+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

when applying for citizenship, Identification question?

Scottpark77

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
  • permanent resident card (PR card)
    • A PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government.
so, if I am applying for myself, does 1passport picture and 1 PRcard (front and back) suffice the request?
I am not so sure why they added, "if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the canadian government:.PR card is always issued by Canadian government isnt it ??

Also, for the language requirement, would it be good enough to photocopy my degree (in Canadian University)??

For tax, during my international student years, was I "REQUIRED" to file income taxes?

for my international years, I have used HR Block to file my T2202 taxes (education fee), I am not sure if they filed my income or not..

would it be safer to just check all the required to file into yes since I filed them?

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
  • permanent resident card (PR card)
    • A PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government.
so, if I am applying for myself, does 1passport picture and 1 PRcard (front and back) suffice the request?
I am not so sure why they added, "if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the canadian government:.PR card is always issued by Canadian government isnt it ??

Also, for the language requirement, would it be good enough to photocopy my degree (in Canadian University)??

For tax, during my international student years, was I "REQUIRED" to file income taxes?

for my international years, I have used HR Block to file my T2202 taxes (education fee), I am not sure if they filed my income or not..

would it be safer to just check all the required to file into yes since I filed them?
You are supposed to submit 2 pieces of ID.

What you can submit :

1. DL + PR card
2. Health Card + PR Card
3. Foreign Passport + DL
4. Foreign Passport + Health Card
5. DL + Health Card

What you CANNOT submit:

1. Foreign Passport + PR card, for example

You can show PR card as one of the ID documents but if you do that, the second piece of ID MUST be issued by the Canadian government. That's what they mean.

For language proof, your Canadian degree should suffice. If you have transcripts, I'd add them as well.

About the tax, only CRA can tell you that. If in doubt call CRA and ask them. Also, if in doubt and you aren't able to reach CRA, then assume you were required to file. Better safe than sorry.