+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What should I do while I'm out of RO?

mombee

Dec 22, 2013
While I will be staying in Canada for meet a RO ( 2 years), how can I travel and come back to Canada without PR card /out of RO? ( for emergency;family member's sick/death, etc.)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
mombee said:
While I will be staying in Canada for meet a RO ( 2 years), how can I travel and come back to Canada without PR card /out of RO? ( for emergency;family member's sick/death, etc.)
Assuming that you are not the holder of a visa-exempt passport, your options are
1) Apply to the local Canadian Embassy for a Travel Document before you return.
2) Sneak across the land border with the USA.
3) Don't travel for ANY reason.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Preferably, you don't travel at all.

It is a gift of good luck if you are able to enter Canada while not meeting the RO without getting reported.

Even if you are visa exempt or have a valid PR card, any time you travel and return while not meeting the RO, you take a risk that you will get reported.

If you are not visa exempt and your PR card is expired, you would only have the option of returning via the US land border or by applying for a travel document from a Canadian embassy.

If you don't meet the RO, the Canadian embassy will not give you a travel document, unless you have solid H&C grounds why you have not been able to meet the RO. Such as taking care of a dying relative or something like that. Possibly your own serious medical problem. Financial problems, job reasons, education reasons etc. would not be accepted. If you apply for a travel document and they refuse it, you would lose your PR.

mombee

Dec 22, 2013
Thank you, Zardoz & Leon for your reply.

I have questions for Leon.
What is visa exempt?
What is H&C grounds?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
mombee said:
Thank you, Zardoz & Leon for your reply.

I have questions for Leon.
What is visa exempt?
What is H&C grounds?
"Visa exempt" - means you have a passport from a country that does not need a visa to enter Canada
"H&C" - I think it stands for Humanitarian & Compassionate (not sure). Basically it means that you are given an exemption if the reason for you absence is for extreme family emergency cases like what Leon mentioned (taking care of a very ill relative, etc).