+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what to do about "personal effects" if NOT leaving country to land? B4 form?

bonacker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Eastern Long Island, New York
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June, 2012
File Transfer...
August, 2012
Med's Done....
March, 2012
Hi y'all,

Instead of leaving the country to land, on Wednesday morning, I have my "landing" appointment in Halifax. (I've been in-country on a visitor's visa.)

What do I do about my "personal effects" (that are back home in the States and will need to be brought into the country at a later date)?

Do I bring the B4 form with me to the appointment??

Or is there some other form, for people who aren't landing in the conventional way?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE INCREDIBLE HELP ALONG THE WAY, EVERYONE!!!!

bonacker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June, 2012
File Transfer...
August, 2012
Med's Done....
March, 2012
Anyone had any experience with "local" landing, in-country, via appointment?

Anyone, anyone? ;D

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

bonacker said:
Anyone had any experience with "local" landing, in-country, via appointment?

Anyone, anyone? ;D
After you "land" you can just list your items on the B4 and have it stamped when you re-enter Canada with the goods, or take it to the local CBSA/CRA office inland and have them stamp it.

Aroundtown22

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-09-2010
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
14-10-2010
Med's Request
25-10-2010
Med's Done....
15-08-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2010
"Before you arrive, you should prepare two copies of a list (preferably typed) of all the goods you intend to bring into Canada as settler’s effects, showing the value, make, model and serial number, if the item has one. Divide the list into two sections: the goods you are bringing with you and the goods to follow.

Present this list to the border services officer on your first point of arrival in Canada, even if you are not bringing in any goods at that time."

To me, it sounds like they'd like to you bring the form but just have a list of things you intend to bring over at a later date.

bonacker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June, 2012
File Transfer...
August, 2012
Med's Done....
March, 2012
AroundTown: Those are the instructions for people landing at the border, landing in the traditional manner, coming from abroad to enter Canada. I'm not "landing," I'm faux-landing by using the newer process of having an in-country landing appointment at my local CIC office in Halifax. As far as I can tell, either there aren't any published instructions for "personal effects" or "goods to follow" for Outland-process people in my position . . . or I just haven't found them yet.

Aroundtown22

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-09-2010
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
14-10-2010
Med's Request
25-10-2010
Med's Done....
15-08-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2010
I know those instructions are for border crossings, but in my mind I was treating them the same from the goods perspective. We're probably going to be doing the same thing as you - just need to get the appt scheduled and we'll be bringing a list of things we intend to import at a later date. We'll ask what to do when we're there. In my eyes, the purpose of this is to declare what you're going to be bringing over when you "land" so that it becomes duty exempt. If you don't declare it at the right time, you lose the duty exempt status of your goods. I could be wrong on that though.

bonacker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June, 2012
File Transfer...
August, 2012
Med's Done....
March, 2012
Thanks, I kind of had the same thought, actually. ;D But then I think there is kind of a big difference between the two types of landing: There won't be a customs agent at the Halifax CIC office. Just the CIC worker (I don't even think it's technically a border agent). So I can't actually declare anything, or present anything to customs at this appointment, actually. It's a bit weird that the guidelines are so hard to find. . . .

Aroundtown22

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-09-2010
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
14-10-2010
Med's Request
25-10-2010
Med's Done....
15-08-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2010
Yeah it is a little frustrating, but as far as the goods issue goes, we're going to play it safe and have the list ready for stamping even if they don't want it. I would hate to miss that chance and then be forced to pay duty on my spouses goods that we'll bring over another time! (luckily she has everything listed alread)