+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Whats the process like after you apply for MSP in BC?

ec6863

Oct 6, 2017
I am new to all this like many others and I just want to know what to and what not to expect while waiting for coverage.

Essentially, I applied for coverage in July, me and my family should be covered starting Oct. 1st. in between those 3 months, what should happen? I went to ICBC and had my picture taken and I was given a temporary card, that was a month ago and so far I have not heard a word. I'm I missing something?

Thank you all for the replies

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You wait and you regular card will show up in the mail. The wait periods were put in place for citizens, PRs, etc returning to Canada, especially in the larger provinces with high immigration, to try to prevent returning to Canada for medical treatment without actually planning on returning to Canada on a permanent basis. Would get ready to wait when dealing with the health care system. Veery thankful for it but there is often waiting where you won't hear anything for a while.

ec6863

Oct 6, 2017
You wait and you regular card will show up in the mail. The wait periods were put in place for citizens, PRs, etc returning to Canada, especially in the larger provinces with high immigration, to try to prevent returning to Canada for medical treatment without actually planning on returning to Canada on a permanent basis. Would get ready to wait when dealing with the health care system. Veery thankful for it but there is often waiting where you won't hear anything for a while.
Do you know how long it takes to receive the card? Is there like an email confirmation? This is what I am wondering

andrew999929

Star Member
Jul 30, 2018
Hi guys. I landed in June 2018 and was told by a friend not to apply for the health card until after 3 months. Have I been misinformed?