+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What's the procedure with Spouse in Express Entry?

hotmidhun

Mar 23, 2015
Bengaluru
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have my IELTS test done and is in the process of getting academic transcripts from my past educational institutions for WES assessment. I have a wife and an eight month old son.

My question is:

While I show that I have a spouse and a kid, I am not planning to take them immediately to Canada upon receipt of my PR. I understand that I have the option of sponsoring them later or probably within a year of getting the PR for myself. In this case, do I need to ask my wife to take the IELTS test now, and do I need to get the WES assessment done for her as well?

Thanks

Midhun

hamidur

Sep 2, 2014
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
0131 (EE Point 438)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2015
hotmidhun said:
I have my IELTS test done and is in the process of getting academic transcripts from my past educational institutions for WES assessment. I have a wife and an eight month old son.

My question is:

While I show that I have a spouse and a kid, I am not planning to take them immediately to Canada upon receipt of my PR. I understand that I have the option of sponsoring them later or probably within a year of getting the PR for myself. In this case, do I need to ask my wife to take the IELTS test now, and do I need to get the WES assessment done for her as well?

Thanks

Midhun
If you want to claim points from your spouse, you need to provide IELTS and ECA reports of her.. it is better to include spouse in your application, otherwise it will be difficult and time consuming to get PR separately for your spouse and kids in future

AgentC

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
hamidur said:
If you want to claim points from your spouse, you need to provide IELTS and ECA reports of her.. it is better to include spouse in your application, otherwise it will be difficult and time consuming to get PR separately for your spouse and kids in future
A genuine question.. whats your research/views on how long does it take to sponsor wife/children after one gets his own PR?
Guess what.. CIC rule says it is max 4 months.. yesterday also I came across a post in some other thread where a gentleman mentioned that nowadays it takes close to 2 years.. completely wrong information..

@hotmidhun: I have similar case as yours and I am not applying even for PR for my wife (let alone IELTS/ECA.. ). Its always safe to get your spouse/children to Canada only after you are comfortably settled

hotmidhun

Mar 23, 2015
Bengaluru
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to add to the question posted by @AgentC, do we need to explicitly apply for a PR for the wife and kid?

I thought we would need to show the marital status and kids to avoid misrepresentation even if only the principal applicant is planning to land initially, and that the proof of funds should be equivalent to the family size indicated in the application irrespective of whom all is landing first. Wouldn't it mean that while the principal applicant get his PR, the wife and kid are automatically eligible to come to Canada (provided the Embassy fees and landing fees are paid for them as well along with the principal applicant)?

Please let me know if my understanding on this is not correct. If so, is there a provision to apply for PR separately for them?

Thanks
Midhun

AgentC

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
hotmidhun said:
Just to add to the question posted by @ AgentC, do we need to explicitly apply for a PR for the wife and kid?

I thought we would need to show the marital status and kids to avoid misrepresentation even if only the principal applicant is planning to land initially, and that the proof of funds should be equivalent to the family size indicated in the application irrespective of whom all is landing first. Wouldn't it mean that while the principal applicant get his PR, the wife and kid are automatically eligible to come to Canada (provided the Embassy fees and landing fees are paid for them as well along with the principal applicant)?

Please let me know if my understanding on this is not correct. If so, is there a provision to apply for PR separately for them?

Thanks
Midhun
While creating EE profile, you will be asked if you are married. Select 'Yes' there. Next question asks if your spouse will accompany you to Canada. Select 'No' there. By selecting 'No' in the second question, you are telling CIC not to process her PR as of now. So, PR processing fees will be charged only for you. Also as the spouse is not travelling with you, required fund will also reduce.

To get PR later on for your wife, you need to sponsor her for immigration to Canada under family class. That application, as per CIC norms, needs to be processed in 4 months time frame (practically it takes even lesser than that)

hotmidhun

Mar 23, 2015
Bengaluru
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks @AgentC for the clarity.

Is there a time frame that has to be passed before we can sponsor them?

There are 2 reasons why I would want to sponsor them later, and not along with me:

1. The proof of funds would come down substantially.
2. The risk of initial settlement is much lesser as an acting bachelor than with a family.

However, if there is a longer period mandated by CIC after which only we could sponsor the family under family class, then, maybe it's not worth it. If this is the case, I could apply for PR together, and make them land in Canada once I have settled there for the initial few months.

Thanks