+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When does processing time start? Once we submit our application, or once biometrics are submitted?

FirassKJ

Jan 12, 2023
Hi there!

so, I applied for a study permit on May 30th, 2023. IRCC Processing time is 6 weeks. I expected a result on July 12th, but nothing came up.

My lawyer submitted the application for me, and told me that I should expect a result early July. A week after application submission, he requested my biometrics submission, which I had submitted on June 25th..

I am googling now, and found that processing time starts after biometrics submission

Is that correct!? My lawyer never told me that, and that is why I stalled in my biometrics submission.

This is from IRCC:

When does my processing time start?
Your processing time starts the day we receive your complete application and ends when we make a decision.
If you apply by mail, the processing time starts when your application arrives in our mailroom.
If you apply online or in-person, it starts when you submit your application.

FirassKJ

Jan 12, 2023
It begins when you submit your application online, but the time it takes to submit biometrics is not part of the ‘processing time’
thanks!

so I should be counting from the day of my online application submission, correct?

DevSB

Mar 27, 2021
Yes. The processing time they indicate includes every country, so I would be patient if I don't hear back on the 6-week mark

Reactions: FirassKJ

FirassKJ

Jan 12, 2023
Yes. The processing time they indicate includes every country, so I would be patient if I don't hear back on the 6-week mark
Thanks!

ngl, I am just worried that I won’t make it on time.

My university does not allow semester deferrals, and that I would have to commence on September 2024 If I dont catch up for this year.
I am assuming it will be issued on August 1-10th perhaps.. now, there is the Visa sticker thing, I heard it takes 2-3 weeks.

do you think it could take >1 month?

6th week coincide with 12th of July. I am trying to be patient.

DevSB

Mar 27, 2021
I suspect it depends on the country you are in. If you're not able to make it in time for the start of classes, I think the university may allow you to begin a week or two late? Again depends on whether lectures are recorded et cetera.

You should speak to your department and ask them what your options are if you do not wish to defer to next fall.

Reactions: FirassKJ

FirassKJ

Jan 12, 2023
I suspect it depends on the country you are in. If you're not able to make it in time for the start of classes, I think the university may allow you to begin a week or two late? Again depends on whether lectures are recorded et cetera.

You should speak to your department and ask them what your options are if you do not wish to defer to next fall.
Understood.

Thanks a lot! :)