+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to sign and ship the applicaton Oct 11 or Oct 12

Nader.

Apr 16, 2017
@Nader. what you are saying is that it has nothing to do with the dates? So would it be okay if I sign my application on October 10th and send it so it'd be there on Oct 11th?
I'm saying you should be eligible on Oct 10 for the rules that will kick in Oct 11. You can sign your application Oct 11 for new rules (3/5).
Signing on Oct 10, then 4/6 rules will be applied.

Nader.

Apr 16, 2017
I still standby on my comment made earlier post #6 http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/when-to-sign-and-ship-the-applicaton-oct-11-or-oct-12.521070/#post-6405766

Also, as I said no point in arguing with people who do not let go their ignorance, no offence my friend but I am helping you out here.

The guide on CIC website is very clear in simple English. "Note: You must be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship the day before you sign the application form."

Check out the guide again on Oct 11to see if anything is changed when new rules are in effect. Hope it helps :)
Define eligibility?

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
@Nader.

For the sake of simplicity, my freind. Here is a scenario;

You sign and send application on October 11th, 2017.

A Day Before = October 10th, 2017

Question: Are you eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship the day before i.e. October 10th, 2017?

Answer: NO

Why? Becuase on Ocotber 10th, 2017, the applicable law in force requires you to be present 4 out of 6 years.

Reactions: technic

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
@Nader.

Question: Are you eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship the day before i.e. October 10th, 2017?

Why? Becuase on Ocotber 10th, 2017, the applicable law in force requires you to be present 4 out of 6 years.
I see your point, which is exactly what I thought as well when I read the note in the instruction guide. But it seems there are two ways to interpret it.

One is exactly what you said.

Second is, on Oct 11 when you sign and date, a day before i.e. Oct 10, you are eligible under the new law (C6). This note could simply be put in to make sure someone who needs to count Oct 11 (1 day) to satisfy the 1095 day presence requirement applies/signs on Oct 12.

robw

Mar 10, 2014
I just wanna echo razerblade and the others here...it's almost certainly okay to sign and send in the application on the 11th so long as you have 1,095 days of residency as of the 10th. No need to wait for the 12th if you have plenty of buffer days over and above 1,095.

Reactions: capermanet

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
I see your point, which is exactly what I thought as well when I read the note in the instruction guide. But it seems there are two ways to interpret it.

One is exactly what you said.

Second is, on Oct 11 when you sign and date, a day before i.e. Oct 10, you are eligible under the new law (C6). This note could simply be put in to make sure someone who needs to count Oct 11 (1 day) to satisfy the 1095 day presence requirement applies/signs on Oct 12.
Good point, I have same analysis in my mind as well, also this is not a big deal too! It could mean both, but I am more inclined to be 'legally' & 'technically' correct. If a friend or family asks my advise I would be more inclined to tell them to send it on 12th. Why take a risk of slightest mistake?

A small mistake, may cause your application to be returned and in this point in time, this means your place in line will be thrown behind flood of thousands of application. Just my opinion.

Nader.

Apr 16, 2017
@Nader.

When you sign on Oct 11, Oct 11 doesn't count as a day of residence, and it doesn't count in 1095 days.
So, on Oct 11 you will be counted on new C-6 rules, you have to fulfill all requirements of C-6 in the previous day Oct 10, it doesn't mean you have to fulfill 4/6 rules.

Again eligibility are:-

Time you lived in Canada should be1095 days or more as of Oct 10.

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
When you sign on Oct 11, Oct 11 doesn't count as a day of residence, and it doesn't count in 1095 days.
So, on Oct 11 you will be counted on new C-6 rules, you have to fulfill all requirements of C-6 in the previous day Oct 10, it doesn't mean you have to fulfill 4/6 rules.

Again eligibility are:-
Time you lived in Canada should be1095 days or more as of Oct 10.
Thanks. I know already mentioned in post #24, good luck :)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
At the risk of coming across like a stern elementary school teacher trying to corral a pack of sugar-hyped children, but someone needs to say it: patience, patience, my little ones, patience!

Perhaps there has been no comparable poised-at-the-starting-gate-anticipation since the great Oklahoma land rush in the U.S., in 1889.

There was a reason for that rush, it was a first to grab gets the dirt affair, typical American approach one might observe.

In contrast, there is NO reason for lining up at the starting gate to get a 3/5 rule application made. On the contrary, there are many reasons to approach the transition cautiously, patiently, letting others test the new form and presence calculator for example.

