+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to do next when I have POE letter & TRV for Spousal Open work permit for Canada

reenuhaa

Mar 29, 2024
My husband is on H1B and working in USA and I am on H4. He applied for open work permit , got TRV& POE Introduction letter. Following him, I applied for Spousal Open Work Permit ( under his category) , got TRV& POE Introduction letter. Now plan is he will continue to work in USA until I get a job in Canada .. Questions are

1. Should I and my husband travel together to get my OWP stamped at POE? Should my husband also need to get his OWP stamped(though he is planning to continue working in USA) for me to get my OWP stamped?
2. Can we immediately return to USA and I do my job search from here while my spouse working in USA with his H1B ?

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
1. Typically what determines is the conditions on your WP. If it is open for both, both can enter and leave as they want. It is very common for one spouse on SOWP to not have job. There is no hard requirement for someone to live in Canada. Unless they put specific requirement and conditions on your WP.

2. I believe so, but you will need to check your respective WPs for real conditions.

I believe you should get your WPs. unless @syclla has different opinon.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
This all being said and done... Do know, each time you enter Canada... from anywhere... on any authorization (Work, Study, whatever) or any visa, you ... run a risk. A very very very minuscule but non zero risk. Risk of being denied entry, a risk of being construed as a "non genuine" temporary resident, a risk of being found as someone who is here to live in contrary to the conditions of the authorization, a risk of being mistaken for someone ... else.

So.... It is always better to avoid multiple interaction with border protection, if possible. Most time, you do not have any recourse. You need to damn leave Canada and then enter Canada. But yes, if you can avoid multiple interaction with border protection and IRCC, thats for best.

That being said..... If Canada is like a second option, there is much little to be lost here. So yeah, enter and leave the nation as needed.