+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What's the risk if applying for temporary work permit and PR at the same time???

binshuo20

May 4, 2016
Got ITA from last draw at 472. I've also got a job offer last month and now the employer hired a immigration vendor to handle the work permit stuff. Both the immigration vendor and my immigration representative suggest me not apply the two visas at the same time because work permit might be rejected because of the intent to stay in Canada permanently rather than temporarily as the visa allows. On the other hand, if the work permit is rejected, there's a record of refusal on my immigration history, which may hinder the process for PR application.

What's the risk here? Has anyone encountered this kind of situations before? I'm so conflicted right now, please give me some information so that I can make a well-informed decision.

binshuo20

May 4, 2016
ButterflyChemist said:
There is no risk. People do this all the time.
Are you sure about this? I'm not questioning about your credibility. It's just that I'm so worried right now. Is there some study case out there in the forum or on the Internet to draw experience from?

There's too much uncertainty during the process. Upcoming changing in the CRS, potential more Americans who are native speakers coming to Canada, Mexicans and Muslims escaping from the States after the election. I don't really want to withdraw my EE profile as I'm afraid that I might not be eligible again later. But I also don't want to give up the job offer unless it's absolutely necessary because I don't have a lot of savings and I don't want to spend months seeking jobs after landing.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
ButterflyChemist said:
There is no risk. People do this all the time.
I came to Canada as a student. I told them I was dual intent when I got my permit at the border.
While a student, I got a LMIA work permit. I told them I was dual intent when I got my permit at the border.
When I landed, I brought my work permit, my study permit, and my CoPR.

The rules specifically permit dual intent (it's in the enforcement manual). They disallow fraud. So, if you are not a genuine student, and are just coming to spend time in Canada (for example), that's not permitted. Likewise, if you come on a work permit for the points, but are not actually going to work for the job, that's not permitted either.

A LMIA work permit is intended to give you 600 points towards PR. If they had a problem with work permits being used by people seeking PR, they wouldn't do that - it would be silly.