+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When can a Permanent Resident sponsor their dependent child?

suga

Star Member
Dec 4, 2018
App. Filed.......
28-11-2018
How soon after landing may a permanent resident sponsor their own dependent child?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
How soon after landing may a permanent resident sponsor their own dependent child?
Why isn't the child in the PR application already?

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
Why isn't the child in the PR application already?
They were probably listed as non accompanying. No one said they werent included

Reactions: laport2018 and suga

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Given that you haven't even landed yet, save yourself a lot of work/time/trouble and just change the child to accompanying now.

Reactions: kcward7

suga

Star Member
Dec 4, 2018
App. Filed.......
28-11-2018
The application was inland and the child is outland. It was our understanding that the child could not be accompanying as they are not in Canada. We have reached Decision made so i would assume too late to add the child now. We are ok with submitting an application now if we are able to. We need some time to have the other parent sign the forms and have it mailed to us. Last correspondence by mail was sent in April and we have yet to receive it in Canada, so it takes spme time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The application was inland and the child is outland. It was our understanding that the child could not be accompanying as they are not in Canada. We have reached Decision made so i would assume too late to add the child now. We are ok with submitting an application now if we are able to. We need some time to have the other parent sign the forms and have it mailed to us. Last correspondence by mail was sent in April and we have yet to receive it in Canada, so it takes spme time.
Your understanding was incorrect. The child could have been included as accompanying from the beginning.

Your assumption is incorrect. You can change the child to accompanying up to any point before you land as a PR.

suga

Star Member
Dec 4, 2018
App. Filed.......
28-11-2018
Your understanding was incorrect. The child could have been included as accompanying from the beginning.

Your assumption is incorrect. You can change the child to accompanying up to any point before you land as a PR.
How may i do that? What procedure do i take?

suga

Star Member
Dec 4, 2018
App. Filed.......
28-11-2018
Also, at this point, what difference would it make? PA is about to receive COPR. We could then start the process for our child. And if needed, PA could return to.home country to deal with any forms/bring child to Canada. If PA has not landed, PA cannot reenter Canada to do these things.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
How may i do that? What procedure do i take?
Send a Webform.

Also, at this point, what difference would it make? PA is about to receive COPR. We could then start the process for our child. And if needed, PA could return to.home country to deal with any forms/bring child to Canada. If PA has not landed, PA cannot reenter Canada to do these things.
Further separation. PRs are required to live in Canada for the entire sponsorship process, which could take up to a year. A few short visits are allowed but anything more risks the app.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You're going to save a year if you add the child right now. Also, family sponsorship is different from Express Entry (assuming you went through EE), and you'll have to figure out the new process.

It's not impossible, but you're just adding delay and complexity. Much easier to add the child right now, before landing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Child sponsorship is usually 5-10 months if you decide to go that way. Up to you. Perhaps the spouse needs PR as soon as possible. You have 3 options. Decide what is best for your family.

cantthinkofaname

Star Member
May 18, 2018
What about the tax assessment requirement to be a sponsor?

My wife and I applied Outland and checked the “Canadian living outside Canada” box.

We had to jump through several hoops to prove intent to reside in Canada, and in the end we were successful.

My wife has a child from a previous relationship that we did include on her PR application as non accompanying. We didn’t plan to move to Canada so soon, but unforeseen circumstances made us change the plan.

She’s a PR now and working, and I am back in Canada and also working, but our tax situation is a mess due to my being overseas for the better part of a decade.

Long story short, we don’t have any assessment yet.

Do we need to wait for one before applying to bring her child over?