+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where to go in Saskatchewan - Saskatoon or Regina?

nainabjj

Apr 5, 2015
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
30-08-2016
Doc's Request.
21-10-2016
Nomination.....
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
25-01-2017
File Transfer...
23-02-2017
Med's Request
08-06-2017
Med's Done....
14-06-2017
Passport Req..
28-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2017
LANDED..........
soon
What about the work chances in regina because i filled regina as a city in my application

sasakaka

Jul 31, 2016
nainabjj said:
What about the work chances in regina because i filled regina as a city in my application
professional work chance in my opinion is more than saskatoon cause regina has more industrial companies, like agriculture manufacturers, saskpower, saskenergy.
but canada is a social network country, especially in small cities. most of the job are filled by reference.
the first job is hard because they usually don't hire a person without canadian experience.

Gladossy

Nov 29, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
12**
App. Filed.......
10/01/2017
Doc's Request.
31 Jan - Schedule A
AOR Received.
10/01
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Passed: 29/01/1987
Passport Req..
25/05/2017
Thank you for starting this thread.
@sasakaka which of the cities do you suggest for a family of three? We got nominated by Sinp recently and will be applying with cic soon, and if all works out in 6 months time we will be heading to Saskatchewan. I am just not sure of which of the cities is best and less expensive for young families. I couldn't find any solid information on the government of Saskatchewan website. Less expensive and available jobs, Saskatoon or Regina? Or any other city not mentioned?

krunal2904

May 9, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
From My point of view.

Saskatoon is better that Regina. for expense may be both are same but to find a job, Saskatoon is better that any other cities.

Thanks,
Krunal

sasakaka

Jul 31, 2016
Gladossy said:
Thank you for starting this thread.
@sasakaka which of the cities do you suggest for a family of three? We got nominated by Sinp recently and will be applying with cic soon, and if all works out in 6 months time we will be heading to Saskatchewan. I am just not sure of which of the cities is best and less expensive for young families. I couldn't find any solid information on the government of Saskatchewan website. Less expensive and available jobs, Saskatoon or Regina? Or any other city not mentioned?
while for living expense, food or transportation almost the same.
for house price, some people say regina is lower that saskatoon. while i bought a house at saskatoon last year and i am looking for another house in regina cause i changed my job here. i would like to say no big difference, it depends on the area and house condition. old house like 1960s, 1000sqt, at common area (not rich area nor downtown mess area) usually 300,000-350,000 CAD. new house usually cost 500,000-600,000.
not big difference between saskatoon and regina.
i think you should choose a place that you have friends or easy finding a job. and moving is very common in canada. so you may choose one city for landing and move to where you can find a job.

Gladossy

Nov 29, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
12**
App. Filed.......
10/01/2017
Doc's Request.
31 Jan - Schedule A
AOR Received.
10/01
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Passport Req..
25/05/2017
sasakaka said:
while for living expense, food or transportation almost the same.
for house price, some people say regina is lower that saskatoon. while i bought a house at saskatoon last year and i am looking for another house in regina cause i changed my job here. i would like to say no big difference, it depends on the area and house condition. old house like 1960s, 1000sqt, at common area (not rich area nor downtown mess area) usually 300,000-350,000 CAD. new house usually cost 500,000-600,000.
not big difference between saskatoon and regina.
i think you should choose a place that you have friends or easy finding a job. and moving is very common in canada. so you may choose one city for landing and move to where you can find a job.
thank you for your reply. Too bad we have no friends in Saskatchewan. We are just ready for a new, peacefully, affordable, and comfortable life. Which of the cities do you personally think it is easy to find a job? You mentioned you stayed in Saskatoon for 3 years and currently in Regina. From your overall observations of all jobs, what city would you recommend? I read couple of comments online that the less popular cities/small towns "have many available vacancies because people do not apply for jobs there". How accurate do you find that comment?

sasakaka

Jul 31, 2016
while in canadian's eye, saskatoon and regina are not 'small cities' lol
although there are relative small populations, the jobs opportunities are also less than big cities especially professional jobs.
many of my friends who graduated here with bachelor or master or even doctor degree moved to other provinces for jobs, not because they don't want to stay here but they can't find a job...
so if you just want to find a job and don't care what it is, for example sales, labour work, saskatoon may have more jobs because it has large population and commercial business.
i moved to regina because i found an engineer job here, and my friends who are also engineers and don't want to move out of saskatoon still can't find an engineer job for almost 10 months.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Hey just so you all know for people wanting government job in Regina, Provincial government has put a hiring freeze on all positions.

