+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what is the best mobile company to deal with?

Nkk

Apr 8, 2011
As a newcomer I am not sure which mobile company is the best to deal with .any advice?
Good day

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Nkk said:
As a newcomer I am not sure which mobile company is the best to deal with .any advice?
Good day
Go with WindMobile -- especially for a newcomer!
Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
wpc71 said:
What if you are in Ontario outside Toronto area?
Just too bad... then look for Chatr's home boundaries [another low cost option - but with good connectivity, it's Rogers]
Qorax

G Kann

Mar 29, 2010
I have read some horror stories regarding Wind. Its looks attractive but the service is something else. #

Why not try Fido. Cheaper than most. I have prepaid service $10 a month and you pay 10 cents a minutes for incoming/outgoing calls and 10 cents for outgoing texts in Canada and abroad. Incoming texts are free.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
G Kann said:
I have read some horror stories regarding Wind. Its looks attractive but the service is something else. #

Why not try Fido. Cheaper than most. I have prepaid service $10 a month and you pay 10 cents a minutes for incoming/outgoing calls and 10 cents for outgoing texts in Canada and abroad. Incoming texts are free.
It's one yr now that I'm with WINDmobile -- both, the Cellphone, as well as the Internet Stick -- I haven't faced any horrors as yet... not a single 'drop-call' as yet... probably I've been plain lucky, am I?

Cellphone : $25/month [Unlimited i/coming & o/going], no contract.
Internet Stick : $25/month [Unlimited Data]

Qorax

atethepaint

Star Member
Jan 13, 2011
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 27 2011
AOR Received.
July 20 2011
File Transfer...
July 7 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 22 2011
Passport Req..
Nov 20 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 28 2011
LANDED..........
Jan 22 2012
I personally advise Bell, although a lot of people will argue against that :)

I don't mind the contract, as I'm going to have a cell phone anyways, and they have have the best coverage in Canada. Everyone has different experiences, and I personally hate Rogers and Fido (owned by Rogers). Telus is also very good, although the farther east you go the less coverage you get.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
atethepaint said:
I personally advise Bell, although a lot of people will argue against that :)

I don't mind the contract, as I'm going to have a cell phone anyways, and they have have the best coverage in Canada. Everyone has different experiences, and I personally hate Rogers and Fido (owned by Rogers). Telus is also very good, although the farther east you go the less coverage you get.
No wonder Rogers is called 'Robbers' down the street !
But hey! Bell-Canada is as bad.. I had to discontinue their services due to continuous 'over-billing'... and their CSR sucks! But, that's my opinion...

Qorax

sokolov

May 13, 2011
Do not go with any of the three large brands (unless you are a big company with good price leverage). They will lock you into an expensive 2 or 3 year contract and prices are set to fall! You will still be paying huge amounts when the price points have dropped! So don't get locked in, even if the latest iPhone is very shiny on the shelf. If you are moving in, bring unlocked phones that work on the frequencies you need. (If you are going back and forth, some better Nokia phones are best: They are the only brand that has 5-band HSPA support.)

It is hard to buy unlocked, modern phones in Canada! There is hardly any phone market except for the operator's locked offers.

What is a good plan for you depends on where you are going to live and how you are going to use your phone. The new and cheaper networks (like WIND and Mobilicity) are only in the big cities. In these provinces, the bigger brands have lower prices then in other provinces. In some other areas, new networks are being built (for instance by Eastlink in Atlantic Canada) - so prices will drop there later on.

Personally, I have found Koodo Mobile to have the best offer - it is still extremely expensive compared to most European markets, Canada has the highest mobile telephony prices in the world. However, Koodo does not lock you in, you can cancel at any time. In most price plans, they don't charge extra for text messaging (the big brands will charge you even for receiving texts!) and Koodo's text messaging includes text to other countries. (Receiving texts from abroad might not work, depending on the operator texts are coming from. Koodo blocks incoming text messages unless there is a special contract.) With the LD & International Saver Add On for 2$/month you can make phone calls abroad for as little as 5 Cents/Minute. They have price plans with unlimited calling or unlimited incoming calls, and with a Nationwide Add On you don't have to think about where you are or where you are calling to in Canada. This is important to me because often you can not know from a phone number where that is (e.g. 902 is the area code for all of Nova Scotia and PEI - but if you are in Halifax most of the area would be Long Distance!).

All Koodo customers that are on the same contract can make local phone calls with each other for free. This is called Family Calling.

10% of your bill are returned to you in form of a "Tab" credit. You can collect up to 150$ that way and use them to buy a new phone. I think Verigin Mobile has something similar.

This winter, I've spent a lot of time investigating all the offers, and Koodo was the best for my needs since there is no Wind or Mobilicity in my area. Customer service could be better, they don't know a lot about their own business. :)

If you decide to go with Koodo and you know anyone who is already a Koodo customer, get a referral code for them. It will give both of you 25$ on the "Tab".

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25th 2009 ( at Sydney)
LANDED..........
December 29th
Friends I want to add that service at WIND is improving a lot.
They are really making wonderful efforts.
If you notice your call drops at a particular location - dial 611 from your phone and inform them.
Say that you suspect there may be an issue with their tower.
They are monitoring this and are upgrading/improving to the extent needed.
My own experience.

kshankar

May 14, 2010
oman
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
18.feb 2010
File Transfer...
Dec 2009
Med's Request
16 jun 2010
Med's Done....
22.july.2010
Passport Req..
25 March 2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 2011 with GOD'S will
Dear sir

Now I am ready to come to canada on Immigration. I have Nokia mobile E eries. Can i use it in canada?

your reply is valuable

k.shankar

qorax said:
It's one yr now that I'm with WINDmobile -- both, the Cellphone, as well as the Internet Stick -- I haven't faced any horrors as yet... not a single 'drop-call' as yet... probably I've been plain lucky, am I?

Cellphone : $25/month [Unlimited i/coming & o/going], no contract.
Internet Stick : $25/month [Unlimited Data]

Qorax

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is it compatible with 3.5G networks? If so or higher, it can be use in Canada.