Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I am a Canadian, born in Canada. My husband is Nigerian. We met in Asia in 2001, where we were both living. I was his girlfriend from 2001 to 2004, in Asia. He then went back to Nigeria. I went back to Canada in 2005 to look after my parents (both are suffering from dementia). We spoke to each other a lot on the phone from 2005 to 2007, but did not see each other - he was refused a visitor visa to Canada two times, and I could not leave my parents. My mom got much sicker and had to go into a nursing home in 2007, so I was able to leave Canada for a short time. I went to Nigeria then and we got married. I visited him in Nigeria for two weeks in October 2007, one month in the spring of 2008, and 10 weeks in the summer of 2009.
We have proof of my travel to Nigeria, a lot of phone bills, a few emails, photos, photos of gifts he gave me and receipts for gifts I gave him, some receipts and tickets from two trips we took together (but not all, because we didn't think we would have to prove we traveled together, so didn't keep all receipts), letters form two friends who met me with him in Asia, letters from his friends saying they met us together in Nigeria, a letter from my doctor saying I was trying to get pregnant, and evidence we went to an orphanage in Nigeria to inquire about adopting a child. We don't have much evidence that we knew each other in Asia. All photos are from my three trips to Nigeria.
He applied to immigrate to Canada in January 2007; the interview was in May 2009, and he was rejected. The visa officer said she didn't believe it was a genuine marriage. In particular, she didn't think we knew enough about each other. We appealed.
I have several questions: When will the appeal probably take place? How do they decide whether to use an ADR? What kinds of proof will I need to show that we have a genuine marriage, besides that which I have already mentioned (and which clearly wasn't enough)? Is there any way he can come to Canada while we are waiting?

kelemense

Nov 5, 2009
Going through ur story makes me feel unconfortable i must confess. My situation is even worse and i dont know what the outcome will be.
Am a Nigerian married to a canadian who i met on the internet.she was married before and had sponsored her spouse to canada though after 6 yrs together they got divorced.We got married after 10months of constant communication and was the first time she was visiting.she visited me 5 months after our wedding.
I have less proof than u and she has just filled in the applications.
I really dont know what my fate will be .I hope it wont be like urs

Gotchaa

Star Member
Aug 9, 2007
Canadianwoman, You got enough proof to win your case dont worry.....your husband was refused first time because they want to make sure you two are committed as a married couple hence they want to grind you through the process of appeal and thats all to it.....I had a worse case than yours yet we won our appeal in ADR and now I am in Canada since almost a year....submit all the proofs that you have mentioned and it will be better if you hire a lawyer to represent your case...this way you will not miss out any details in paperwork....the lawyers know how to make a file and submit it accordingly......but do think of other proofs in the meanwhile which will strengthen your case...for example if there is any insurance or medical plan which your husband has acquired and which includes you as his spouse or if he has any insurance with your nomination in it....plus you can also ask your friends to write a letter about your relationship addressed to the immigration counsellor describing their experience about you two.....it might take some extra time but eventually you will win your case I am sure.....wish you all the best.

Kelemense.....you seems like losing the battle even before it started.....hang on in their and show some fate on your relationship.....my case was similar to yours...my wife was married before and got divorced and she also sponsored her ex-husband and then later on she sponsored me and we won.....dont be passimistic...it will not help you to go through the vigrous process ahead...

kelemense

Nov 5, 2009
Thanks Gotchaa,
I appreciate ur soul lifting words .Not that am discouraged but i just want to know what lies ahead and how to tackle them.I m ready to go through anything that comes my way to make sure my wife and i leave together
I want to know ur story if u dont mind ,ur experience and advice.I believe they will help me alot.
Thanks again.