+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Who will be affected by Bill C-24 ?

look4d

Apr 17, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello friends,

I didn't read much about Bill C-24 , but I have one question, Who will be affected by Bill C-24 ? (when it comes to intention to reside in Canada after getting citizenship), who ? the ones applying after the bill passed and enact, the ones who didn't get their oath yet, or every one with dual citizenship ?

Will you sign about that intention to reside in the application or at oath time?

Thank you

mtl2014

Star Member
Mar 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
read this topic:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t184449.0.html

look4d

Apr 17, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you mtl2014 , I am not concerned about 1095 days , I am concerned about the intend
to reside point.

Thanks

mtl2014

Star Member
Mar 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok so take a look at this thread but please read all the comments :

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/c24-retroactivity-and-applicability-t213575.15.html

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
This is a good question. Theoretically, it is possible that if bill C-24 becomes effective once your application is in process, CIC may make the "intend to reside" clause apply to you. In that case, they may ask you to sign the declaration during the test. I don't think it is very likely though, because it means if you move abroad while your application is in process, CIC will actually refuse to grant you citizenship!

look4d

Apr 17, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you guys, I have taken the test on 13rd June 2014 , but they asked for passport translations to be sent , they didn't ask me to sign about intending to reside in Canada.

Do you think they can postpone the process or delay the oath invitation till the bill pass ?, do you think they make me sign that at oath time?

Thanks

Michels

Nov 20, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
look4d said:
Thank you guys, I have taken the test on 13rd June 2014 , but they asked for passport translations to be sent , they didn't ask me to sign about intending to reside in Canada.

Do you think they can postpone the process or delay the oath invitation till the bill pass ?, do you think they make me sign that at oath time?

Thanks
The bill point out that the intention should be until you get the Oath.. Alexander mentioned that in the 3rd reading opening speech

Paragraph (2)(1.1), states:

For the purposes of paragraphs (1)(c.1) and 11(1)(d.1), the person’s intention must be continuous from the date of his or her application until they have taken the oath of citizenship.

look4d

Apr 17, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I go outside of Canada for a visit back home for 5 weeks after the test and before the oath , that would invalidate the intention to reside in Canada?
Thanks

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
look4d said:
If I go outside of Canada for a visit back home for 5 weeks after the test and before the oath , that would invalidate the intention to reside in Canada?
Thanks
Residing and visiting in foreign countries are two different things. I hope CIC knows the difference and not enforce the new rules in blind.

look4d

Apr 17, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the new rules are enforced , would that affect the old applicants or the new ones only?
Thanks

springtime

Star Member
May 5, 2014
look4d said:
If the new rules are enforced , would that affect the old applicants or the new ones only?
Thanks
very good question, I wish someone answer this,

Thank you so much in advance!