+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to renew PR card

saggi_amy

Feb 19, 2010
Hello Everyone,

My PR card is due to expire in Aug 2014. I am not sure when is a good time to apply for the renewal. I applied for Citizenship in May2012 but was sent a RQ last year and it seems I won't get my citizenship before my PR card expires. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the card renewed once it's applied for.

Thanks in advance.

bangloboy

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That is up to you. But have you not received any notice to do your cit test or checked with CIC on your progress? Things have been moving for everyone and your timeline is similar to a lot whose already gotten citizenship. Pls look at my timeline - I'm similar situation to yours and already am Canadian since last month. Good luck but also update us on if you checked with CIC on the progress of you cit application

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
Hi
If the Documents are complete, renewal PR Card will take about 2 - 3 months
You can apply for renewal 6 months (or less) before expiry. Per your expiry date, you can apply now

saggi_amy

Feb 19, 2010
Thanks a lot everyone!!

As far as the citizenship application goes, I am indeed very disappointed with the way things are progressing. I got a notice to prepare for the exam back in December but nothing after. I have called CIC multiple times in last 2 months and get the same reply each time. "RQ applicants have to wait atleast 36 months so it's too soon for you to ask". I feel frustrated because of this and have now totally given up on the citizenship part. It will come when it has to. I fail to understand what made my case so complicated!! Anyway I guess I have no choice but to renew the PR card :(

Here's my timeline:
Application received - May 3 rd 2012
RQ received - June 2013
RQ completed and sent back - July 2013
Notice to prepare for exam - Dec 2013
Waiting.........................................

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
when did your processing start? it looks like you got a RQ before AOR letter.

Desert Lion

Mar 14, 2014
saggi_amy
I think they will send you the dates of the test soon, I have a friend who almost had the timeline like you and he did not here from them, he is just waiting for his test dates to b determined.

saggi_amy

Feb 19, 2010
Thanks Desert Lion.

Chakrab,
The processing on my file started Dec 2012. My local office is Kitchener.

saggi_amy

Feb 19, 2010
Does anyone know when the 36 months start for the RQ cases? Is it from the date the application was first received or the date the RQ was received?

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
to answer your original question, the renewal could take around 3 months. you should definitely apply for the renewal by end of may.

the 36 months, is supposed to be calculated from the date of application received. however there's no proper fact behind that claim.

bangloboy

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This "routine" and "non-routine" timeline is absolute BS. I think they do some sort if average of timeframes! I was RQed and "non-routine" but my process took 20 months which is considered "routine". So many factors for citizenship including location, situation and ofcourse luck! I wish you the best and I would wait around till the latest date possible (3 months prior to PR card expiry) and then apply just in case your citizenship comes through :)

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
surgi said:
you can apply now it takes 3 months to receive the new one
my experience. Decision was made on my application to renew my pr card within 4 days.....then ...3 weeks to,mail it

esteem

Star Member
Feb 6, 2014
saggi_amy said:
Thanks a lot everyone!!

As far as the citizenship application goes, I am indeed very disappointed with the way things are progressing. I got a notice to prepare for the exam back in December but nothing after. I have called CIC multiple times in last 2 months and get the same reply each time. "RQ applicants have to wait atleast 36 months so it's too soon for you to ask". I feel frustrated because of this and have now totally given up on the citizenship part. It will come when it has to. I fail to understand what made my case so complicated!! Anyway I guess I have no choice but to renew the PR card :(

Here's my timeline:
Application received - May 3 rd 2012
RQ received - June 2013
RQ completed and sent back - July 2013
Notice to prepare for exam - Dec 2013
Waiting.........................................
Hi,
Don't give up. My time line is also similar to you. Got a notice in Dec2013. But i've to wait 3 months to get my test date. 2 weeks back i gave my test at St.clair. You and everyone waiting here will receive the letter soon. Lets pray.