+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to apply for work permit renewal while waiting for PR

arestrepo

Nov 15, 2022
Hello!

I applied for PR in November last year and so far everything seems to be going good. Turned in my police certificate and received confirmation that they received it.
My biometrics are still valid so dont have to do that again.

My problem is with my work permit that runs out in October. When should I apply to renew it ? 3-4 months in advance or the same time it expires?
On the other hand If I receive a confirmation of PR approval (not COPR or PR card) before that, do I still need to renew my work permit?

I appreciate your help

nouveauRP

Star Member
Jan 24, 2023
PR applications are being processed pretty quickly currently so, if I was in your situation, I would wait to apply for work permit renewal. It's likely you will become a PR before your current work permit expires.

If that doesn't happen, when you should apply to renew should depend on if/when you have any travel plans just after your work permit is expiring. You should keep an eye on the processing time for a work permit applied from inside Canada and apply accordingly, i.e., the processing time + a few weeks before the travel date. If not traveling at all, you can apply a few days before the expiration date.

arestrepo

Nov 15, 2022
Thanks for your answer !
I’m not planning on traveling but
I was under the impression that if my permit ran out and my renewed permit and/or pr hasn’t arrived I had to stop working thou

nouveauRP

Star Member
Jan 24, 2023
Not exactly. If you apply for your work permit renewal by midnight UTC on the expiration date of your current work permit, you can legally stay and work under the same conditions as your current work permit until a decision is made on your renewal application. This is called maintained status (previously called implied status). The main restriction in this status is that you're not allowed to leave Canada -- you lose this status and have to stop working as soon as you leave Canada (and have restrictions on coming back to Canada).

More information here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=188&top=17
And here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html