+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Whether to land using Open WP or PR card

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have a PR visa, you will enter on your PR visa and become a PR. After that, you don't need a work permit.

vineethere

Jun 4, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-09-2012
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
25-06-2013
Med's Request
25-11-2013
Med's Done....
05-12-2013
Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
Hi Leon - for some reason, your reply is not visible in the main thread. I had to search all posts by you and got this reply which i am assuming is for my latest question. Not sure, if i am getting your reply which i feel is not what i was asking.

My quesiton was - To travel to Canada, is the OWP stamping in my passport enough or I need a TRV (Temporaty Resident Visa) as well? (some people were sayng). My understanding is - TRV is given at the POE by a VO which denotes how long can one actually stay after landing. I dont think i need a TRV now for the travel. Pls confirm.

-Vineet

PS - I saw, this was your reply to my post -

"If you have a PR visa, you will enter on your PR visa and become a PR. After that, you don't need a work permit."

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vineethere said:
Hi Leon - for some reason, your reply is not visible in the main thread. I had to search all posts by you and got this reply which i am assuming is for my latest question. Not sure, if i am getting your reply which i feel is not what i was asking.

My quesiton was - To travel to Canada, is the OWP stamping in my passport enough or I need a TRV (Temporaty Resident Visa) as well? (some people were sayng). My understanding is - TRV is given at the POE by a VO which denotes how long can one actually stay after landing. I dont think i need a TRV now for the travel. Pls confirm.

-Vineet

PS - I saw, this was your reply to my post -

"If you have a PR visa, you will enter on your PR visa and become a PR. After that, you don't need a work permit."
I was visa exempt so I have never had to worry about a TRV myself. From what I have heard, a multiple entry TRV is usually granted with a work permit. However, it is also possible to have a TRV that expires at a different time than the work permit.

I recall a poster here stating that his live-in caregiver went home on holidays and when she wanted to return, her TRV was expired although her work permit was still valid and the embassy refused her a visa to return.

Because of that, you need to clear up with CIC if you need a TRV to go with your open work permit. Try the call centre for starters.

That is unless you already have your PR visa in which case you would just use that and land as a PR.