2009
Wow thanks for that comprehensive explanation Leon. :-D Really appreciate it. I will use this for my future reference before I'm going to Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And of course I may add, if you are a really good employee and important to the company, they will not lay you off temporarily when times are tough because they want to keep you and they know if they send you home, you will use the time to find another job and not come back. Instead if times are really tough, they may ask you nicely if you mind taking a couple of long weekends while they are short of work :)

optimadam

Sep 8, 2009
I would say why do I want to live were I am now.

I feel alien in my own country.

I have spent a big of time in canada and find the people a lot more friendly and I love the space. I dont like being trapped in little boxes.

At the moment I am working all the time, so it doesnt matter where I am for that.

I cant comment on the weather as every time I have been over there its been too warm for me.