+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When is background check done? Before or after medicals?

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
Hi,
I was just wondering when the visa office will do the background check? Is that BEFORE medicals are requsted or AFTER that?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

quote author=wpc71 link=topic=30229.msg179952#msg179952 date=1260209343]
Hi,
I was just wondering when the visa office will do the background check? Is that BEFORE medicals are requsted or AFTER that?
[/quote]

1. They start as soon as the application is approved. The CIC/CHC will determine how long they may take, before they send the medical request. As they don't want the medical to expire before the bg are complete.

PMM

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
1. They start as soon as the application is approved. The CIC/CHC will determine how long they may take, before they send the medical request. As they don't want the medical to expire before the bg are complete.
Thanks PMM
Can that be a reason for some applicants there is no progress for a long time? I mean before medical request?

S.K

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
05-08-2011
PMM said:
They start as soon as the application is approved. The CIC/CHC will determine how long they may take, before they send the medical request. As they don't want the medical to expire before the bg are complete
PMM
Our medical date is March 11, 2009 which is going to expire on March 11, 2010, if they complete background check before medical then why are they delaying the case even after completion of medical?

I sent an e.mail inquiry to visa office and they said "We are conducting routine check and cannot give you a definite time when these checks will be completed. However we are making every effort to finalize your application in a timely manner:
New medicals for you and your family, if required, will be issued in due course.

So it means these checks are conducted even after the medical

kali

Star Member
Oct 22, 2009
It seems in most cases seems, back ground check is done before medical while in some cases in CIC officer mode......no hard and fast rule..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

S.K said:
Our medical date is March 11, 2009 which is going to expire on March 11, 2010, if they complete background check before medical then why are they delaying the case even after completion of medical?

I sent an e.mail inquiry to visa office and they said "We are conducting routine check and cannot give you a definite time when these checks will be completed. However we are making every effort to finalize your application in a timely manner:
New medicals for you and your family, if required, will be issued in due course.

So it means these checks are conducted even after the medical

Yes, that is what I said, the background checks are started, and it is an educated guess how long they will take. What the officer sending out the medicals wants is the medical to be completed about the same time as the background checks so when the visa is issued there is sufficient time to "land" without having a new medical. But nothing is perfect. CIC/CHC can't control how long CSIS is going to take for the security check, or if the background check re: employment and education takes longer than expected. It "ain't" a perfect world out there.

PMM

Alexander13

Nov 9, 2009
Hi guys! Do you know what a background check is itself? What do they check? They google your name and see what would come up? Or they check authenticity of the documents you provide? Or what? Thanks for your thoughts.

Gregor

Star Member
May 28, 2009
Guys,
There are two checks carried out by CIC
First is background check and it is carried out before the medicals are issued
Once medicals are received and are ok CIC do security check.
And this is where the problem is, as this check is not carried out by CIC but by Canadian intelligence and security agencies. As they depend on other agencies in order to verify certain information it may take a while before CIC receives all the information.
Please read this thread for some more information http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499467
Regards,
Gregor

MarkCan

Oct 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April/May 2011
Background check can continue till you get your PR. There is no hard and fast rule regarding the same. Also, it is not something that anyone should worry about unless he/she has something to hide. Think of it as a back end process that keeps going until you are handed your PR.

Mark

Biblo

Star Member
Jun 1, 2009
Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-Jul-2008
Doc's Request.
01- Dec - 2008
IELTS Request
01- Dec - 2008
Although we understand that there is no hard and fast rule, but then the Minister himself announce in front of their board and in newsflash that all the applicants are processed in 8-12 months, while in reality applicants like me are sill waiting for more than 18 months since we applied under new rule.

So don't you think that the new system may get jeopardized if the BC and SC are taking as long as they were prior to 2008 rules?

Its like changing the new tires but not the engine to speed up.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Biblo said:
Although we understand that there is no hard and fast rule, but then the Minister himself announce in front of their board and in newsflash that all the applicants are processed in 8-12 months, while in reality applicants like me are sill waiting for more than 18 months since we applied under new rule.

So don't you think that the new system may get jeopardized if the BC and SC are taking as long as they were prior to 2008 rules?

Its like changing the new tires but not the engine to speed up.
Hard to believe 18 months, since the new system has only been in place for a little over 1 year.

PMM

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

Hard to believe 18 months, since the new system has only been in place for a little over 1 year.

PMM

If he applied on March 2008, he still falls under the new rules even though the new ministrial instructions were not announced till Nov 2008, so from march 2008 to Dec 2009 is 21 months. so he still has a point.

Biblo

Star Member
Jun 1, 2009
Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-Jul-2008
Doc's Request.
01- Dec - 2008
IELTS Request
01- Dec - 2008
I applied in June 2008 and receive AOR in September. My case is in the process since Sep 2008.

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
My summary of the discussion here is that, we really do not know if background checks are done before or after medical request! Do you agree?