+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

where do people holiday in Canada during christmas days

at9459

May 30, 2009
I am reaching toronto on 21st Dec and all my relatives are busy for their Holidays,
Where can we go to enjoy the holidays between 24 th -28th.
Any suggestion .

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I am not sure which country you are coming from, but in many cases Canadians may be flying THERE for sunshine over Christmas. If you are into skiing that can be good fun over Christmas, if accomodations are available. With all the travel you have done I expect you are looking for something festive and local. I hope some of the Toronto people will come up with ideas (I've never been there), but I recall seeing pictures of people skating downtown. Wishing you a VERY Happy Christmas and New Year in your new home!

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I wonder if you replace the word TORONTO instead of Canada in your subject line if you might get some more ideas in that area? Coming from ND, I guess skiing isn't high on your list yet. Plan on spending a day buying warm clothes, lol.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Look at the posting a few slots down from yours, "I am Toronto based. Any help needed Guys and Gals? Its free !!" This fellow might have some suggestions as well.

at9459

May 30, 2009
Pippin said:
I wonder if you replace the word TORONTO instead of Canada in your subject line if you might get some more ideas in that area? Coming from ND, I guess skiing isn't high on your list yet. Plan on spending a day buying warm clothes, lol.
Toronto is the place.
is skiing tough?

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
at9459 said:
Toronto is the place.
is skiing tough?
Pretty tough,you would be luck to learn it before next christmas.

Where Canadian go for Christmas ?
I asked this to my Cad friends :-
Few said they will stay at home
Few said they will shop and dine outside
Few said they will travel home to spend with family
No one said to me they will fly somewhere for vacation on christmas.

This is recession time, who wants to overspend ?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
at9459 said:
I am reaching toronto on 21st Dec and all my relatives are busy for their Holidays,
Where can we go to enjoy the holidays between 24 th -28th.
Any suggestion .
Toronto Getaways
During Winter, by Car...

Hi,
There r plenty of locations, in & around Toronto, to drive-away with family & friends. During winters? - Yes, possible too. But, it's for those who have a penchant for driving - often under harsh conditions. I'm one of them. I pen herewith some of the places I've visited & plan to revisit few of them during this winter-break. And yes - these r the ones which r winter-friendly!:

Niagara-on-the-Lake
This small town is the perfect distance from one of the icons of the natural world - Niagara Falls (which is also, incidentally, the international capital for honeymooners!). While Niagara Falls is always bustling with people, Niagara-on-the-Lake is cozy enough for u to privately enjoy the gorgeous scenery along the Niagara River & “smell the cork” in wine country before heading to the falls as the sun goes down. A trip very much desirable for u & your wife!!!
Drive time: 1hr 45mins

Collingwood (Blue Mountain, Wasaga Beach)
Located on Georgian Bay, Collingwood underwent a major restoration in the late 90s. Today it is popular year-round, with skiing in the winter and hiking, biking, golfing, and boating in the summer. Lovers of the outdoors will especially enjoy the Collingwood area. Things to Do: Skiing, Scenic Caves, Nature Adventures - mind blowing!
Distance/Drive time: 145 km (2hrs. drive approx)

Blue Mountain Resort, Collingwood
“The Blue” is for those who are not made for sitting indoors by the fireplace sipping hot chocolate, or coffee (medium, double-double!). If u like to get right onto the slopes, this resort has a mountain full of them & it caters to all levels of expertise. Not to worry - if u have to stand at the top of the beginners' hill looking down for half an hour... once u make it down that hill, u can relax by the fireplace or in an outdoor Jacuzzi!
Drive time: 2hrs.

Wasaga Beach, Collingwood
It's billed as the world's longest freshwater beach & that's not surprising. The Great Lakes are the largest bodies of freshwater in the world - & there can't be too many larger freshwater beaches elsewhere. Wasaga beach is over 11Kms long (akin to the "7 Mile Beach" in Grand Cayman), so long it's divided into sections A to F; - each section has its own parking & concessions - they need them. Once school holidays begin - the beach is wall-to-wall ppl!!!, particularly the young & restless! If excitement & energy r what you like, this "frozen water-body" is the place to visit, now.
Drive time: 1.5-2hrs.

Quebec City
Wine, cheese & ooh la la!! Quebec City, in the dying rays of the sun, has to be one of the most romantic cities, right up there with Prague and Vienna. Picture this - After a beautiful meal on Rue St-Jean, you walk down Boulevard Champlain (the boardwalk), which is right next to the Saint Lawrence River. In the fading light, you can see the silhouettes of Chateau Frontenac and Notre Dame Basilica, and all this comes complete with a soundtrack provided by a cute old couple sitting on a bench, the man with a guitar and the woman with her soft voice carrying in the wind!!! If u can - pls do make this trip...
Drive time: 8hrs.