---

Funny enough Regina and Saskatoon are about the same size, but Saskatoon feels like much bigger than it is and Regina feels like a small rural town. Saskatoon is more industrious and more business and industrial activities while Regina is heavily a government/Crown town. (With notable exception of Evraz and Mosaic)

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
besbi07 said:
initially i checked ESTEVAN (so many Oil and gas company) but last july flood all over in place.. waaaaa erase erase hahaha.. .saskatoon or regina.. but take note of lloydminster (half alberta half saskatchewan) near edmonton....

is it ok to live there and work in edmonton?..
it's a dead town even before the flood...really if you work in Estevan/Weyburn, you are lucky to keep your job. (I am very lucky and gracious for that)

remember 2.5 hours one way is 5 hours both ways. Gas and time probably isn't worth the drive. The highway 16 is nice to drive tho

Gladossy

Nov 29, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
12**
App. Filed.......
10/01/2017
Doc's Request.
31 Jan - Schedule A
AOR Received.
10/01
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Passport Req..
25/05/2017
sasakaka said:
thank you for taking your time to explain. I understand better now. Much appreciated. +1

sasakaka

Jul 31, 2016
mf4361 said:
Hey just so you all know for people wanting government job in Regina, Provincial government has put a hiring freeze on all positions.

---

Funny enough Regina and Saskatoon are about the same size, but Saskatoon feels like much bigger than it is and Regina feels like a small rural town. Saskatoon is more industrious and more business and industrial activities while Regina is heavily a government/Crown town. (With notable exception of Evraz and Mosaic)
yes. feels like regina is more country style than saskatoon
as for the industries, saskatoon has some manufacturing plants which need labours and some technicians. they mainly provide parts to engineering companies. in regina there are many companies in the north industrial area that have their own products. so they need engineers, purchase officers, etc.
anyway where has a job where is better.

henryahmed

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2015
Nomination.....
03-11-2015
I live in Regina but i visit saskatoon very often because i have friends there. I personally like saskatoon a little bit better than regina but my wife, for example, likes regina better. Both cities are very similar it is just that in my opinion saskatoon seems to be a younger city than regina.
I think that both cities are excellent to raise a family. I have two small children, one of them in grade 2, and our experience in that area has been great so far.
About jobs... i think that if you have an occupation in demand (you should if you are in this forum) and you have good english skills you will not have any issues finding a good job. Remember, you know you have something to offer to employers, you are a professional. You just have to show them your skills and you will be on your way.

In my case i was hired at my first job interview and they were not even looking to hire anyone at the moment... they just saw that i had something to offer and they made room for me. I know that this may not apply to all companies or all careers but i am speaking out of my experience. I am a mechanical engineer and i work in the refrigeracion and HVAC industry.

The cold? well... today was -34 celsius with the windchill... if you work outside or if you do not have a car it can be very challenging for sure. In my case i have a car and i work indoors. I just dress for the weather and everything is just fine.

besbi07

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2015
henryahmed said:
I live in Regina but i visit saskatoon very often because i have friends there. I personally like saskatoon a little bit better than regina but my wife, for example, likes regina better. Both cities are very similar it is just that in my opinion saskatoon seems to be a younger city than regina.
I think that both cities are excellent to raise a family. I have two small children, one of them in grade 2, and our experience in that area has been great so far.
About jobs... i think that if you have an occupation in demand (you should if you are in this forum) and you have good english skills you will not have any issues finding a good job. Remember, you know you have something to offer to employers, you are a professional. You just have to show them your skills and you will be on your way.

In my case i was hired at my first job interview and they were not even looking to hire anyone at the moment... they just saw that i had something to offer and they made room for me. I know that this may not apply to all companies or all careers but i am speaking out of my experience. I am a mechanical engineer and i work in the refrigeracion and HVAC industry.

The cold? well... today was -34 celsius with the windchill... if you work outside or if you do not have a car it can be very challenging for sure. In my case i have a car and i work indoors. I just dress for the weather and everything is just fine.
you just answer my question perfectly and completely... you're hired! .. just kidding.. btw, thanks for your response buddy.. i do searched as well and some says Regina is a boring place (maybe because it is not that lively city as saskatoon) and they found Saskatoon full of excitements...

But with your experience, it quite interest me to look forward with Regina more even considering the provincial govt is there...

thank you

besbi07

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2015
sasakaka said:
i lived in saskatoon for 2 years and now i am living in regina for 8 months.
For the city they are pretty much the same, saskatoon has more populations, but not a big difference.
for jobs i can say both very difficult to find a professional job. if you want to do a customer service or labour work, saskatoon may have more opportunities.
if you want to do the professional work you used to do without Canadian experience, as far as i know very little chance.
thanks buddy,, hope to meet you there someday.. you've mentioned 1225 NOC , Regina have a lot of promises to that? which place does have more Oil and gas Company, Regina or Saskatoon?