+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

when should we buy our plane tickets? one-way or return?

drak

Feb 28, 2011
Hi folks, we are about to send our PR application from Belgium, we are fairly certain everything is in order, and we hope it wont take too long. Our basic plan is to move in September/October to BC. I, as the sponsor and main breadwinner, must move to find a job, and I will buy my one-way plane ticket in the near future.

BUT WHAT SHOULD MY PARTNER APPLYING FOR PR DO? Of course she wants to come with me and not leave, but we cannot be sure if the application will be accepted by then. Should she just buy a one-way ticket with the plan of extending it if the PR application doesnt go through within 6 months? Should she buy a two-way ticket and pretend it is just a visit? Or should she not buy a ticket and stay in Belgium until the PR goes through?

Thanks for the advice my immigrating friends!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

drak said:
Hi folks, we are about to send our PR application from Belgium, we are fairly certain everything is in order, and we hope it wont take too long. Our basic plan is to move in September/October to BC. I, as the sponsor and main breadwinner, must move to find a job, and I will buy my one-way plane ticket in the near future.

BUT WHAT SHOULD MY PARTNER APPLYING FOR PR DO? Of course she wants to come with me and not leave, but we cannot be sure if the application will be accepted by then. Should she just buy a one-way ticket with the plan of extending it if the PR application doesnt go through within 6 months? Should she buy a two-way ticket and pretend it is just a visit? Or should she not buy a ticket and stay in Belgium until the PR goes through?

Thanks for the advice my immigrating friends!
Look at the cost of one-way compared to return, you might find that a return is cheaper, and if you don't use the return you throw it away. Note the processing time from Mississauga is 37 days and then processing time for spousal applications, 80% are processed in 9 months, so it might not be processed in your time frame. So she could come as a visitor, but would have to return if there is an interview required.

suzanne_m

Jan 29, 2010
Edmonton
Visa Office......
CIC Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2009
AOR Received.
29-05-2009
LANDED..........
04-21-2010
My husband bought a return ticket, and wasn't planning on using the return portion. But he was able to use it for credit for another trip that we took together later.

MandiF

Sep 7, 2010
Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2011
LANDED..........
25-02-2011
I had this big decision when I came to Canada just before I got PR, and after loads of stress, I decided to go one way ticket, but then found out it was about £100 cheaper to get a return ticket, so did that instead, although I'm not going to use the return portion.

Also it was good for when I came through Immigration, as my return ticket was for 5 months in the future and so the IO at the secondary interview gave me a visitors stamp for 6 months, which also would have helped get an extension if I hadn't of received my visa by then.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Sometimes, airlines won't even let you check in if you don't have a return ticket.
I learned this the hard way!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some airlines will credit the unused return leg towards another flight.

shorttalk

Star Member
Dec 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2010
AOR Received.
9th dec 2010
File Transfer...
30-11-2010
thats interesting Baloo....have you experienced this and how did you go about it? I did the same have had two return tickets with my two visitor visas. this last return i wont need or use and its non transferrable.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shorttalk said:
thats interesting Baloo....have you experienced this and how did you go about it? I did the same have had two return tickets with my two visitor visas. this last return i wont need or use and its non transferrable.
My tickets are always transferable (don't buy unless they are).
I called Air Canada, they now have my last return leg "held" for use within the next six months.
FWIW I am a star alliance frequent flyer.

shorttalk

Star Member
Dec 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2010
AOR Received.
9th dec 2010
File Transfer...
30-11-2010
i was advised to have a non refundable non transferrable ticket for my return from canada whilst on a visitor visa :-(