+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where to start... work permit, visitor, marriage? Going crazy!

AZSvenska

Sep 11, 2017
I’m not sure where to ask this question, so I’ll post it in two forums. My apologies for the length… but bear with me if you can.

A brief intro about me: I am 33 years old and am currently in veterinary school in Arizona. I have a college degree and was an administrative assistant and then accounting manager for the last 8 years before applying to vet school. I met my now fiancé about a year and a half ago in Arizona. He is a Canadian citizen living in the Vancouver area. We want to do everything exactly right, but the more I read the more confused I become. I thought I’d have an easier time navigating through the processes but I’m finding that isn’t the case. Between work permit applications, sponsors, fast track immigration programs for skilled applicants, etc. I don’t know what to proceed with.

I’m not looking for anyone to do the work for me or spoon-feed me with instructions. I’m simply looking for any recommendation or nudge in the right direction, and it would be greatly appreciated! So, here I go...

My fiancé is in the film industry and has passed my resume around to his colleagues. I’ve received positive feedback from many people assuring me that with my accounting background, I should be able to find employment rather easily. This is encouraging but leads me to my primary question. Do I secure a job offer (hopefully!), apply for a work permit and work and live in BC for a period of time before we get married? Or is it better to get married and then make the move to BC? I know being married to a citizen doesn’t guarantee much, but I’ve read horror stories about both options and am completely intimidated by the possibilities.

I’d have a place to live immediately and a financial “sponsor” until gaining employment of my own, but I’m terrified of doing the wrong thing first or missing a step in the process that could be detrimental to my eventual goal of becoming a permanent resident and living with my husband-to-be. He's not just a "close friend" but he is not my spouse or my common law partner as we have not lived together for at least a year.

As I mentioned, ANY advice would be so valued. We both want to do this the right way, I just wish I knew what the “right way” was. Thank you so much in advance!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Do I secure a job offer (hopefully!), apply for a work permit and work and live in BC for a period of time
Not so easy to work in Canada, you must first get a work permit. This can only be done in basically 3 ways for an American:
1. Working holiday "SWAP" visa for a 1 year open work permit. Aimed at recent graduates and has age limits, so not sure if you'd qualify for this.
2. Get a job offer for a NAFTA qualifying job, and make sure you have proper education/experience to back it up. Then with a job offer you simply get a work permit at the border. See section 3.8 here if your intended employment would qualify: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/international/nafta.asp
3. Get employer to go through LMIA process to get you a closed work permit. Employer needs to pay a fee, spend few months advertising job to prove no Canadian can be hired for role, and go through paperwork to get LMIA approved. Mostly possible only for highly skilled jobs where hiring a qualified Canadian is difficult.

Of course you can always come to Canada as a visitor in the meantime. If you do decide to get married or become common-law, your spouse can then sponsor you for PR. If they use the INLAND method, you'd get an Open Work Permit approx 3-4 months after submitting the PR app.

I_Miss_Him

Star Member
May 22, 2016
Visa Office......
Beirut
App. Filed.......
December 2015
AOR Received.
January 2016
Med's Done....
upfront
Interview........
June 2016
Passport Req..
12-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
16-06-2017
The best option is definitely to get married and do a spousal sponsorship.
You come to Canada as a visitor, and once you are here, apply for a work permit and find a job. It is hard to find a job in Canada from outside. Then you can submit an inland sponsorship application.
Otherwise, just submit an outland spousal application and wait until it is approved. It should take about a year or so and then you can come as a Canadian Permanent Resident.

haXudon

May 31, 2015
only you can answer your own question.

what is more important to you? love or money?

if the answer is love. and you want to live with your husband-to-be. be with him the fastest and easiest way possible. then you should do OUTLAND SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP.

if the answer is money. you want to have a great career. open opportunities for yourself in Canada. be a responsible, tax-paying citizen. then you should do FEDERAL SKILLED WORKER - Express Entry.

if you're not sure whether it's love or money. then you should get a TRV, live-in with your husband-to-be. if it works out maybe should get married then. if you're not yet sure and still want to stay in Canada, then either extend your TRV, or go to school and get a student visa which will then give you a work permit after you graduate.