+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is IELTS like for an already native English speaker/reader/writer/listener?

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
Can a native (university educated) English speaker/reader/writer/listener who has done the IELTS General tell me how was the exam?

How difficult/easy did you find the exam (considering that you are already a native speaker)?

gizmo59

Jun 7, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Donutbox

I did the exam last week and found it on the whole to be pretty straightforward. In terms of the listening test, the main issue is concentration as you only hear the recording once, so if you drift off a bit you'll miss answers! I found the reading more difficult than I expected, and I've got a masters degree, so am fairly fluent really! There was one section in which we had to read a paper that was divided into sections and allocate the appropriate heading to each section. I found this difficult as I didn't think the headings matched particularly well. The writing was fairly straightforward I think, as was the speaking. I'll let you know when I get my marks though!

gizmo59

Jun 7, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Have you got a date for your test Donutbox? I didn't do any practice for my test - I don't think it is necessary if you are a native english speaker, but others might disagree - have you been given any advice about this?

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
No, I haven't decided as yet. I hope practice really isn't necessary but I will probably want to review the Official IELTS Practice Material before I set a date for the test.

gizmo59

Jun 7, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Donutbox

Just to let you know I got a 9 for my IELTS test. I got 9s in all the sections apart from reading, for which I got an 8.5.

Does that set your mind at ease? I'm delighted. ;D

BritishExpat

May 1, 2012
Re: What is IELTS like for an already native English speaker/reader/writer/liste

gizmo59 said:
Hi Donutbox

I did the exam last week and found it on the whole to be pretty straightforward. In terms of the listening test, the main issue is concentration as you only hear the recording once, so if you drift off a bit you'll miss answers! I found the reading more difficult than I expected, and I've got a masters degree, so am fairly fluent really! There was one section in which we had to read a paper that was divided into sections and allocate the appropriate heading to each section. I found this difficult as I didn't think the headings matched particularly well. The writing was fairly straightforward I think, as was the speaking. I'll let you know when I get my marks though!
Agreed. I did it in January and drifted a bit during the listening. Also, reading I was tight for time, despite being native, and I'm a law graduate so used to dealing with complex issues under time. The main thing is to concentrate and work fast as you would do if you weren't a native English speaker, then the benefit of your superiour English will come through! If you allow your concentration to take a back seat then the non-natives who are using 110% brain power in the exam will catch up with you despite their worse English!

Good luck!!

gizmo59

Jun 7, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As I thought I lost marks for reading but still got 8.5 and got 9s for the other bits ;D

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
gizmo59 said:
Hey Donutbox

Just to let you know I got a 9 for my IELTS test. I got 9s in all the sections apart from reading, for which I got an 8.5.

Does that set your mind at ease? I'm delighted. ;D

Thanks, it certainly helps to set my mind at ease.

flossiebebe

Jun 12, 2012
As an exam preparation tutor and a native speaker I would suggest that you do a couple of practice writings, both part 1 and 2. Make sure to do them under exam conditions in terms of time etc. eg. only 20 min for part 1. Time constraints are real on the exam so i would urge some practice even for the other sections especially reading

kumarbadalabad

Star Member
Aug 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sir/madams, i thought i had 7 on the writing part. but got 6. i thought i composed good sentences. how to get at least 8 in the writing module?.. :)