+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where to apply for new Work Permit

nptfdo

May 23, 2010
Hi,

I am currently working in Canada and my work permit is valid only for my current employer.
My work visa is valid till late 2011. I understand that if I change my employer then I would need to apply for another work permit.

I have been told that it takes around 4-5 weeks to get a new work permit.
Is there a faster way to do that? Can I get a new work permit at port of entry? Would Niagara border officers be able to issue the new work permit?

Thanks !

peimomma

Feb 28, 2010
You can go to the POE, but they may or may not give it to you. My husband had a hard time getting a new visa at the border.... after 3 hours, and him walking to the USA border and back, they eventually gave him his new visa. Try to get a man officer, the women seem a lot harder to deal with!

Lhay

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Hi,

just want to share my work permit processing time, I sent my application May 10 thru mail and the CIC received May 11. I got a quick response and approve work permit May 27 and the work permit dated May 26.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Lhay said:
Hi,

just want to share my work permit processing time, I sent my application May 10 thru mail and the CIC received May 11. I got a quick response and approve work permit May 27 and the work permit dated May 26.
Wow Lhay Congratulations! That was really fast. Do you know how long your employer waited for the LMO? Thanks much.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
peimomma said:
You can go to the POE, but they may or may not give it to you. My husband had a hard time getting a new visa at the border.... after 3 hours, and him walking to the USA border and back, they eventually gave him his new visa. Try to get a man officer, the women seem a lot harder to deal with!
Do they now give visas at the border? I thought visas are to be applied for at a Canadian visa office or consulate.

Hairball

Jun 8, 2010
job_seeker said:
Do they now give visas at the border? I thought visas are to be applied for at a Canadian visa office or consulate.
Technically speaking a work permit isn't a "visa". If one is from a TRV-free (temporary resident visa) free country, then you can just simply show up and apply for the work permit at the border assuming you meet the other requirements.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Yes, if you are from a visa exempt Country, you can flagpole at the border and as long as all your papers are in order, get a work visa at the border.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Without discussing the various options...

Doesn't a work permit require at the very least a Job Offer?

As a US citizen I can not just show up (at the border) and say I want a work permit to work in Canada when I do not have a job (offer), right?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
sogwap said:
Without discussing the various options...

Doesn't a work permit require at the very least a Job Offer?

As a US citizen I can not just show up (at the border) and say I want a work permit to work in Canada when I do not have a job (offer), right?
A job offer/contract for those job types that do not require LMO, otherwise, LMO and job contract. The officers at POE checks the length of contract and grants WP for as long as the length of the contract. But if one needs a TRV, s/he must apply to a visa office outside Canada, then obtain WP at POE.

psalmon

Jun 22, 2010
HI, I just wanted to add my own question to this topic for your thoughts:

I'm currently in Canada (from the UK) on a work permit. my current job ends at the end of this month (although my work permit is good til feb 2011) and when I looked into applying for a new work permit I read that I can apply for a spousal open work permit as my wife has a permanent job and it is class B on the NOC scale (4212). Her work permit is valid until feb 2012. I'm hoping to go across the border to the states tonight and try and change the conditions on my work permit when i come back into canada so i can get a spousal open permit until feb 2012 based on my wife's job. I was going to apply through the mail but I read that it could take 6-10 weeks to come back which would be time I wouldnt be able to work so i thought going to the border would be a quicker option. do you guys know if this is a sensible option? is it likely to work?
thanks

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
psalmon said:
HI, I just wanted to add my own question to this topic for your thoughts:

I'm currently in Canada (from the UK) on a work permit. my current job ends at the end of this month (although my work permit is good til feb 2011) and when I looked into applying for a new work permit I read that I can apply for a spousal open work permit as my wife has a permanent job and it is class B on the NOC scale (4212). Her work permit is valid until feb 2012. I'm hoping to go across the border to the states tonight and try and change the conditions on my work permit when i come back into canada so i can get a spousal open permit until feb 2012 based on my wife's job. I was going to apply through the mail but I read that it could take 6-10 weeks to come back which would be time I wouldnt be able to work so i thought going to the border would be a quicker option. do you guys know if this is a sensible option? is it likely to work?
thanks
Well you don't need a TRV so you can do that. Bring copies of your wife's WP and a copy your marriage contract to show relationship.