+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

who can sponsor who?

peimomma

Feb 28, 2010
I want to sponsor my husband, but I can't because I am on SA. I can't get off SA, because I can't find a job, and need to be able to feed my children (who by the way, are his kids). We have been married 5 years, and have lived in Canada for 3 of those years. He has been on a work visa. Does anyone know if my dad can sponsor him? My dad said he would, but we don't know if that qualifies.... this is the most frustrating thing... It stupid really....

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
cant ur husband feed ur kids? (send them money) so that u can go find a job or at least get off SA

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, your dad can not sponsor him. Depending on his work visa and the province, his employer might be able to sponsor him under a provincial nominee program and if he is doing a skilled job, he can apply himself under Canadian experience class.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just for clarification, can I ask what type of social assistance you're receiving? If it's maternity benefits, that's a form of EI so that is not social assistance (sometimes people confuse the 2 so just wanted to be sure for your sake). If it is social assistance that you're receiving, then as said before, you can't sponsor. If there's any way for you to go off SA, then definitely do that, otherwise, your only other choices are the PNP or FSW programs that Leon suggested. Good luck.

alycat

Mar 17, 2010
Hello,i am new here and i will like to know if my husband can sponsor my mother.We are here for two years with PR status,but i don t have a job ,i am a home staying mom..if my husband co sign(he can prove the right amount of income for 4 people)? Or i have to start a job..and after how long i can sponsor her,ocourse with my husband as a co signer?thank you!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your husband co-signs and you can prove that together you made enough money last year to support your family as well as your mother, you can apply to sponsor your mother right now. It will not be fast though.

alycat

Mar 17, 2010
Thank you for your quick answer!Should i bring her ,first as a visitor and aplly after for sponsorsh.?i don t know the pro and cons for this situation,wich can be faster, in land or out land?Can she stay with us for all this period?i know that i have to ask for a visa extension..do i have to send the visa ext and the sponsor apllication in the same time? will both have to be sent to mississauga? The applications for parents from Europe can be sent to Buffalo instead of Mississauga?Can the medicals be a reason for refusal..she has a ucer ,but is long gone..she had tretment,needs now only some preventive meds,maybe for life.I am sorry,a lot of questions..but i am really worried for my mother..she is 71,widow for 15 years..only me to take care of her and her needs..my sister back home..can t won t take care of my mom like sharing resp.We offered all the money..still someoane have to check on her from time to time.MU sis answ:i have my family.i am so worried..for weeks i can t stop crying.thank and goodluck to yo all

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

alycat said:
Thank you for your quick answer!Should i bring her ,first as a visitor and aplly after for sponsorsh.?i don t know the pro and cons for this situation,wich can be faster, in land or out land?Can she stay with us for all this period?i know that i have to ask for a visa extension..do i have to send the visa ext and the sponsor apllication in the same time? will both have to be sent to mississauga? The applications for parents from Europe can be sent to Buffalo instead of Mississauga?Can the medicals be a reason for refusal..she has a ucer ,but is long gone..she had tretment,needs now only some preventive meds,maybe for life.I am sorry,a lot of questions..but i am really worried for my mother..she is 71,widow for 15 years..only me to take care of her and her needs..my sister back home..can t won t take care of my mom like sharing resp.We offered all the money..still someoane have to check on her from time to time.MU sis answ:i have my family.i am so worried..for weeks i can t stop crying.thank and goodluck to yo all
1. There is no inland sponsorship for parents.
2. It is extremely doubtful that she could remain in Canada for the 4/5 years that the application and sponsorship will take.
3. You should read: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/family.asp and then look at the application forms.

PMM

alycat

Mar 17, 2010
Thank you so much!I will look into that...so ,the application for sponsorship and the extension of visa goes to Mississauga only?i saw so many posts about Buffalo being quicker...sorry i don f know the diff.Thank you mill.times!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You could bring her as a tourist, especially if she is visa exempt and then continue to apply for extensions for her every 6 months and see how it goes. If you were ever denied, you could appeal on H&C grounds because she is elderly and has nobody to take care of her back home. Who knows, maybe it would work to keep her with you during the entire processing time. You would however have to pay for all of her medical bills because as a visitor in Canada, she would not be covered by health care. You could also look into having her visit you for 6 months a year where she would keep residence in the country where she is from and may keep health care there.

You have no claim to get processed in Buffalo unless your mother lives in the US or is a US citizen. Otherwise, it will have to go the visa office responsible for the country where she comes from.

Right now, it is taking Mississauga 34 months to approve sponsors for parents, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship After that, you can see processing times for parents in Europe here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/08-fc-parents.asp#europe

alycat

Mar 17, 2010
Thank you ,thank you..i ll start to look in good insurance companies..i need some that will cover pre existing cond ..she has an ulcer,but it was diagnosed last year,still taking preventive meds..those will be maybe for life.Thank you again!!!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The medications may not be that expensive. Find out the name of it and find out from a pharmacy if it is sold in Canada and how much it costs. If it isn't sold in Canada, she would have to switch medications. It should be easy enough to go to a walk-in clinic, pay for the visit and get a prescription.

sanjeevindia

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thank to the thread starter. i have all info i required. have a case similar to alycat, only diff she is already in Canada, whereas i have to land there and then sponser my father. the only family i'll leaving to take care of him will be my late brother's widow and their three kids. is there a waiting time to sponser my father once i land in Canada or i can right away apply for his immigration? and also can i sponser my late brother's kids? and how long i have to wait before applying for a visitor visa for my father?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply for a visit visa for your father right away if you want to but there is no guarantee he will get one.

You can apply to sponsor him once you have shown that you make enough money to support yourself, spouse, dependent children of your own as well as your father.

You can not sponsor your brothers children under the federal system because they are not orphans since their mother is still alive. If you are living in certain provinces where there is a family stream, you may be able to sponsor them later when they are grown up if all requirements are met.