Algonquin Park
This is a famed location in Ontario to see/enjoy sunrise & sunsets. Camping & canoeing r the best way to see Algonquin Park (over 2000Kms of canoe routes!), the lakes provide open air & sunshine - unlike from land where close-trees mar the view. And u need some perspective to appreciate the beauty of this landscape, which u can only do from the open spaces provided by the water. A weekend trip, overnight stay, preferably camping, is recommended. There r plenty of motels to book in adv too.
Drive time: 2-3hrs. (280Kms)

Point Pelee
Point Pelee is Canada's most southerly spot on the mainland, lying at 42 degrees & at par to Rome & Barcelona. It's also a renowned conservation area, vital to the migrations of birds and butterflies. The solitude & serenity u find while spending a day, on the trail-deck, is beyond compare. It feels being just nowhere, while wondering what lies ahead... just the horizon, & u r surrounded by water & marshland all around! Uhh, I'm going there once again, for sure!

Sauble Beach
The Lake Huron shoreline of Sauble Beach is where u'll find 11+kms of the softest (white) sand & most pristine waters in Canada (probably the world over). Sounds like paradise? While the beach is the main attraction for many visitors, there r plenty of activities as well as a vibrant shopping scenario here. As evening falls, Sauble Beach offers perfect views of the world's most spectacular sunsets over Lake Huron. Star Gazing in Sauble Beach is an astronomer's dream come true. The lack of urban lighting allow for amazing views of the heavens!
The beautiful sand dunes of Sauble Beach are part of an ecosystem that has evolved over 1000's of years. The dunes provide natural shore protection, and are home to many rare and unique plants & grasses. No wonder it's written all over, "Please respect our beach & use the boardwalks to protect the dunes & plant life".
Drive time: 3hrs. (170Kms approx)(ohh, what a drive!!!)

Talisman Ski Resort
Near Kimberley, in the Beaver Valley, a UNESCO Heritage site - The Talisman offers excellent short-slopes for skiing, snowboarding & tubing. Dogsledding is also available from the resort. There are a good mix of beginner, intermediate & expert runs -- something for all the family. The best part being - it's a kids paradise, yeah, in the winters!

Hidden Valley Highlands, Muskoka
In Muskoka region, near Huntsville (the G-20 meeting took place here), is where you'll find "Hidden Valley Highlands Ski Resort", a smaller retreat with 12 runs and one Terrain Park. There are 3 chair lifts and 1 tow at 'Beginners Hill'. Basically, again a small Ski Resort, which is perfect for the family outing. As well as Hidden Valley, Deerhurst Resort is also nearby. And both resorts provide a range of amenities & events, such as snowmobiling, tobogganing, skating, spas, golfing, hiking etc. A place to visit enmasse - with family & friends AND a bunch of kids!!!
Drive time: 3hrs.

Mont Tremblant, Montreal, Quebec
Though not in the scope of this post, Mont Tremblant (6-7hrs.) is the mother of all destinations, which is a must visit by any & everyone coming to Canada. Definitively called, "the Switzerland of Canada" - it's a perfect & heavenly abode... demanding a weeklong trip along the Ottawa-Gatineu-Montreal-Quebec City corridor. Posting anything here might not justify the "awe-factor" of this beauty, so here's the link Fellas...
http://www.tremblant.ca/index-e.htm

There r many more sights (& sounds too!) - within the vicinity of the GTA, however I restricted myself for not being overboard. There's an older post, of the like, in my Master Thread too - a bit in detail - for many destinations of Canada (not just the GTA).

Happy Holidays at9459!

Qorax

especially our kids (I've two!)

at9459

May 30, 2009
qorax said:
Toronto Getaways
During Winter, by Car...

Hi,
There r plenty of locations, in & around Toronto, to drive-away with family & friends. During winters? - Yes, possible too. But, it's for those who have a penchant for driving - often under harsh conditions. I'm one of them. I pen herewith some of the places I've visited & plan to revisit few of them during this winter-break. And yes - these r the ones which r winter-friendly!:

Niagara-on-the-Lake
This small town is the perfect distance from one of the icons of the natural world - Niagara Falls (which is also, incidentally, the international capital for honeymooners!). While Niagara Falls is always bustling with people, Niagara-on-the-Lake is cozy enough for u to privately enjoy the gorgeous scenery along the Niagara River & “smell the cork” in wine country before heading to the falls as the sun goes down. A trip very much desirable for u & your wife!!!
Drive time: 1hr 45mins

Collingwood (Blue Mountain, Wasaga Beach)
Located on Georgian Bay, Collingwood underwent a major restoration in the late 90s. Today it is popular year-round, with skiing in the winter and hiking, biking, golfing, and boating in the summer. Lovers of the outdoors will especially enjoy the Collingwood area. Things to Do: Skiing, Scenic Caves, Nature Adventures - mind blowing!
Distance/Drive time: 145 km (2hrs. drive approx)

Blue Mountain Resort, Collingwood
“The Blue” is for those who are not made for sitting indoors by the fireplace sipping hot chocolate, or coffee (medium, double-double!). If u like to get right onto the slopes, this resort has a mountain full of them & it caters to all levels of expertise. Not to worry - if u have to stand at the top of the beginners' hill looking down for half an hour... once u make it down that hill, u can relax by the fireplace or in an outdoor Jacuzzi!

