+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to apply for citizenship

ba2323

Nov 5, 2014
I need advice on when to apply for Citizenship, i don't know the process

My husband and I will both qualify to apply for Citizenship in Sept 2018 but i am having my 2nd baby in February 2019 and we all plan to go back to my African country in April 2019 for my Maternity leave till July 2020.
Should we apply right before we leave next year or sometime end of this year?
I wonder if they try to contact me and i am out of the country.

AK84

Aug 11, 2011

My husband and I will both qualify to apply for Citizenship in Sept 2018 but i am having my 2nd baby in February 2019 and we all plan to go back to my African country in April 2019 for my Maternity leave till July 2020.
You can apply in Sep/Oct 2018 and CIC will contact you by email first ....which is going to be your AOR number....its take two months to get your AOR however for citizenship test invite you have to be here for test which probably takes 6 months as of today processing time.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012

Whether you apply in September 2018 or April 2019, you're likely to be out of the country during a critical juncture.

If you apply Sept 2018: You may get a test invite before you leave, depending on which office is processing your application. (You haven't stated where you live.) As you'll be gone for over a year, I'm not sure how long IRCC will hold your application open in order for you to complete the process. Are you willing and able to fly back to take the test or attend an oath ceremony as either would certainly be scheduled while you're away?

If you apply in April 2019: You'd be away during a time when there may be a request such as a fingerprint request can come in the mail and would need to be responded to within 30 days. If you're not able to fly back and forth for test/interview or the oath ceremony, I would suggest waiting until you're back from your trip to apply.

ba2323

Nov 5, 2014
Thanks guys for your helpful replies, those are really good viewpoints,
I am in Ontario and not able to fly back and forth. I think i will apply once i come back from my country, i checked the Presence Calculator and shows i would still qualify to apply even with the amount of time i will be away.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Thanks guys for your helpful replies, those are really good viewpoints,
I am in Ontario and not able to fly back and forth. I think i will apply once i come back from my country, i checked the Presence Calculator and shows i would still qualify to apply even with the amount of time i will be away.
It is a better advice to apply after you return. If you applied before your trip and you returned for test, for example, you run the risk of getting a RQ due to your extended absence during the application process.

Reactions: ba2323

ba2323

Nov 5, 2014
It is a better advice to apply after you return. If you applied before your trip and you returned for test, for example, you run the risk of getting a RQ due to your extended absence during the application process.
Thank you, i will apply when i come back.