+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to answer to immigration officer at the border

carmenlau

Nov 7, 2017
Hello, a little of my background story.

I am from Malaysia and I have a multiple entry Visa to Canada. On October 2017, I travelled to Vancouver for 20days to visit my boyfriend and other friends. At the border during my entry, the officer asked me of my purpose and I told him to visit my friends which I met through online games (which is true) and he let me passed.

Now that we are engaged, my fiancée will come to Malaysia in Feb 2018 and staying here for a month then we will travel back to Canada in March 2018.

This time I will be staying until May 30th 2018 then back to Malaysia for about 2 months to settle some stuff before going back to Canada in August 2018 for our wedding.

For this time that I am going to enter in March 2018, what should I tell the officer at the border of my purpose of stay?

Should I just say that I am here visiting friends again or just to travel ? But I will be staying for about 80+ days. Is it weird that I am here to travel for few months ?

Any suggestion or advise for me?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Whenever at the border, answer them truthfully. If you are visiting your fiancee, tell them that.

The fact that you are engaged and getting married to a Canadian doesn't prevent you from coming to Canada as visitor, as long as you show ties to your home country and will leave when visitor status runs out. If you show up at the border with signs that you are not leaving and are lying to the officer, that could cause instant refusal and possibly more trouble in the future.

When you become eligible, you can apply for spousal sponsorship, which by itself also has no effect on being able to come to Canada as visitor while PR is in progress.

Reactions: carmenlau

carmenlau

Nov 7, 2017
Whenever at the border, answer them truthfully. If you are visiting your fiancee, tell them that.

The fact that you are engaged and getting married to a Canadian doesn't prevent you from coming to Canada as visitor, as long as you show ties to your home country and will leave when visitor status runs out. If you show up at the border with signs that you are not leaving and are lying to the officer, that could cause instant refusal and possibly more trouble in the future.

When you become eligible, you can apply for spousal sponsorship, which by itself also has no effect on being able to come to Canada as visitor while PR is in progress.
We r applying in September 2018 and I understand that it takes 12-18 months.
My multiple entry visa expires one month before my passport expires. But a passport need to be renew 6 months before the actual expiry date.

Inland Sponsorship submission : September 2018
Multiple Entry Visa expires : September 2020
Passport expires : October 2020
Month that should renew passport : April 2020

I’m wondering do I need to depend on my visitor visa to be able to stay in Canada?
Or once i started my application, I can stay without worrying about the visitor visa expiry?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Every time you enter Canada CBSA has the right to tell you how long you are allowed to stay in Canada or refuse your entry. As specified before when you come 2018 make sure you only bring enough stuff to appear as a visitor. You can return to Malaysia after your have PR to get your stuff. You may also asked about your current job and living situation in 2018 especially since you are planning on visiting Canada for long stretches of time that are usually not compatible with full-time employment.

carmenlau

Nov 7, 2017
Every time you enter Canada CBSA has the right to tell you how long you are allowed to stay in Canada or refuse your entry. As specified before when you come 2018 make sure you only bring enough stuff to appear as a visitor. You can return to Malaysia after your have PR to get your stuff. You may also asked about your current job and living situation in 2018 especially since you are planning on visiting Canada for long stretches of time that are usually not compatible with full-time employment.
This trip im going on March 2018, i have return ticket bought at end of May 2018. I can just tell them that i am really there for visit and i will leave as the date of my return ticket.

Or should i have my fiancee to write a letter for me to show them that he invited me over to plan for our wedding that is happening in August?

Are there chances they might shorten my trip ?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Depending what they find out, they can either say its all ok, or issue you visitor record and limit your stay to the end of May. A return ticket is a good prove to CBSA people that you will leave Canada after intended stay.