While it is obvious that much of the forum whining about IRCC incompetence is exaggerated if not unwarranted, IRCC is a big bureaucracy, one of Canada's biggest bureaucracies. Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does. Bureaucracies tend to not have a great track record in smoothly making big changes. IRCC (CIC) is hardly an exception.

Rush and be the forum's first new rules casualty.

Or exercise some patience. Prudently review the new form, the new presence calculator, and the new instructions. Wait to see that there are no wrinkles in the rollout. Read those new instructions thoroughly and follow them carefully.

In the latter regard, there have been scores and scores of questions asked the last couple days, the answer to which will depend on the actual content in the new application form, and the specific instructions for completing the application. Sure, it is relatively easy to anticipate many, even most changes, but that is NEVER a good substitution for reading and following the actual instructions, including the specific details in the application form items themselves.

For those of you anticipating IRCC will have it all up and running in the early hours of October 11, good luck with that.

Will there be a flood of new applications? A surge? Some increase?

Obviously the number of new applications being made will increase following the changes. The number of those eligible for citizenship will increase by somewhere around a quarter million in just one day. A significant percentage of those newly eligible PRs are very likely to apply in the coming weeks and months.

This has been discussed ad nauseam in the forum. Various forecasts have been proposed. No one really knows much more than that it is highly likely that in the coming months many more applications will be made than the number made during a comparable time period in the last year, and particularly more than in the year prior to that.

IRCC has promised to take measure to accommodate this transition with minimal impact on meeting service objectives, including routine processing time lines. Sure, that is a promise it will be very difficult to keep.

But, as much as it is easy to foresee a significant increase in the number of applications, it is way more difficult to forecast how this will actually impact processing timelines. Some? A little? A lot? For a brief period of time? For months? A year? Longer?

There are many, many reasons to be optimistic about IRCC's capacity to implement and adapt to the changes, including a temporary increase in applications being made. (Within a year, two at the most, the flow of new applications should return to historical norms relative to the number of new immigrants.)

That said, as already noted, recognizing how much bureaucracies tend to stumble a bit at first, when there are big changes, there are probably significantly higher risks of a problem for, say, the first ten or fifteen thousand applications made under new rules.

So, as I already noted, sure, one can rush and be the first in the forum to report being a new rules casualty. Some may enjoy wearing that badge of honour.

Waiting a week to apply is not likely to affect how long the process takes overall. A few thousand more applications in the hopper in the first week is not going to break the bank. My sense is that a month is not likely to have much of an impact on how long it takes to get to the oath.

But no speculation necessary to read through this forum and take account of the carnage wreaked by rushing it. One rushes at their own peril.

Nader.

Apr 16, 2017
@Nader. what you are saying is that it has nothing to do with the dates? So would it be okay if I sign my application on October 10th and send it so it'd be there on Oct 11th?
Yes you can do that, but in this case 4/6 requirements will be applied to you.

I never said anything about signing on Oct 10.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Nader.

Scenarios 1: You sign your application on Oct 10, then on Oct 09 you got to be eligible for 4/6 rule. Then you can sign the application on Oct 10 and send to CIC under old rule on Oct 10.

Scenario 2: You sign your application on Oct 11, then on Oct 10 you got to be eligible for 3/5 rule, instead of assuming to be eligible in 4/6 rule. Because as soon as on Oct 11 new rule is implemented, only new rule is applied and you need NOT to bring old 4/6 rule in your calculations. For simplicity, on any given day, only 1 rule is applicable and as soon as you sign the application on Oct 11 using new form, you got to be eligible on Oct 10 as per the rule applicable on Oct 11 (date you sign application). You will also fill out online Residence calculator. You will definitely be eligible in that online Residence Calculator.

Last edited:

ranac09

Oct 6, 2017
Hi Guys, I qualified today (1461 days) under old rule.
Should i wait till Oct 11 to get a lot of buffer?
or should I just go ahead and apply today?
I know there is no right answer but I'd appreciate your opinion

mreda13

Star Member
Nov 28, 2016
Hi Guys, I qualified today (1461 days) under old rule.
Should i wait till Oct 11 to get a lot of buffer?
or should I just go ahead and apply today?
I know there is no right answer but I'd appreciate your opinion
if you are 100% confident of your physical presence (1461 days), I don't see any reason to postpone sending the application. However, if you want to have a really good buffer, wait for 5 days and apply with a buffer of almost an extra year.