Wasaga Beach, Collingwood
It's billed as the world's longest freshwater beach & that's not surprising. The Great Lakes are the largest bodies of freshwater in the world - & there can't be too many larger freshwater beaches elsewhere. Wasaga beach is over 11Kms long (akin to the "7 Mile Beach" in Grand Cayman), so long it's divided into sections A to F; - each section has its own parking & concessions - they need them. Once school holidays begin - the beach is wall-to-wall ppl!!!, particularly the young & restless! If excitement & energy r what you like, this "frozen water-body" is the place to visit, now.
Drive time: 1.5-2hrs.

Quebec City
Wine, cheese & ooh la la!! Quebec City, in the dying rays of the sun, has to be one of the most romantic cities, right up there with Prague and Vienna. Picture this - After a beautiful meal on Rue St-Jean, you walk down Boulevard Champlain (the boardwalk), which is right next to the Saint Lawrence River. In the fading light, you can see the silhouettes of Chateau Frontenac and Notre Dame Basilica, and all this comes complete with a soundtrack provided by a cute old couple sitting on a bench, the man with a guitar and the woman with her soft voice carrying in the wind!!! If u can - pls do make this trip...
Drive time: 8hrs.

Algonquin Park
This is a famed location in Ontario to see/enjoy sunrise & sunsets. Camping & canoeing r the best way to see Algonquin Park (over 2000Kms of canoe routes!), the lakes provide open air & sunshine - unlike from land where close-trees mar the view. And u need some perspective to appreciate the beauty of this landscape, which u can only do from the open spaces provided by the water. A weekend trip, overnight stay, preferably camping, is recommended. There r plenty of motels to book in adv too.
Drive time: 2-3hrs. (280Kms)

Point Pelee
Point Pelee is Canada's most southerly spot on the mainland, lying at 42 degrees & at par to Rome & Barcelona. It's also a renowned conservation area, vital to the migrations of birds and butterflies. The solitude & serenity u find while spending a day, on the trail-deck, is beyond compare. It feels being just nowhere, while wondering what lies ahead... just the horizon, & u r surrounded by water & marshland all around! Uhh, I'm going there once again, for sure!

Sauble Beach
The Lake Huron shoreline of Sauble Beach is where u'll find 11+kms of the softest (white) sand & most pristine waters in Canada (probably the world over). Sounds like paradise? While the beach is the main attraction for many visitors, there r plenty of activities as well as a vibrant shopping scenario here. As evening falls, Sauble Beach offers perfect views of the world's most spectacular sunsets over Lake Huron. Star Gazing in Sauble Beach is an astronomer's dream come true. The lack of urban lighting allow for amazing views of the heavens!
The beautiful sand dunes of Sauble Beach are part of an ecosystem that has evolved over 1000's of years. The dunes provide natural shore protection, and are home to many rare and unique plants & grasses. No wonder it's written all over, "Please respect our beach & use the boardwalks to protect the dunes & plant life".
Drive time: 3hrs. (170Kms approx)(ohh, what a drive!!!)

Talisman Ski Resort
Near Kimberley, in the Beaver Valley, a UNESCO Heritage site - The Talisman offers excellent short-slopes for skiing, snowboarding & tubing. Dogsledding is also available from the resort. There are a good mix of beginner, intermediate & expert runs -- something for all the family. The best part being - it's a kids paradise, yeah, in the winters!

Hidden Valley Highlands, Muskoka
In Muskoka region, near Huntsville (the G-20 meeting took place here), is where you'll find "Hidden Valley Highlands Ski Resort", a smaller retreat with 12 runs and one Terrain Park. There are 3 chair lifts and 1 tow at 'Beginners Hill'. Basically, again a small Ski Resort, which is perfect for the family outing. As well as Hidden Valley, Deerhurst Resort is also nearby. And both resorts provide a range of amenities & events, such as snowmobiling, tobogganing, skating, spas, golfing, hiking etc. A place to visit enmasse - with family & friends AND a bunch of kids!!!
Drive time: 3hrs.

Mont Tremblant, Montreal, Quebec
Though not in the scope of this post, Mont Tremblant (6-7hrs.) is the mother of all destinations, which is a must visit by any & everyone coming to Canada. Definitively called, "the Switzerland of Canada" - it's a perfect & heavenly abode... demanding a weeklong trip along the Ottawa-Gatineu-Montreal-Quebec City corridor. Posting anything here might not justify the "awe-factor" of this beauty, so here's the link Fellas...
http://www.tremblant.ca/index-e.htm

There r many more sights (& sounds too!) - within the vicinity of the GTA, however I restricted myself for not being overboard. There's an older post, of the like, in my Master Thread too - a bit in detail - for many destinations of Canada (not just the GTA).

Happy Holidays at9459!

Qorax

especially our kids (I've two!)
sir jee tussi great ho,
You have given me something to think about!
I had sent you a PM , do reply to it.
would like to meet you if possible.

rhap33

Feb 11, 2009
Thank u so much Qorax,
Those are excellent information, especially for us newcomers who don't know anything yet.
I really appreciate it, and I know my 2 boys really happy with those info.

rhap33