+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the best way to extend my Post-Graduate work permit?

In_Alberta

Nov 13, 2013
I studied in Canada for 5 years and got a 2 year PSGWP. It was two instead of three because of my passport expiry date. I got a new passport, but my PSGWP ends in about a month and a half. My common-law partner is going to sponsor me for a PR. I also have an outstanding fee with my former university, so it means getting transcripts or copy of my degree will be difficult. So what is the best way for me to extend my PSGWP?

Thank you for all your advice in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Send a copy of your old passport and new passport and a copy of your current permit and write on the work permit application form that your post-grad permit was only issued for 2 years because of your passport validity and you would like to extend it now for another year because you have renewed your passport.

You need to apply for this before your current permit expires and then you will have implied status to continue working. Preferably apply for it 30 days before your permit expires. If you let your permit expire without having applied to extend, you will have to stop working until your new permit comes through.

In_Alberta

Nov 13, 2013
So I guess I'll be again applying for my post-graduate work permit. This can all just be done online again, right? Or is the area where I can explain my situation only found in the paper application form?

btw it seems myCIC has changed since 2011. Does this mean that I have to register anew?

Thank you so much for your reply Leon.

hanzorama

Feb 11, 2014
I am going through this same process, sending a filled out im5710 with a cover letter, old and new passports, and copy of my permit (not the original?). Is the $150 fee required as well?

Scarlet9

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2013
AOR Received.
14-02-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
17-07-2014
Passport Req..
27-10-2014
LANDED..........
13-11-2014
I had to do this a few years back. I sent a copy of the work permit, old and new passports and a cover letter. I do believe another fee is required!

info.

Jan 16, 2016
hi folks, i have similar situation need to apply for work permit.

got a 2 year PSGWP. It was two instead of three because of my passport expiry date. I got a new passport, but my PSGWP ends in about a month and a half.

could someone help me out in filling work permit form's 3rd column which is as follows.

3.i am applying for one or more of the following:
1.a work permit with the same employer 2.an initial workpermit or a work permit with a new employer

3.restoration of your status as a worker 4.temporary resident permit

thank you in advance