+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When is IMM 5604 needed? HELP PLEASEEEE!!!!

NiVish

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
Hello everyone,

I'm very confused if the form IMM 5604 is needed in our case.

Background - My husband is a canadian citizen (Just got his citizenship) and Im a PR living in Canada. I travelled to India few months back to give birth to my son and he is now 4 month old. My husband is still in Canada and we are in the process of applying for my son's PR with my husband as the sponsor. Once we sort immigration out for him, my son and I will be travelling to Canada.

Questions
1. Can I be a co-signer on his application? I hope not since I will not be in Canada when his file is being processed. Please confirm
2. Do we have to submit form IMM 5604 (Declaration from Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian for Minors Immigrating to Canada form) ? I'm getting confused here because I will be accompanying my son to Canada and I'm not sure what to do

Someone pleaseee advice. We are stuck at this step

Thanks In Advance for any input

lenuxii

Star Member
Jan 24, 2023
This complete form guide will give you some understanding for EACH form you'll need and any question you might have:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Just look up the keywords and it should take you there. All the answers I provide here will be in that link.

1. You can’t have a co-signer if you are sponsoring your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner.
2. If sponsoring a dependent child (under the age of 18) and they have another parent who is not immigrating to Canada, the parent/guardian applying from Canada must submit a signed copy of the Declaration From Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian For Minors Immigrating to Canada [IMM 5604] (PDF 609.2 KB). This form must be accompanied by a piece of photo identification from the parent/guardian who is NOT accompanying the minor to Canada. In situations where having this form signed from the other parent is impossible (i.e. parent’s whereabouts unknown), a letter of explanation must be included with the application. An officer will review this explanation and advise you of any next steps.

NiVish

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
This complete form guide will give you some understanding for EACH form you'll need and any question you might have:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Just look up the keywords and it should take you there. All the answers I provide here will be in that link.

1. You can’t have a co-signer if you are sponsoring your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner.
2. If sponsoring a dependent child (under the age of 18) and they have another parent who is not immigrating to Canada, the parent/guardian applying from Canada must submit a signed copy of the Declaration From Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian For Minors Immigrating to Canada [IMM 5604] (PDF 609.2 KB). This form must be accompanied by a piece of photo identification from the parent/guardian who is NOT accompanying the minor to Canada. In situations where having this form signed from the other parent is impossible (i.e. parent’s whereabouts unknown), a letter of explanation must be included with the application. An officer will review this explanation and advise you of any next steps.

@lenuxii Thanks for your reply. I had already gone through the page you've shared plus numerous threads here in CanadaVisa related to IMM 5604. However I have not been able to understand what is needed for me

- Sorry that is not what I was asking. We are making an application to sponsor our dependent child for PR.

Posting the background again

My husband is a canadian citizen (Just got his citizenship) and I'm a PR living in Canada. I travelled to India few months back to give birth to my son and he is now 4 month old. My husband is still in Canada and we are in the process of applying for my son's PR with my husband as the sponsor. Once we sort immigration out for him, my son and I will be travelling to Canada.

Considering this situation, pls let me know if I can co-sign

2. If sponsoring a dependent child (under the age of 18) and they have another parent who is not immigrating to Canada, the parent/guardian applying from Canada must submit a signed copy of the Declaration From Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian For Minors Immigrating to Canada [IMM 5604] (PDF 609.2 KB).

- In my case my husband is the sponsor and I, the mother will be accompanying my son to Canada. So I was thinking this form IMM 5604 is not needed. But I came across this thread https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/imm-5604.479757/ where the person is in a very similar situation as ours but CIC has reached out and asked for IMM 5604 even though the non sponsoring parent was accompanying the child to Canada.

Can you please provide suggestions to my exact situation if you are familiar with it?

TIA

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
@lenuxii Thanks for your reply. I had already gone through the page you've shared plus numerous threads here in CanadaVisa related to IMM 5604. However I have not been able to understand what is needed for me

- Sorry that is not what I was asking. We are making an application to sponsor our dependent child for PR.

Posting the background again

My husband is a canadian citizen (Just got his citizenship) and I'm a PR living in Canada. I travelled to India few months back to give birth to my son and he is now 4 month old. My husband is still in Canada and we are in the process of applying for my son's PR with my husband as the sponsor. Once we sort immigration out for him, my son and I will be travelling to Canada.

Considering this situation, pls let me know if I can co-sign

2. If sponsoring a dependent child (under the age of 18) and they have another parent who is not immigrating to Canada, the parent/guardian applying from Canada must submit a signed copy of the Declaration From Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian For Minors Immigrating to Canada [IMM 5604] (PDF 609.2 KB).

- In my case my husband is the sponsor and I, the mother will be accompanying my son to Canada. So I was thinking this form IMM 5604 is not needed. But I came across this thread https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/imm-5604.479757/ where the person is in a very similar situation as ours but CIC has reached out and asked for IMM 5604 even though the non sponsoring parent was accompanying the child to Canada.

Can you please provide suggestions to my exact situation if you are familiar with it?

TIA
There is no need for the other parent to co-sign. It won't help, and because you are a PR not in Canada, you can't co-sign anyway.

-There is no harm in doing the 'use of representative' form and may avoid a minor bureaucratic hassle. The citizen-sponsor is better as the rep.

-While technically the non-accompanying parent form should not be needed, I would suggest you sign and include it anyway. IRCC itself doesn't seem to consistently give correct answers nad sometimes they ask for it. So include it (add a letter of explanation if you like) and that way there will be no doubt that both parents 'consent.'

Reactions: NiVish

NiVish

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
There is no need for the other parent to co-sign. It won't help, and because you are a PR not in Canada, you can't co-sign anyway.

-There is no harm in doing the 'use of representative' form and may avoid a minor bureaucratic hassle. The citizen-sponsor is better as the rep.

-While technically the non-accompanying parent form should not be needed, I would suggest you sign and include it anyway. IRCC itself doesn't seem to consistently give correct answers nad sometimes they ask for it. So include it (add a letter of explanation if you like) and that way there will be no doubt that both parents 'consent.'
Thanks so much... Straightforward answers. Appreciate it :)

skamya

Aug 31, 2016
Thanks so much... Straightforward answers. Appreciate it :)
I am in similar situation. My son PR application returned 3 times. I need your help on it. Can you please call me at 1+4319974428.
Regards
Srinivas

DanLato

Mar 25, 2023
Hello, I have a similar situation. I am doing my PGWP and I am a single mom and never married. I am preparing my daughter's documents and I would like to know if I should do this 5604e format again so that my daughter can extend her primary study permit. The Pope signed this document from the beginning of our visa application. My daughter and I are in Canada. My daughter's father in Colombia. So I have to make this document notarized again with my daughter's father or with the previous one from the first application, does it work?

I have another question, the formats ask me for these additional documents Custody documents and parent conset letter, what documents or what formats are they? can i use this 5604e