+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which NOC code to use(0213 or 2173)

reachsky

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
I am designated as "Project Manager" in my organization. In Payslip occupation is "Project Manager". But in my work permit my occupation is "Software Engineers".

When I apply under CEC which NOC category I need to enter, is it 0123(Computer and information Systems Manager) or 2173(Software Engineers and Designers).

bahadur30

Mar 29, 2012
India
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - CPP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2013
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
File Transfer...
DID UPFRONT MEDICAL
Med's Request
22-06-2013
Med's Done....
22-06-2013
Interview........
Waived Off
Passport Req..
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2013
LANDED..........
18-12-2013
Would you mind listing down your job duties ..and that will tell us which NOC codes suits you better..

reachsky

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
 Understand the client requirements and write down the software details
 Study the specifications provided by the clients and seek clarifications for the doubts raised
 Draft a flow chart to plan and organize the methods by which the software would deliver
 Translate the software requirements into software functions by coding the program using Object oriented Programming language (Java).
 Design using UML and develop the software based on the designs approved by the review committee
 Install the software in the system(Windows 2007, Linux) using Intel processor and test for efficiency and productivity
 Ensure the system responds with an error message if a wrong command is typed in
 Debug the system to remove the anomalies and inconsistencies
 Upgrade the software and modify its features to meet the changing client demands
 Troubleshoot the system in times of system failure or breakdown
 Coordinate with engineers from other disciplines to develop the end product of the requisite standards
 Conduct meetings with the clients on monthly basis to discuss project progress
 Provide satisfactory answers to the client queries, suggestions and complaints
 Customize the software to suit the product nature, size and expected functioning

Candy11

Dec 2, 2012
Hi Reachsky,

You should use the NOC code that is linked to your latest work permit,because VO allways base line the NOC based on the WP and not on your designation. I see lot of people in this forum use the NOC based on the duties that they do, but not on the WP and that the reason why they get rejected.If you need more details send me your WP details, including expired once just send me the start date and expired date and also job the title

reachsky

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
Work Permit details:

Start date: 9/Nov/2010
Exprity date: 31/Mar/2011

Start date: 12/Apr/2011
Exprity date: 15/Apr/2012

Start date: 16/Apr/2012
Exprity date: 10/May/2014

reachsky

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
Hi Candy,

You mentioned a very important point ath "VO allways base line the NOC based on the WP and not on your designation", is it based on your experience or can you provide me some reference to it in some document.

kpadmaraman

Star Member
Apr 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2012
Doc's Request.
20-10-2012 (RCMP)
AOR Received.
31-07-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
31-07-2012
Med's Request
22-10-2012
Med's Done....
01-11-2012
Passport Req..
19-12-2012
Hi,
I would suggest going to nearby CIC centre and explain it to them saying, the office has promoted you as PM and your WP still says "Software Engineer". Ask them if its easy to change the Designation in WP and their records. You can also explain that you want to apply for PR. Maybe they can help you out.

reachsky

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
Hi kpadmaraman,

My designation was Project Manager even before I came to Canada, so it has not changed over time. I carry the same designation for last 6 years.

But as per your suggestion I will reach out to CIC and sought their advice as well on this.

reachsky

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
Just a correction, since I got transferred to Canadian branch the transfer letter which I got before travelling to Canada doesn't have any designation as such, though my experience letter states my designation as Project Manager both before and after coming to canada.

Candy11

Dec 2, 2012
Hi Reachsky,

Here is my suggestion,

Option 1:

When you make the application, pls use NOC 2173 as this is the correct code that matches with your work permit. Now ensure that in the employment confirmation letter has the duties that matches with the duties of the Software engineer. DO NOT COPY the duties from the CIC, they will straight away reject the applicaiton if its matches one to one.Also include a bit flavour of PM activties in the letter. The reason why I am suggesting this way is, there is no PM title under the skill Level A or O in HRSDC.

Option:2
The other expensive alternative is to get the new WP under NOC code 0213 ,I guess would be difficult? But you can go with the Option 1 and as suggestion, don't with the option of filling the forms first, but first collect all the required document as per the check list and fill out the forms at the last..

Hope this helps and I telling on my fruitefull outcome experience and reference as well.