+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

While in the process of applying does a child need a passport?

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all

My common law partner from The Philippines and I were able to get her permanent residence about 3 years ago and now finally we are ready to bring her child here.
He child is 6 years old.

We'd like to apply asap and the child Mother, my common- law partner is headed to The Philippines to get some paperwork in order.

Here are some questions.....

Once we apply to Canada, does the child already need a passport? Or can we wait until she is approved for permanent residency?

I assume we need to get the health check up right away before applying
And of course assume no police check needed for a 6 year old child.

Any other advice would be appreciated!

thanks so much

mrsB

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2015
Doc's Request.
10-06-2015
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
File Transfer...
21-05-2015
Med's Done....
26-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
HOPEFULLY SOON!
LANDED..........
SOONEST POSSIBLE TIME! :D
If i were in your shoe, I would get the child a passport prior to starting an application (just in case). It's valid for the next 5years anyway. and perhaps, it is one of the required documents with your application.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
You did include the child in the common law application as a non accompany dependent did you not.Yes the child will need a passport to entry Canada . As a Permanent resident your common law partner will have to be living in Canada when applying for her daughter. Did you sponsor your common law partner?

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Taffy

yup we of course included her daughter in the application when I sponsored my common law partner. I do understand her daughter will need a passport to enter Canada.

However I'm wondering if it's possible to apply for her daughter and once approved after x amount of months, then at that time apply for a passport.
the reason is that my partner is headed to The Philippines very soon but she has a very limited time and the passport office requires certain National Statistics Documentation (NSO) first and nowhere near her hometown where she will be.

So it's our hopes we can get her birth certificate and everything else ready but apply for the passport only when we will have the daughter fly here.

But we're not sure if the passport is needed first in order to apply, or is just birth certificate with Mothers name on it good enough?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Boracay said:
Hi Taffy

yup we of course included her daughter in the application when I sponsored my common law partner. I do understand her daughter will need a passport to enter Canada.

However I'm wondering if it's possible to apply for her daughter and once approved after x amount of months, then at that time apply for a passport.
the reason is that my partner is headed to The Philippines very soon but she has a very limited time and the passport office requires certain National Statistics Documentation (NSO) first and nowhere near her hometown where she will be.

So it's our hopes we can get her birth certificate and everything else ready but apply for the passport only when we will have the daughter fly here.

But we're not sure if the passport is needed first in order to apply, or is just birth certificate with Mothers name on it good enough?
The child will need a valid passport in order to even be approved for her PR visa. Your wife will need to figure out how/when to get the correct documents together and apply for the passport. They visa office will want the passport in order to stamp the travel visa inside of it.

This is going to be the same exact process for your wife to sponsor her daughter as it was for you to sponsor your wife.

Good luck.

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Another question I have is does anyone know where we can find a list of the qualified doctors for the medical in Baguio?

We went there before but would like to make an appointment but we forget the name.
There is a link of the checklist document but when I click it, it says this page no longer exists :mad:

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
Sorry can't help you there.May be someone on the Manila thread can help you out.

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
Boracay said:
Hi all

My common law partner from The Philippines and I were able to get her permanent residence about 3 years ago and now finally we are ready to bring her child here.
He child is 6 years old.

We'd like to apply asap and the child Mother, my common- law partner is headed to The Philippines to get some paperwork in order.

Here are some questions.....

Once we apply to Canada, does the child already need a passport? Or can we wait until she is approved for permanent residency?

I assume we need to get the health check up right away before applying
And of course assume no police check needed for a 6 year old child.

Any other advice would be appreciated!

thanks so much
You need to find a way to get the passport, no way to get the confirmation of permanent residence going without sending tje passport to Manilla Visa Office. No way around it.

cutetwins

Star Member
Dec 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-Jan-2015
AOR Received.
24-Apr-2015/ SA and AIP Apr 12,2016
Med's Done....
Upfront - Jan 2016
there is a 7 day express processing passport in Manila it costs an extra fee rather than the regular one...if your partner can stay for these days then the childs passport will be ready...you only need the photocopy for now anyway and once approve that is the time that the original passport will be submitted for visa stamping

cutetwins

Star Member
Dec 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-Jan-2015
AOR Received.
24-Apr-2015/ SA and AIP Apr 12,2016
Med's Done....
Upfront - Jan 2016
Panel Physicians in Baguio City

City: Baguio City
Name: Damaso C. Bangaoet III
Address: NATIONWIDE HEALTH SYSTEMS BAGUIO,INC.,
Room No.1, Ground floor, EDY Building,
144 Kisad Road (BGH Rotonda),
Telephone: (074) 442-6811
Spoken Languages:

City: Baguio city
Name: Larry Haya
Address: Nationwide Health Systems Baguio,
Room No.1, EDY Building,
144 Kisad Road,
Telephone: 074-426-4596
Spoken Languages: English

City: Baguio city
Name: Mary Rose De Castro-Alvarez
Address: Nationwide Health Systems Baguio,
Room No.1, EDY Building,
144 Kisad Road,
Telephone: 074-426-4596
Spoken Languages: English

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks so much CuteTwins!!

She's going to apply for the passport in the La Union or Dagupan. As it's close to her home town, first she will get the NSO stuff.

Regarding the medical, do you know if there are any forms she needs to bring with her?